N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '14 X1 35i, '87 325i MTech1
Default N55 PWG Misfires - 06-15-2020, 05:17 AM

Just wanted a quick consensus with those on here with more experience.

Not seeing much online about N55 MOSFET failure. Does the MEVD1726 have a better track record than the MSD80? I suppose, if they were similar, I would be seeing 3 cylinder fails (the two MOSFET banks), not just 2?

Just popped codes for Cyl 2 & 6, for both misfires and injector deactivation, and obviously the "general" misfire and injector deactivation codes. 3rd gear, went WOT around 3k, limp mode and flashing SES around 5 or 6k. Very shaky, boxer-like exhaust note (only running 4 cyl now). No smoke, white or black/blue.

After getting off the road, I shut the car off, and restarted. Didn't get a chance to drive, but the cyl deactivation went away, revved freely, and would build boost. Codes persisted.

Plugs are probably 20-25k miles old, so probably want to change them anyways.

After that, if the codes don't clear, or plugs don't look too bad, I will try swapping coils to isolate.

I did have an injector fail in the past, but it failed "open" and the exhaust looked like a fog machine. Again, 2 and 6 are in different banks as far as injectors are concerned, so for these two to fail on the same pull seems coincidental.

Anything my thought process missed, or any personal/similar experiences?

N55 PWG
JB4 ISO/FF
BMS BEF (pump)
BMS Intake
ER CP
VRSF DP
N20 plugs gapped for/using ~E35
xHP stage 3
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-15-2020, 05:57 AM

Sounds like your are on the right track.

Any current WOT log ?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-15-2020, 06:21 AM

I have one from a few days ago possibly. I didn't want to go WOT while in boxer-mode, and after I restarted the engine, I was at work in the parking lot. I'll have to grab one today after work (if it doesn't drop me into limp before getting on the highway). Let me email my most recent log to myself from my tablet, and I'll post it.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-15-2020, 07:14 AM

So, it appears I have an older log, from beginning of May. Then a partial pull log in 5th gear from late May. Not sure if there's good data here.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200505_183633_runs(1).csv (20.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: csv 20200528_192455_runs(1).csv (9.1 KB, 36 views)
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-15-2020, 09:41 PM

Eh not a ton of useful info.

Did you ever swap coils etc to try & isolate?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-16-2020, 02:51 AM

Not yet. I'm couch surfing right now, with all my tools at the back of a storage unit... Sold my house right before COVID, and now can't continue my move. Might have time to dig my tools out this weekend
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-16-2020, 06:44 AM

Sounds good.

Stay safe

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 2013 bmw 135i (e82 n55)
Default 09-04-2020, 08:17 PM

It sounds like we are having the same problem - 2A15 Low Voltage Short, Misfires, Failed DME? - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#9)
Old

Default Super Knock - 09-25-2020, 04:09 AM

Been a while since updating...

I'm now in Alaska. No more E85 or 93... Stuck with 89.

Not getting the SES or full cylinder shutdown anymore.

My issue now, is super knock codes. Current codes are 2F7C and 2F7A. No limp modes as of yet. But I can feel the power cut. Almost feels/sounds like a DSG/DCT gear change (burble-y fart, if you will). This is probably the fuel injector deactivation I'm hearing.

I have pulled multiple cylinders a time or two, but it's mainly #5 that I can get to pop up.

Some back story:
Changed plugs, since they were due anyways. Haven't swapped coils yet to see if it follows. Reason being, I can't really find a correlation in any logs. I have not yet been able to capture a hard power cut on a log, though. That is the next logical/cost free step on my list. I tried some octane booster (Lucas or STP) that claimed it was actually raising 3 full numbers, not the fractions of an octane point like most gas station brands. The car ran even worse... Haven't decided if it was the booster, or the generally-agreed-upon "crap" gas available on base here. I have been filling up off base since. Much better, but not fully healthy. Still getting injection shutdown periodically.

Another thing to note, it isn't just "high load/low RPM", "high RPM/WOT" scenarios. The only consistent ways it cuts fuel, is mid-RPMs where the turbo spool is very quick, without the high RPM tapering of the stock turbo. And when cruising I'm 4th or 5th, and right after the gear drop and boost builds. I haven't been able to find the post again, but I did read somewhere about a guy having worn engine mounts that were triggering the knock sensors. Mid range/full boost and gear drops are right where the mounts take the brunt of their beatings. I can also admit to my fair share of brake boost launching.

Besides swapping coils to rule them out, I will also be (or attempting) to check the engine mounts. I'm tempted by the 034Motorsports version that eliminates the fluid chamber, but retains most of the "comfort" and appearance of the stock mounts.

After that novel, I'm also attaching a few recent logs, as I'm no master when looking for knock-causing parameters.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P5_M5_R1_200918_212218.csv (10.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: csv P5_M5_R1_200913_180603.csv (10.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv P5_M5_R1_200913_180535.csv (11.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by E30_Crazy; 09-25-2020 at 11:25 PM..
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-03-2020, 06:18 AM

the knock may be coming from the lack of octane, dropping from 93 down to 89.

You are getting a bit of timing corrections on multiple cylinders as well.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 10-08-2020, 08:48 AM

Should I pull off the BMS BEF then, and run JB4 only? I didn't have an issue with the JB4 on map 5 the last time I lived in Alaska/stuck with 89.