N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte5 GT
Default sluggish after intake install - 10-07-2020, 02:43 PM

Hi,
Installed SXTH Element intake and now it feels sluggish.
Could it be running a little lean now?
If so, will the the fuel trims eventually adapt?

Thanks,

2020 Forte5 GT
CAI
JB4

(#2)
Old

Car: 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport
Default 10-07-2020, 02:57 PM

I've seen multiple people report the same thing with our cars and short ram intakes.

You lose some bottom end but gain a considerable amount of power on the top end.

The best intakes for our cars are the boxed off ones like the AFE takeda. Some people report similar results with the SXTH pipe by attaching the stock airbox to it with an adapter. You lose the sound with boxed intakes though

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport
  • JB4 Map 1 wired connection
  • 93 Octane
  • HKS M45XL spark plugs
  • Pierburg EBCS
  • SXTH AV6 BOV
  • Dual OCC
  • SXTH V2 Engine Mount
  • SXTH rear sway bar
  • Shifter Bushings and Boomba short throw adapter plate
(#3)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 10-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Open Element/Hot Air Intakes on modern turbo cars are just for making noise.

You have a 2020 Forte5 GT which means you are in Canada. That means E85 is largely unavailable to you.

STOP!

Since you made the mistake of buying that intake and then ask questions like if fuel trims are the problem means your level of knowledge of modern turbo cars is very low.

Octane is the main preventer for making more power. 93/94 octane is not knock free fuel.

Your next modification should be Burger Motorsports Water-Methanol system and sell your intake to recoup the cost, you should break even.

You'll make more power with those two parts than anybody else does with FBO on pump gas.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-07-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfourmonie
Open Element/Hot Air Intakes on modern turbo cars are just for making noise.

You have a 2020 Forte5 GT which means you are in Canada. That means E85 is largely unavailable to you.

STOP!

Since you made the mistake of buying that intake and then ask questions like if fuel trims are the problem means your level of knowledge of modern turbo cars is very low.

Octane is the main preventer for making more power. 93/94 octane is not knock free fuel.

Your next modification should be Burger Motorsports Water-Methanol system and sell your intake to recoup the cost, you should break even.

You'll make more power with those two parts than anybody else does with FBO on pump gas.
Yes, this is my first turbo and I'm learning.
The reason I asked about the fuel trim is from my experience with my Harley. As soon as I opened up the intake and exhaust it was way too lean and required a tune.

I just looked at the WMI and I don't think I want to do that.
Seems a little too invasive for my taste

I bought a Jb4, but it is currently just a brick... It died on day 2. Still waiting to hear from Burger on that. I hope that isn't a waste of $ too. Still haven't heard back from Burger support on that, not sure how fast they usually respond

2020 Forte5 GT
CAI
JB4

Last edited by theshanestation; 10-07-2020 at 04:29 PM..
(#5)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 10-08-2020, 05:27 AM

Did you email tech support?

That said Terry watches the forum, he'll respond.

DI cars are closed loop and adjust all the time, I don't know about Harley Davison Motorcycles not the most advanced things on the planet

WMI is not evasive at all. You can install it in less than two/three hours. The hardest part is 1 gallon tank, use the washer tank or 2.5 gallon tank. If you use the washer tank, you can always replace it when/if you sell the car.

The rest of it bolts-in and can be resold later as well.

How did you brick the JB4???? It's electronics the do go wrong sometimes. Mine has been flawless.
(#6)
Old

Default 10-08-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfourmonie
Did you email tech support?

That said Terry watches the forum, he'll respond.

DI cars are closed loop and adjust all the time, I don't know about Harley Davison Motorcycles not the most advanced things on the planet

WMI is not evasive at all. You can install it in less than two/three hours. The hardest part is 1 gallon tank, use the washer tank or 2.5 gallon tank. If you use the washer tank, you can always replace it when/if you sell the car.

The rest of it bolts-in and can be resold later as well.

How did you brick the JB4???? It's electronics the do go wrong sometimes. Mine has been flawless.
Modern HD work the same as modern cars. Closed loop with all the same types of sensors and tables. You can flash and tune them as well as any performance car. You'd be surprised how advanced they are now.
Of course every type of engine (car, bike or other) will have their own particularities.

I emailed tech support on the weekend about the jb4 and also posted here. Still no response. It was working for 1 day then after doing a firmware update I can no longer connect via Bluetooth and the car is permanently in limp mode with jb4 connected. I had to remove it from the car.

Need to get the jb4 working before even thinking about WMI.

2020 Forte5 GT
CAI
JB4