N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i
Default New to BMW just installed JB4 - 08-15-2020, 04:01 PM

I bought this jb4 off another forum member. Installed on new to me 335i pwg f30 just today. It had an older firmware that wouldn't allow me to save any settings on dash except map, so I updated it. Logs look different now. Target is way lower for some reason. Some times it pulls good, others it feels off. Anyways, here's a map 1 log. I'm familiar with reading logs. I tuned my other car with HPtuners, but i'm still learning this platform. So far i've only installed a charge pipe. Trims look high to me, but I'm not sure how high is too high. Timing looks ok, but boost is lower now than before i updated firmware.

Should I flash a jb4 bef?

edit: 93 octane
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200815_1813map1.csv (11.1 KB, 24 views)
(#2)
Old

Default 08-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Should I copy the settings from the f30 guide on here? here are my current settings.
Edit: I copied over the settings and everything feels good. I think I need to figure out how to tune those settings to my car, like wgdc and FF. I think I get the boost now, just add ecu psi to target. I'm guessing target is now just what jb4 is adding to ecu, old firmwares added it.
Attached Images

Last edited by bandook; 08-15-2020 at 04:54 PM..
(#3)
Old

Default 08-16-2020, 12:43 PM

Think this is a better log. I replaced plugs today. Timing looks good. I guess I still don't understand why the boost target is like 4 the whole pull. And i'm only seeing 9psi for a brief second. Isn't map 1 supposed to be +4? No throttle closure and timing is good, seems like I should be seeing more boost. I tested map 2 and it seems to target boost where it should, but I'm getting throttle closures so I'll save that for when I get dp installed.

Got a lpfp low pressure code. I noticed that I was only getting a reading on it on my first 2 scans, every scan after it stays at 0. Just a coincidence that my lpfp sensor died right after installing the JB4?

Edit: Just tried Map5. Feels a lot better. It's targeting higher boost now and I've learned boost2 is manifold boost, good to know. I'll try to get a better log, i short shifted a lot and the log is messy. Low fuel pressure is still not logging, but i didn't get a code on this run. Edit: I read that N55 doesn't have this sensor, but some say F30 does? If it doesn't I don't know why I would get a code though.

BTW, I have no idea why but my gauge menu settings don't match any that I can find online.
Attached Files
File Type: csv map1good.csv (7.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv map5.csv (362.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by bandook; 08-16-2020 at 05:36 PM..
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-16-2020, 07:55 PM

Are you logging with traction fully disabled?

Welcome btw!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM

The stage 5 map was for sure. I'm gonna get you some better logs though. Thanks for stopping in!
(#6)
Old

Default 08-17-2020, 05:10 PM

Here are two logs on map 1, and two map 5. Map 5 definitely feels better than 1. Mid-range pulls stronger. Haven't seen it run this rich before, though. Might just be the heat and the dme throwing fuel at the high iat? Also noticed one map 5 run, cylinder 5 advance was seriously lagging. Same 93 octane, 8 speed sport tranny, tc off, 85 degrees outside. Is it worth it to put a little e85 in a fairly stock setup? I plan to have the catles$ dp installed this week. Really would just like to know if you see anything weird. I still don't understand trims and what I can do in user adjustments to help but i'm studying. And thanks for taking time to look at my logs, really appreciate it Dave!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200817_1916.csv (11.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv 200817_1927.csv (9.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv 200817_1932.csv (9.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv 200817_1954.csv (9.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by bandook; 08-17-2020 at 06:53 PM..
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-17-2020, 07:26 PM

Timing doesn’t look great.

How old are the plugs

Could throw in 1-2 gallons of e85 to see if that helps too

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM

New plugs. Ngk 97968 @ 22.
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-18-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook
New plugs. Ngk 97968 @ 22.
Try closing the gap a bit, maybe .020

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 08-21-2020, 07:13 PM

Ok, so made some improvements. Reason my last logs looked like doodoo was i had loose plugs. Install error using crappy HF torque wrench. Snugged 'em down. Also since the car has 93k, I got new coils. Plugs gapped at .020, but probably wasn't necessary with above fixes. Also installed catles$ DP and cleaned the intake valves. Now, the car is a smooth as butter. Silky smooth. Trims and timing look great! Almost no throttle closures. Still wouldn't mind you taking a peak at my logs if you have a sec. Linked a map 2 and a map 5 log. In map 5 when I hit 5th gear I think high IAT's caused retard and throttle closure?

Should I reset the Duty Bias back to 50, or will it self adjust?

Thanks for the input!!!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 200821_2130.csv (8.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv 200821_2136.csv (9.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by bandook; 08-21-2020 at 07:19 PM..
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-22-2020, 05:49 AM

Hey, so where did you get those duty bias values from? They look a bit off.

You can set those to default if you want.

Same fuel?

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 08-22-2020, 05:54 AM

I dunno where they came from, lol. They were all 50. I just guessed that they auto tuned when on map 5 or something. Same Shell 93.
(#13)
Old

Default 08-22-2020, 10:14 AM

So this happened. Hoping the JB4 just crapped out. Just limped it back home. Making the siren sound because wastegate seems shut at idle, showing boost at idle. Was running fine, drove it around for an hour, wasn't beating on it. Finally got on the highway and opened it up for maybe 3 pulls. Made a stop, came back to car and started it in this condition with the loud whistle sound. Also noticed the JB4 wasn't logging anything but a couple parameters.

Edit: so I let the car sit for 20 minutes, restarted and it's running fine. Because it wasn't logging but just a few parameters I'm thinking a bad ground or the board is going out? Sucks that it would fail with wastegate shut. The noise was probably air squeaking out the crank seals.

Edit: Bad ground. Strut mount bol t seems to be a bad spot for a ground. I tested it with a meter. Connected to battery jump lug and all is well!
Attached Images

Last edited by bandook; 08-22-2020 at 11:29 AM..
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So this happened. Hoping the JB4 just crapped out. Just limped it back home. Making the siren sound because wastegate seems shut at idle, showing boost at idle. Was running fine, drove it around for an hour, wasn't beating on it. Finally got on the highway and opened it up for maybe 3 pulls. Made a stop, came back to car and started it in this condition with the loud whistle sound. Also noticed the JB4 wasn't logging anything but a couple parameters.

Edit: so I let the car sit for 20 minutes, restarted and it's running fine. Because it wasn't logging but just a few parameters I'm thinking a bad ground or the board is going out? Sucks that it would fail with wastegate shut. The noise was probably air squeaking out the crank seals.

Edit: Bad ground. Strut mount bol t seems to be a bad spot for a ground. I tested it with a meter. Connected to battery jump lug and all is well!
As I was reading this, I was saying sounds like a ground issue.

Glad that all is good.

Fix those duty bias values & throw up a log

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 08-29-2020, 05:33 PM

Here is a map 5 log. Cleanest run i got tonight. Boost seemed lower on this run though, I see higher boost at other times. Been on map 5 for some miles now with 2.5 gallons of e85. Thinking about trying the race bef. I did have a 1f0525 (fuel pressure below target) code thrown. It put me in limp mode when I gassed it in 8th gear...forgot I was in manual mode and it didn't downshift.

Edit: Ah, I'm understanding boost more now. I compare it with ecu psi and boost is right where it should be. Has taken me awhile to understand this JB4 magic, i'm starting to get the hang of it, lol. Thanks again for taking the time to look over my logs. Really helps having a pro's eye on it while I'm getting my head around this new platform.

Boost is a little under target and duty bias has climbed again. Should I raise FF to like 70?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P12_M5_R1_200829_193437.csv (10.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by bandook; 08-29-2020 at 06:12 PM..
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-30-2020, 06:59 AM

Glad you are getting it

It can be a bit daunting in the beginning, as the JB4 forces you to become more familiar.

You can lower FF, or adjust your duty bias settings to raise boost in the specific area.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 09-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Had the map codes reappear today. Checked over my connections and everything looks good. I redid the power wire anyways. So I find a ground trace burnt out on the board. Wish I checked the board before I installed it. It was likely like this, I've been very careful when messing with the JB4, hooked up with battery disconnected. Anyways, I did a quick fix on the circuit. It still had continuity before the fix but was probably current limited.

How's the board look, Dave? When searching I did hear of issues with a certain revision for pwg f30's. What do you think I should do? I'm half tempted to just go flash tune but we'll see how this runs for now I suppose.

For some reason I'm limited to very small file uploads now, no idea why. Had to shrink the pics to 10%
Attached Images

(#18)
Old

Default 09-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Here's higher res.

Edit: just got back from a test. Whatever circuit that was made a hell of a difference! I'm seeing 17-18 psi targets in map 5 The long log that I got started with 13-14 psi targets and ended at 17+. Fuel pressure looks good but afr's look a little high. I'll get a clean log up soon. But sheesh, i broke the tires loose (ps4s) doing 55! First time that's happened.

Ah, so my trims are maxing out. Same tank with 2.5 gallons of e85. So I have to use less E85, or will the BEF help?

Last edited by bandook; 09-05-2020 at 06:24 PM..
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-06-2020, 07:43 AM

BEF will 100% help trims & AFR

I’d load that ASAP & we can start dialing her in

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 09-06-2020, 05:18 PM

Is this fast enough? lol. Whatcha think doc? I'm thinking fuel pump might be getting stressed, not sure though. I took it up to 30% E just for kicks. Feels pretty good but boost is a little under target, maybe? Definitely feels snappier down low around town. 2 logs of map 5, after letting it settle in, and one map 2.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P12_M5_R1_200906_193333.csv (14.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: csv P12_M5_R1_200906_193004.csv (10.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: csv P12_M2_R1_200906_193852.csv (11.4 KB, 14 views)
(#21)
Old

Default 09-15-2020, 05:13 PM

Here are a few more pulls. I can't figure out why it's spooling to 21psi. When it hits that high my HP pump falls off. Think I should take it back down to E20 or so until I get better fueling. But maybe if it wasn't spiking boost it would be ok? I'm little lost here for direction, Dave. I've experimented with user adjustments but couldn't do anything to help. If i took PID higher the duration it was overboosting was shorter. And map 4 doesn't overboost. Help please kind sir.
Attached Files
File Type: csv map2.csv (4.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: csv map 4.csv (4.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv 4TH GEAR PULL.csv (5.2 KB, 12 views)
(#22)
Old

Default 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM

Anyways....
I got some help from Fuel-it on another forum. Set wdp to 0 and it's not spiking boost any more. They are out of pump canisters to exchange so I'm gonna run less ethanol or none for now. Really not sure how much more I can get out of the stock turbo anyways.
(#23)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Anyways....
I got some help from Fuel-it on another forum. Set wdp to 0 and it's not spiking boost any more. They are out of pump canisters to exchange so I'm gonna run less ethanol or none for now. Really not sure how much more I can get out of the stock turbo anyways.
Did you have plans to upgrade the turbo?

That's where the fun starts...

Burger Motorsports