N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tee-Roid

Car: 2009 535i
Default AEM 320 DIY for 2009 535? - 01-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Can somebody direct me to a AEM 320 DIY for the 2009 535? Ive been looking around but hadn't seen 535 specific. Also is the AEM 320 a direct replacement or will modifications have to be done? Also is there a special tool needed or not necessary?

Last edited by TeeRoid; 01-02-2014 at 10:17 PM..
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM

You need a 2 ft length of 5/16 Gates submersible fuel hose and a pair of fuel hose clamps (rounded edges so they don't cut the line). A few zip ties.

I don't have time to write up a full DIY, but basically you will be swapping out the stock LPFP with the AEM 320. Get the 320-E which is ethanol specific. It's a dark green color, AEM 50-1200. There's a cheaper black pump, AEM 50-1000. I'd go with the green one since we are running high ethanol mixes. $120 at Summit Racing.

Run the tank down to 1/4 or less, this way there will be les fuel to deal with. Disconnect the battery negative cable in the trunk.

Pull the rear seat off. Tug at the front edges and it pops free. Then unscrew both lids on each side. You can tap them loose by using a large bolt or something with a flat surface. A screw driver is a bad idea as it might break off the tabs on the metal collar holding the fuel bucket.
Disconnect the hoses on the left/driver side. This is so you can pull the hoses across and get access on the right/passenger side.
Notice the discharge hose coming out of the top of the pump. You need to remove that and the pump. It is heat shrunk onto the pump and the white connector in the middle saddle part in the tank. You can't disconnect it without pulling all the hoses across, that is why both buckets have to come out.
Connect the new Gates hose with your fuel clamp to the white connector in the saddle. Then swap out the oem pump in the bucket. Add a short piece of rubber hose to the bottom of the AEM pump per picture below. Use oem filter in the bottom of the bucket. Secure locking clips with ties. Close up the bucket and lid. Connect wires.
Be careful not to wrap the fuel hoses on the outside of the flipper arms (for fuel gauge). They need to be able to move to horizontal with no restriction. There is one in each side of the tank, connected to each bucket.

Hope this helps, here are some pics courtesy of Skysurfer.
Attached Images

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#3)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Ok great, thanks Ocean. I will get the pump on order and make this my next project...My only reason for this upgrade is because car is bucking and fuel pressure drops to 54lbs around 5500rpm..i do not have e85 in my area, but I will purchase the green pump, for future
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM

The AEM pump is rated 340 LPH. The stock VDO pump is rated 175 LPH.
There's no downside to making this swap, except it can be a PITA to open up the buckets and get access.
Very strange that you would see 54 LBS on pump gas. You are OK above 50, but quite surprising. Is it just a short dip or a sustained pattern where it drops and stays there? Sporadic dips don't really matter, it's about the pumps ability to produce sustained pressure as it is feeding the HPFP.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#5)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM

My fuel pressure is consistent below 4k rpm -67-70lbs, and then from 4k -6k-4k rpm its all over the place, plus it bucks. Well I looked on my log at the rpm the graph shows where it bucks, is where the fuel pressure dives to 50-54lbs. If I knew how to post a log I would.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

To post jpg or csv files:
1. Scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button near the bottom of the page and press it.

2. A Pop Up window will appear. If the file you want to load is on your computer press any "Browse" button.

3. Find and select the file you want to transfer from your computer and press the "Open" button.
The path name will automatically fill in.

4. Repeat 3 if loading more than one file by selecting another "Browse" button.

5. When all the files you want to transfer are defined, press the "Upload" button.

6. Scroll down to the middle of the Pop Up window to see the files that were transferred.
Incorrect files can be removed by selecting the file and hitting the "Remove Button".

Note: Not all file types/sizes can be transferred.
Scroll down to the bottom of the Pop Up window for the type and size limits on files to be transferred.

Remember to post logs only in the Help Section when Help is needed.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM

...Thanks