N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default Injector swap/replacement DIY for N54 - 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM

This should work with the N55 as well...but I can't say for sure.

Enjoy...Let me know if there are any questions or anything I need to change.

The DIY for the HPFP is in the works.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Injector DIY.pdf (1.33 MB, 4547 views)

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#2)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM

Excellent write up! Hope I don't need to use it anytime soon

335is DCT
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Meh...I hope I conveyed through the DIY just how easy it is.

Right now I'm working on injector isolation and calibration...so there will be more info on that coming as well.

Thanks

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 11-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Great keep it coming. Just saved it in my N54 file. Hopefully, won't need it for a long time!
(#5)
Old
Legend

Default 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM

great DIY, Steve.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#6)
Old

Car: 535 2008
Default 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM

nice writeup thanks
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 11-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Great DIY!

Thank for the effort.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M Sport
Default 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Nice write-up! Just one suggestion. I see you used a 12-point, 8mm socket to remove the bolt holding down the retaining clip. It obviously worked, but I believe the correct socket is a Torx E10. I suggest that anyone who does DIY on these engines pick up a Torx E-socket set since BMW uses Torx bolts quite extensively. You can get an inexpensive set on Amazon or at Harbor Freight. I think I paid around $20 for mine.

2010 535i M Sport - Platinum Gray/Dakota Black/Anthracite Bamboo
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, ER Charge Pipe, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 160 LED angel eyes
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2013, 03:51 AM

^nice...I don't have a set of those..thanks for adding the info.

(#10)
Old
Tee-Roid

Car: 2009 535i
Default 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Awesome write up!.....I didn't see an option for 535 in the DIY, only for 1 series and 3 series for coding the injectors....also, how can I get setup for coding my injectors and what are the costs involved?..thanks, awesome write up
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have no experience what-so-ever with the 535.

I didn't get in to software and PC setup in this procedure because it in itself can be a long and trying process for some while others have an easy time of it. While I did set mine up, I would not consider myself enough of an expert to instruct others with the obstacles they may face.

If you're fairly computer literate and want to set up the software yourself. Go to www.bmwcoding.com and "Beginner's Lounge", and the thread "Getting Started with Coding your car". You will need to create an account to access it.

You will also need to get the proper INPA cable to establish communications.

This one comes highly recommended and is the one I use.

Yes, some will say you can use the cheap ebay ones and others will argue the point...I don't have any experience beyond the one I recommended.

If you are PC challenged or have issues, I'd recommend wedgeperformance@gmail.com
He can get you setup on the software side, excepts donations for his services, and comes highly recommended. Personally, I spent hours getting everything right and finding all the software..Ken will likely save you hours of aggravation, well worth tossing him a contribution.

Best of luck and if you find that the 535 is the same or can't get answers...let me know and I'll dig in to it a bit more. I have others I can use as a resource or others may chime in.

(#12)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM

+1 on consulting with Wedgeperformance on such a task.
And even to determine if it is required.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#13)
Old

Car: 135
Default 12-02-2013, 08:06 PM

wedge is the man for sure! Helped me out!
(#14)
Old

Default 12-25-2013, 05:56 AM

Is the calibration process the same for the new index 11 injectors? thanks

12.5 @ 110 JB4 30% e85
(#15)
Old

Default 12-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Unfortunately, I have no experience what-so-ever with the 535.

Best of luck and if you find that the 535 is the same or can't get answers...let me know and I'll dig in to it a bit more. I have others I can use as a resource or others may chime in.
Other than the procedure for removing the cowling, everything else is the same in the 535i. You'll obviously need to select E60 instead of E90 in INPA though when it comes time to code the injectors. Both models use the same DME so all of the necessary DATEN files should be there, but I would verify that you can connect with INPA and read the injector values before beginning the injector swap. You don't want to swap the injectors and then find out you can't properly code the replacements.

Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, ER Charge Pipe, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 160 LED angel eyes
(#16)
Old

Car: 07 335i sedan
Default 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM

can I use this to code the injectors?

Bavarian Technic Cable Diagnostic / Reset Tool for BMW and Mini

Thanks
(#17)
Old

Default 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM

Nope...

(#18)
Old

Car: E39 530i
Default 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Does anyone have an old/bad injector they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks!
(#19)
Old
Legend

Default 05-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Cyl 6 has been throwing some intermittent misfires and causing rough idle.
Car is fine once I step on the throttle, but I replaced the spark plug and moved coils around. Still got some uneven idle.
I have the old -138 style injectors, so rather than buying a new set I picked up a refurbished one with new seals and fully tested. Installing and coding tomorrow. It was only $23 shipped on ebay, so if it works out I will buy a few more from same source to have on hand.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#20)
Old

Car: mine
Default 05-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Cyl 6 has been throwing some intermittent misfires and causing rough idle.
Car is fine once I step on the throttle, but I replaced the spark plug and moved coils around. Still got some uneven idle.
I have the old -138 style injectors, so rather than buying a new set I picked up a refurbished one with new seals and fully tested. Installing and coding tomorrow. It was only $23 shipped on ebay, so if it works out I will buy a few more from same source to have on hand.
Hey Ocean - how did this injector work out for you? Funny this past weekend I found this SAME vendor on ebay and ordered ONE as well (figured as a test - I can spare $23 to possibly save A LOT). I have ONE cylinder that the plug is fouling on (new plugs AND coils - less than 2k miles ago). No misfires reported but occasionally I get a rough idle on start. I plan to change out the injector with this $23 replacement and see what happens. But figured since I saw your post I'd see how you felt about the replacement part.

Steve

Steve
'08 335i 4drs - MHD E85mix/dci/c@t-less **/Alpina'd full sleeper mode and blowing doors off.
(#21)
Old
Legend

Default 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM

I had to go buy E sockets so I can pull the sucker. Didn't have time yesterday and travelling all week. I plan to do it on Saturday. If all goes will I will buy more and keep them in inventory as I am sure the seals will start leaking on the other ones at some point. They are original from mid 2007 build year.

Sleeper 5 series
(#22)
Old

Default 05-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I had to go buy E sockets so I can pull the sucker. Didn't have time yesterday and travelling all week. I plan to do it on Saturday. If all goes will I will buy more and keep them in inventory as I am sure the seals will start leaking on the other ones at some point. They are original from mid 2007 build year.
How about the one that was sent to you...was it in what appeared to be 'new' condition? Was it sealed? Ready to install or do you need to get any seals for it? I sent a question to the seller about it and never got a response and figured for 23 I could try it out...and I'm with you...I plan on getting a couple more for inventory IF the one I ordered works out.

Thanks again!
Steve

Steve
'08 335i 4drs - MHD E85mix/dci/c@t-less **/Alpina'd full sleeper mode and blowing doors off.
(#23)
Old
Legend

Default 05-05-2015, 06:39 AM

The injector has new gasket on the tip and looks like new.
But I can't attest to the performance until I get it installed this week-end.
Seller said he was getting out of the N54 business, so whatever he has left is it. I was hoping he could retip my old ones.

Sleeper 5 series
(#24)
Old

Default 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The injector has new gasket on the tip and looks like new.
But I can't attest to the performance until I get it installed this week-end.
Seller said he was getting out of the N54 business, so whatever he has left is it. I was hoping he could retip my old ones.
Hey Ocean - did you ever get this installed? Was the injector complete and ready to be installed?

I have mine but have not opened it until I'm ready to install it (just in case it's sealed or something). I want to be sure that when I change this (possibly this weekend) I have all the seals / parts needed to install it.

Thanks!
Steve

Steve
(#25)
Old
Legend

Default 05-19-2015, 05:13 AM

Yes, sorry. I installed it a few weeks ago and it fixed my problem. Turned out the seal was completely gone on my no 6 injector. As soon as I removed the bracket that holds it in place (with no 5) it came right out.
I bought 5 more from same guy so I can replace the remaining as preventive maintenance. Then the guy will add new seals to my original set so they can be used on a different car.
Btw I bought a large pick after watching a Youtube video of a tech lifting the injectors by using one under the front bracket of the injector. He'd wriggle the tip a bit to push it out. It's held in place by the seal.
When I installed it I just placed it in it's spot, then slowly tightened the bracket. Coded with INPA and voila.
The engine ran a bit rough for a few secs, then settled down and is smooth as ever.

Now I have a different issue as my RBs need servicing. They are going through a quart of oil every 2-3 weeks and causing blue smoke. Will need to remove and send to Rob for servicing and rebalancing. 3 years and 30k miles. Yikes.

Sleeper 5 series