N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default Log Review Request - 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Finally got a chance to log some pulls, been running JB4 for a several months now with no BEF as of yet. Current upgrades are as follows:

5" FMI
Charge Pipe w/ BOV
3" ******* *********

Everything is stock. DCI's on order, patiently awaiting their arrival.

Logged two pulls under Map5 & Map1. Prior to installing **'s JB4 would hold Map5, now it reverts to Map4 four out of five times. Review and recommendation would be greatly appreciated....Cheers

191102_2139_FT_Map5_01.csv

191102_2139_FT_Map5_02.csv

191102_2139_FT_Map1_01.csv

191102_2139_FT_Map1_02.csv
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 E60 535i
Default Lean condition - 11-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro.step
Finally got a chance to log some pulls, been running JB4 for a several months now with no BEF as of yet. Current upgrades are as follows:

5" FMI
Charge Pipe w/ BOV
3" ******* *********

Everything is stock. DCI's on order, patiently awaiting their arrival.

Logged two pulls under Map5 & Map1. Prior to installing **'s JB4 would hold Map5, now it reverts to Map4 four out of five times. Review and recommendation would be greatly appreciated....Cheers

Attachment 90931

Attachment 90932

Attachment 90933

Attachment 90934

Did you say you installed C-A-T less down ***** ? (Not sure why it block out the word "***", but it does). Maybe you knocked an 02 sensor or something when you installed them?
Reason your being kicked into MAP4 I believe is this: Your AFR is really lean (In my opinion, reading 15-16 and should be down between 11.5 - 12.5 under a WOT load, more fuel, less air) and your Trims are often stuck all the way at max with a value of 50 and they should be closer to 25 +/- 10 or so. Therefore, the ECU see's this lean event after about 2 full seconds, tries to add more fuel to richen up the mixture but can't (when trims are all the way up to 50, it's maxed out with no more headroom) therefore it pulls timing, drops the target boost and in this case it took your target to 8 immediately and kicked you into stock settings, MAP4. You can also see the ECU attempt to close the throttle without you taking your foot off the pedal (see RPM 4,800 range roughly, there's a partial closure on uploaded MAP 5 _02.)

Did it throw any codes? I also am running without a BEF and am waiting for a new cable as my attempt to load one failed (cable died one minute in, wiped ECU data but couldn't write new data) and rendered my car dead until I can attempt to re-flash again. However, I've never had this issue your experiencing to this degree but when I did have a small amount of high trims, raising my FOL setting from 70 to 80 fixed it. But I would guess that since this only started once you changed your ***'s it might have something to do with an O2 sensor.

Please know I'm only giving advice and could be completely wrong, but based on what I've seen in responses from the pro's, they would point out your high (maxed) trims at 50 and a lean condition. You may be able to change your FOL setting higher than 90 which is where it was set when you posted the logs, but I think you need to reduce fuel demand by other means and getting a pump back end flash may get you sorted out.

I'd read this on N54 tech as it talks about some of what you're experiencing and how to make changes to fix the issue.

Logging Parameters and their Meaning - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Hope it works out well. Enjoy the hell outta your car once BMS get's you sorted out. I know I will when mines back up and running!!

Brandon

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#3)
Old

Default 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Yep c.a.t less down-p.i.p.e.s, not sure why it does that either, lol. But I definitely didn't damage the O2's...I actually replaced them with new ones since I would have them out.

As far as error codes go, it's been throwing a 29F3 since I got the car, but never triggered a service engine light (I'll be replacing the fuel pressure sensor and line when it arrives).

But since I installed the p.i.p.e.s it's now throwing a 29F4, 29F5 and 2DED. The 29F4/5 I get and I believe will be taken care of with a BEF, but the 2DED has me baffled.
(#4)
Old

Default 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM

That's strange. How long till you can do a BEF? Might get things settled ...

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#5)
Old

Default 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Looking to get one right away, as soon as I do some research on exactly what licenses I need to purchase.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 11-04-2019, 02:16 PM

Your trims max- / force you lean.

Hence the map 4 / safety throw.

I’d load the BEF that should help with the trims / afr issue

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Your trims max- / force you lean.

Hence the map 4 / safety throw.

I’d load the BEF that should help with the trims / afr issue
Ok. If I understand correctly it would it be the: JB4_I8A0S_PUMP_USA and not the JB4_I8A0S_PUMP file, correct?

I have a E90 335i with a manufacturer date of 07.2007.
(#8)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM

I ended up loading the 'JB4_I8A0S_PUMP' file, and I could notice right away a smoother idle. Did a few pulls and this was the last one (w/ stock intake filter). AFR looks better and fuel trim didn't max out.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 191105_2246_Map5_03.csv (7.2 KB, 76 views)
(#9)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I ended up loading the 'JB4_I8A0S_PUMP' file, and I could notice right away a smoother idle. Did a few pulls and this was the last one (w/ stock intake filter). AFR looks better and fuel trim didn't max out.
I'm having trouble since I loaded the JB4_I8A0S_PUMP_USA file and not the regular PUMP file. Figured the USA version was for gas specific in the states but maybe not. If I don't get sorted better tomorrow after Dave looks at my logs, I may just try the non USA file instead, can't hurt.

Your looking better for sure with that last log. Not so lean. However, enable 6-cyl timing in your JB4 setting. When looking at the log cyl 2-6 is blank, wasn't recorded. Once you do so, they'll want you to do another log. Figured I'd save you the time, if you can, do it tonight and repost it, they'll see it tomorrow morning you'd be a step further ahead in getting results.

Either way, looking better, that's a good sign your on your way. Curious if the USA file I loaded for the BEF was the right choice since I'm having timing/fueling issues now and it worked well for you......I may have to re-flash and take a midnight run for a new log now lol.

Brandon

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#10)
Old

Default 11-06-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelstad
I'm having trouble since I loaded the JB4_I8A0S_PUMP_USA file and not the regular PUMP file. Figured the USA version was for gas specific in the states but maybe not. If I don't get sorted better tomorrow after Dave looks at my logs, I may just try the non USA file instead, can't hurt.

Your looking better for sure with that last log. Not so lean. However, enable 6-cyl timing in your JB4 setting. When looking at the log cyl 2-6 is blank, wasn't recorded. Once you do so, they'll want you to do another log. Figured I'd save you the time, if you can, do it tonight and repost it, they'll see it tomorrow morning you'd be a step further ahead in getting results.

Either way, looking better, that's a good sign your on your way. Curious if the USA file I loaded for the BEF was the right choice since I'm having timing/fueling issues now and it worked well for you......I may have to re-flash and take a midnight run for a new log now lol.

Brandon
So coincidentally I did one more pull to make sure the auto-tune was dialed in, and the infamous misfire surfaced on cylinder #4. I replaced the plugs back in Dec. and I know I haven't put 5k miles on them yet. So I'm going to order some new coils and some 2-step colder plugs to be safe, and try it again once I get them all swapped out.

I'm also going to look into enabling the 6-cyl timing...I thought I mirrored all the settings from the JB4 sticky thread, but I'm going to triple check. Thanks for the recommendations!
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-22-2019, 12:11 PM

Let car sit overnight & pull that plug if it’s wet it’s likely an injector.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default Update - 12-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Let car sit overnight & pull that plug if itís wet itís likely an injector.
When I saw your post, I was crap...those are gonna set me back, lol. But it made sense they would be the culprit, since I had just replace all coils and plugs, as well as cleaned the intake ports. And sure enough they were. Once I replaced the injectors, the misfire/rough idle during warm up went away...it's been crispy for the last several weeks. Thanks for you help.

That being said, I now have for sale a used set of Index-7 injectors, lol. Only one (cylinder 3) was a little leaky and would cause a misfire/rough idle during cold starts.
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
When I saw your post, I was crap...those are gonna set me back, lol. But it made sense they would be the culprit, since I had just replace all coils and plugs, as well as cleaned the intake ports. And sure enough they were. Once I replaced the injectors, the misfire/rough idle during warm up went away...it's been crispy for the last several weeks. Thanks for you help.

That being said, I now have for sale a used set of Index-7 injectors, lol. Only one (cylinder 3) was a little leaky and would cause a misfire/rough idle during cold starts.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default Single Turbo - 07-26-2020, 08:47 PM

Finally switch over to a single turbo setup (docrace 62mm).

Running 92/93 pump for now, so just looking to dial in the map 2 setting.

Logged two pulls today, map 2 feels fairly choppy tho, not sure why.

Seems like it's have a hard time trying to regulate boost...not sure.

I can go into more detail about my setup if need be.

But any help is greatly appreciated....cheers
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200726_2153.csv (6.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: csv 200726_2203.csv (8.1 KB, 18 views)

Pre-LCI E90 335i
DOC Race ST 6266 | ARM 3" CP w/ Tial BOV | ARM 5" Stepped FMIC | VRSF 3.5 Catback Exhaust | JB4 G5 ISO | Fuel-It FI-650HP w/ +525 | Index 12 Injectors | NGK-97506's | N20 3.5 Bar TMAP | 4-Port MAC | 60A Poly Engine Mounts | RB External PCV w/ BMS OCC's
IG: @lambda.rich
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-27-2020, 10:22 AM

LPFP looks like it’s maxing out, touching into the 50s

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 07-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
LPFP looks like itís maxing out, touching into the 50s
Perfect...I get to spend even more money hahaha

Thanks for you help Dave. Upgrading fuel pump next....eventually, lol.

Pre-LCI E90 335i
DOC Race ST 6266 | ARM 3" CP w/ Tial BOV | ARM 5" Stepped FMIC | VRSF 3.5 Catback Exhaust | JB4 G5 ISO | Fuel-It FI-650HP w/ +525 | Index 12 Injectors | NGK-97506's | N20 3.5 Bar TMAP | 4-Port MAC | 60A Poly Engine Mounts | RB External PCV w/ BMS OCC's
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-28-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Perfect...I get to spend even more money hahaha

Thanks for you help Dave. Upgrading fuel pump next....eventually, lol.
#n54life

Enjoy the rest of the week.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 10-17-2020, 10:30 AM

So......I've upgraded the LPFP (FI-650HP ) and logged a couple pulls targeting 17psi. The first one was a bit choppy still, but I logged two additional pulls and by the third one it was noticeably smoother.

If it needs more pulls to smooth out the tune I'll happily to give it what it needs I installed a 3.5 TMAP sensor in the event I have enough fuel to support 20+psi.

But I'm attaching the first & third logs for review to make sure.

Thanks in advance, Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: csv 201016_2257.csv (6.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 201016_2306.csv (7.3 KB, 9 views)

Pre-LCI E90 335i
(#19)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 10-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So......I've upgraded the LPFP (FI-650HP ) and logged a couple pulls targeting 17psi. The first one was a bit choppy still, but I logged two additional pulls and by the third one it was noticeably smoother.

If it needs more pulls to smooth out the tune I'll happily to give it what it needs I installed a 3.5 TMAP sensor in the event I have enough fuel to support 20+psi.

But I'm attaching the first & third logs for review to make sure.

Thanks in advance, Cheers
Fueling looks good. I dont see mods (maybe because im on mobile), but if you turn it up....do it slowly. Dont know what fuel you are on.