N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2012 135i DCT
Default Log Review Request: e82 - n55 - Map 5 + BEF - 92 octane - 01-04-2020, 12:16 AM

Just installed my JB4 mobile so I've got some logs to share. Let me know what you're seeing.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-03 19_15_28_Map-5.csv (8.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-03 19_10_51_Map-5.csv (6.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-03 19_07_38_Map-5.csv (6.4 KB, 71 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-04-2020, 10:31 AM

You don’t got WOT in any of these logs.

We need better ones to evaluate.

Proper logs are: 2k to redline, WOT, 3rd gear, traction fully disabled.

Thanks!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 01-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Ah, my apologies. The two I've attached below are the best I could get today:

2012 n55 135i, DCT transmission, 92 octane, BEF, traction control all the way off
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-04 11_48_25_Map-5.csv (18.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-04 11_53_43_Map-5.csv (61.3 KB, 67 views)
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-04-2020, 04:45 PM

Corrections across multiple cylinders- not too surprising given the fuel.

Do you have access to better gas or even some e85

Bump your Fol up by 10

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 01-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the fast response, Dave.

Fuel was from 76 here in Oregon, and I'm assuming it's a winter formulation. I just did a quick search and can get e85 only a few places here in Portland, but what ratio should I be looking for of 92oct to e85? Failing that, any other brands you'd recommend for 92?

I will bump my FOL from 60 to 70.

See anything else concerning? I noticed a couple entries where boost levels hit/exceeded 18 PSI.
(#6)
Old

Default 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM

Still with me, Dave?
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM

I’d start by just adding 1-2 gallons of e85 to the existing to bump up your octane a bit. Hopeflly that'll clean up the timing.

If you were looking to run an ethanol blend regularly - a good place to start is e30 or so- you’ll want to monitor your fuel pressure, most when looking to run e30+ end up upgrading their LPFP

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 01-07-2020, 10:54 PM

Got it -- thanks!
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-08-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoPsam
Got it -- thanks!
Also, if e85 isn’t super convenient, doesn’t look like there is an abundance of stations by you, methanol isn’t a bad choice either.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Exclamation 01-12-2020, 01:00 PM

I didn't get any WOT runs in yesterday but after bumping FOL by 10 (60 >> 70) and adding 2.5 gallons of e85 to ~10 gallons of 92 octane (which puts me at e25 or less by my calculations), I'm seeing some high boost spikes -- up to 21 PSI -- way over target.

Roads were still a little wet so traction was a problem. Don't know if that contributed to the high boost numbers.

One more variable: I upgraded JB4 firmware since the last logs: 5/16//1 >> 5/17//1
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-11 12_03_19_Map-5.csv (6.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-11 11_57_47_Map-5.csv (2.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-11 12_17_02_Map-5.csv (6.5 KB, 68 views)
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-13-2020, 12:34 AM

We’d need to see WOT logs- these are all really short.

Map 5 can also be a bit tricky, and takes some time to adapt.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 01-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Should I reset adaptations?
(#13)
Old

Default 01-18-2020, 07:39 PM

I was able to get a few quick ones today, and I'm still a little concerned about such high boost:
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-18 13_46_43_Map-5.csv (10.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-18 13_50_37_Map-5.csv (8.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-18 13_58_31_Map-5.csv (9.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-18 14_01_22_Map-5.csv (8.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-18 14_02_53_Map-5.csv (8.5 KB, 63 views)
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-18-2020, 11:11 PM

Although these are a bit short/ not full pulls- they get cleaner as you go.

You aren’t much over target- looks like about 1 psi early in the pull & then you fall in line

timing however could use a little work & we can work on getting boost a bit more on target

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM

1.) So it's okay to push 18-19-20 psi on a basically stock n55?

2.) I assumed the "boostsafety" value of 18 meant that I shouldn't see anything over 18 psi. If that's not the case, can you help me understand this value a bit better?

3.) I have the back end flash. How close should my "ECU_PSI" be to "boost"?

4.) What are the next steps regarding timing? I didn't test the e85 at the pump so it's possible it's closer to e70 due to winter.

5.) I noticed these latest logs have "59" as the value for e85, while the earlier logs on the same tank of fuel were "50." What does this value represent?

----------
New logs attached:
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-19 13_38_35_Map-5.csv (11.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-19 13_34_06_Map-5.csv (9.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-19 13_04_17_Map-5.csv (9.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: csv 2020-01-19 13_03_32_Map-5.csv (8.3 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by PseudoPsam; 01-19-2020 at 04:09 PM..
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

Are these logs full e85?

Can I see a log in map 2?

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 01-20-2020, 02:26 PM

No, these latest logs are on the same tank from before: ~e25

I don't have a ******* ******** -- still try map 2?
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Let’s see map 1

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 01-21-2020, 08:10 PM

Alright, I'll log on map 1 when I can. Rain is the forecast for the foreseeable future, so it could be a week. In the mean time, could you address my numbered questions from a couple posts up?
(#20)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-22-2020, 12:00 PM

Boost safety doesn’t tell your car what it will see, it’s a value you set so IF the car happens to boost over say 18- you will be thrown to map 4. It’s a user defined value.

E85- depending on area- winter blend, yes I’ve seen ethanol content @ the pump as low as e58/60 - so it would be smart to test the pump you go to, so you can see exactly what you’re getting.

The 50-59 value you are seeing is an estimate of your e85 content- it can / does vary - it’s virtual - it’s not 10000% precise, which is why we still recommend at minimum our test tube/ tester kit, and some go the full flex fuel sensor / analyzer route too.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 01-22-2020, 06:45 PM

Got it -- thanks. For the boost safety set to 18, why didn't I get kicked into map 4?

Could you speak on question 1.) about the safety of such high boost on a stock n55? I'm worried about damage and would love to hear your thoughts.
(#22)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-24-2020, 08:47 AM

It’s a short blip & you go back down close to target- personally I don’t think it does / or would damage anything, seeing that it doesn’t force you crazy lean.

You weren’t kicked because you weren’t over safety long enough.

Set your duty bias to 50 across the board it’ll help you / us dial in your curve

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear. I will set duty bias to 50 across the board.

Here's a quick one from yesterday with zero changes from previous logs. I notice target boost stays fairly low, or at least lower than last week:
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-25 10_57_10_Map-5.csv (15.7 KB, 63 views)
(#24)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-27-2020, 07:13 AM

Overall this looks okay, a few corrections on cyl 6.

Map 5 being auto-tuning isn’t going to be the most consistent map day to day, week to week- which is why it map feel a little different.

What are your goals moving forward? Do you want to stay using map 5? Or one of the preset defined maps?

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Default 01-28-2020, 10:57 PM

Goals: as much power as I can reliably and safely push.

As for map choices, I read a post from Terry that as long as the octane is there, Map 2 can be run without a c'less **. What are your thoughts on that one?

One more: What are your thoughts on Map 6 for me?