N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tee-Roid

Car: 2009 535i
Default Truth About HPFP, Injectors and coils - 01-29-2014, 01:49 AM

First of all, I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade...After reading many many old and new posts on this site and other sites that cater to the E60 motor, I see that the Big 3 are always having issues and need replacing.
Now, myself, and everybody reading this post have spent thousands of dollars on our cars, and thousands more on mods. It seems that the Big 3 will constantly have to be replaced. How often, IDK? That's the reason for this post, because I enjoy driving this car, a bunch. And I was hoping someone could speak on this with experience. I've always wanted a luxury sedan and I found it in this car. I got rid of my old hotrod chevy because of constant carb issues etc. I do understand performance vehicles will have some maintenance issues, but I"d like to know the truth about the HPFP, Injectors and the Coils.
Are the new HPFP, replacement coils and injectors any better quality, or are they the same quality as the OEM that was installed which had to be replaced? What is the lifespan on the new injectors and coils? Anybody have coils and injectors that have been replaced that are a couple years old while running FBO?...I'm not looking for a fight or a debate, just real world experience from fellow enthusiasts.
Thanks guys for all comments, this site has helped me get my car where it is, and its still a work in progress, just have some maintenance to keep up, I think its time to replace injectors but only want to do it once..... I can barely type so please excuse errors.
(#2)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM

I tend to run with a "preventative maintenance" approach, so often replace things when they don't *need* to be replaced.

eg Just after I got my 2008 535i (2.5 years ago) I was getting a coil failing when running some of the higher boost mods. So I went ahead and replaced all of them. Since then I haven't had any issues even with the extra mods (including RBs).

I've never had to change my injectors even with the e85 blend. Just haven't needed it.

I *have* noticed that I have to change my plugs more often. I've used 2 sets in the 2.5 years I've owned the car. First set was as an improvement, decided to use the NGKs as I was moving towards running an ethanol blend. Then after that the 2nd set it was just time.

I never had a problem with my HPFP. But in the quest for more power I had the HPFP upgraded and (long story short) ended up taking it out and replacing it with one of the new model brand new OEM HPFPs. That was probably 6 months ago and it's been running strong ever since. Even with the RBs, E85 and "driving style".

I did tweak my fuel system quite a bit when trying to support higher fuel loads. It was a process of elimination with mod after mod. But eventually the *right* solution for me was a straight up replacement of the LPFP with a AEM 320e. It's also been going really well since install.

The only thing that was super frustrating was the water pump died on me a couple of months ago. Not a lot of warning (as I had the radio on and didn't hear the fan kick in). Replaced that with a new one and it's been all good.

Hope this "War and Peace" response helps.

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#3)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Ok, thanks aoschadlin. That's the information I'm looking for. Hopefully more will chime in..
(#4)
Old

Car: '08 535xi
Default 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM

I put JB4 G5 on mine last year and immediately had FT misfires. All I did was change the plugs with new OEM Bosch and it's been fine. Date codes on the coils? 11/07. The plugs that came out had gap erosion to about 2x new.

(#5)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool
I put JB4 G5 on mine last year and immediately had FT misfires. All I did was change the plugs with new OEM Bosch and it's been fine. Date codes on the coils? 11/07. The plugs that came out had gap erosion to about 2x new.
What does "FT" mean and how do you find the date code?
(#6)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM

FT= full throttle. The date codes are printed on the body of the coil.

(#7)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 01-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
FT= full throttle. The date codes are printed on the body of the coil.
Ok....the coils I have don't have a date on them, they may be original coils that I took off. I didn't check the new installed ones.

This is what it looks like.....v 7571643 80-02
0 221 504 470
08-09-32 D 03177
BOSCH ALL CEM 01

Last edited by TeeRoid; 01-30-2014 at 08:20 PM..
(#8)
Old

Default 02-01-2014, 11:13 AM

OE coils are laser marked on the housing with logo, part number and date code.

(#9)
Old
Tee-Roid

Default 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
OE coils are laser marked on the housing with logo, part number and date code.
Well I guess this is at least the second set, Bosch brand is what Im having to replace.