N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Sedan
Default Not seeing the performance I was expecting - 05-28-2020, 09:26 PM

Hey gang,

I had a bone stock N54 E90 just running a JB4 with E85 and had a wonderful time with that car. There was a noticeable difference between OEM and JB4 performance.

After being without a turbo BMW for about five years, I just purchased a bone stock N55 F36. I added a JB4 today and am just not noticing any improvement in power. I then added about 30% E85 on map 5 with no love.

I have verified can connections and everything looks good there.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could look at or consider?

Thanks for the help!
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 05-29-2020, 06:05 AM

Can you post a log in the support section?
(#3)
Old

Default 05-29-2020, 06:51 PM

I have some general logs from city driving with some brief pulls. Is there specific type of activity I should log?
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 05-29-2020, 10:55 PM

Logs should be done in WOT 3rd gear, 2k to redline, traction fully disabled

2007 e90 335 - BMS DCI - JB4 - feline less - AFE scoops -VRSF CP - HKS BOV - VTT PCV - BMS Cowl Filters - Muffler Delete - PUMP BEF - e30
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-30-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogybren
I have some general logs from city driving with some brief pulls. Is there specific type of activity I should log?
Hey,

Proper logs are done in 3rd gear, WOT, 2k to redline, traction control fully disabled.

The more info about your setup, the better (fuel, parts etc).

Welcome back too

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM

Thank you everyone!

Attached are a couple of pulls.

Is it normal for Ign 1 to be spastic and frequently hit zero?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M5_R2_200530_1204.csv (29.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: csv P10_M5_R1_200530_1435.csv (14.7 KB, 57 views)
(#7)
Old

Default 05-30-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Hey,

The more info about your setup, the better (fuel, parts etc).
Bone stock with JB4 for EWG. 30% E85 70% 91 Map 5.

Quote:
Welcome back too
Thank you! Truly awesome to be back!

Last edited by boogybren; 05-30-2020 at 06:08 PM..
(#8)
Old

Default 06-04-2020, 10:09 AM

Bump
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-05-2020, 09:29 AM

What fuel are these logs with?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-05-2020, 09:43 AM

30% E85 70% 91
(#11)
Old

Car: '12 135i
Default 06-05-2020, 11:27 AM

First try setting your DWP to 60 to start with. Version 18 of the firmware allows you to control where the JB4 comes off spool and your setting is 0. During spool you should see WGDC values of 99 and your logs don't show that. This is most likely why you are not feeling the boost like you should. Next try the JB4 back-end flash (requires MHD). Your timing looks really good. Eventually you'll want to read the FF/WGDC tuning thread and start making adjustments to get the most out of the JB4. Map 5 is fine if you will be varying your octane. Map5 worked great on my car initially even before the BEF and learning how to "tune" the JB4. Your AFR's are really lean as well, but timing is good (but running a little richer might produce more power).

Jim
'12 135i DCT N55 : FBO : PS2 : JB4 : MHD BEF
(#12)
Old

Default 06-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuehl
First try setting your DWP to 60 to start with. Version 18 of the firmware allows you to control where the JB4 comes off spool and your setting is 0. During spool you should see WGDC values of 99 and your logs don't show that. This is most likely why you are not feeling the boost like you should. Next try the JB4 back-end flash (requires MHD). Your timing looks really good. Eventually you'll want to read the FF/WGDC tuning thread and start making adjustments to get the most out of the JB4. Map 5 is fine if you will be varying your octane. Map5 worked great on my car initially even before the BEF and learning how to "tune" the JB4. Your AFR's are really lean as well, but timing is good (but running a little richer might produce more power).
Thanks Jim.

I have a WiFi OBDII adapter en route as we speak so that I can start loading BEF. I'll update the DWP and see how that goes as well.
(#13)
Old

Default 06-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Before applying the BEF, I ran with the same fuel mix on map 7. It seemed a bit more performant.

After doing the MHD OTS flash with the E85 BMS map with JB4 on map 5, the power seems a lot more linear and not quite as exciting. Map 7 was a little better.

Attached is a pull on map 7 post BEF.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M7_R1_200610_1404.csv (13.3 KB, 48 views)
(#14)
Old

Default 06-10-2020, 06:30 PM

Just bumped my 91 octane/E85 mix to 50/50 and left it on map 7 and that seemed to put a little bit of fight back in the dog.

I know that N55's tend to have a weak high pressure fuel pump and that Terry recommends map 7 to be "Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.".

So I am completely ignorant as to the harm I could do to my vehicle but it's running like a champ at the moment.

What gotcha's should I be aware of with my current configuration?
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2020, 06:39 AM

Not really any “gotcha” but more rather your car is so under target up top, which is why it feels dead.

Past 5k you are 6+ psi under target.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 06-12-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Not really any “gotcha” but more rather your car is so under target up top, which is why it feels dead.

Past 5k you are 6+ psi under target.
Should I be looking at boost leaks or restrictions?

Or something else?

Will missing targets cause any damage?
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Should I be looking at boost leaks or restrictions?

Or something else?

Will missing targets cause any damage?
Easiest and cheapest place to start is boost & vac leaks

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 06-12-2020, 03:34 PM

Let the fun begin! Thanks to everyone who chimed in here.

I will search the forums and YouTube but if you happen to know of a comprehensive howto on troubleshooting boost issues, I’d be grateful for the referral.

Make it a great weekend all!
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-13-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Let the fun begin! Thanks to everyone who chimed in here.

I will search the forums and YouTube but if you happen to know of a comprehensive howto on troubleshooting boost issues, I’d be grateful for the referral.

Make it a great weekend all!
Enjoy the weekend.

I’m sure if you YouTube “boost leak test n54” something will pop up. Just make sure you are using enough pressure.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 09-20-2020, 11:13 AM

After addressing any boost leak issues, what is the next troubleshooting step? I’m still not hitting my boost targets higher in my RPMs.
(#21)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
After addressing any boost leak issues, what is the next troubleshooting step? I’m still not hitting my boost targets higher in my RPMs.
Do you have a current log?

The stock turbo is not very efficient up top, so depending on how much boost you are targeting.. that may be part of the issue.

What did the boost leak test turn up, how much pressure did you push thru?

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Default 09-22-2020, 04:17 PM

Here’s a new log after charge pipe has been replaced.

I have been super disappointed with the N55 vs N54. It didn’t take much to get power all through the revs on the N54.
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Boost is dropping off more than I'd expect, you have an EWG connector right?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default 09-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Correct.
(#25)
Old

Default 09-28-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
What else should I look at to troubleshoot this?