N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#2626)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT
Default 09-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Here is a datalog at idle then a small short distance drive.

Everything look ok?

Thanks Terry.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-16 09_54_00_Map-5.csv (36.4 KB, 5 views)
(#2627)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_stinger
Here is a datalog at idle then a small short distance drive.

Everything look ok?

Thanks Terry.
Unless you are trying to diagnose some specific issue any non-WOT log isn't going to be useful for providing you tuning advice.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2628)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_stinger
Good Morning Terry,

Would you be able to tell if a spark plug is bad from a data log(Parked while iding)? I seem to feel and see the motor vibrating. Doesn't seem right to me..
No we won't be able to. Poor idle is usually a vacuum leak. If a plug was bad you'd get misfire codes.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2629)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboettcher81
Did a few passes earlier this week. Car feels great. Launch control with the diff bracket on Map 2, even with all that torque still rips with very little wheel spin (RWD Stinger here).

I'm not sure what the ignition timing is supposed to be @ WOT but everything else seems ok I think?
Looks normal to me.

Burger Motorsports

(#2630)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3t Sport AWD
Default Map#5 - 09-17-2019, 06:14 PM

I Terry,
Do you think I can try map # 5 if I use 94 octane gas + boostane to increase octane up to 105...there is no ethanol 85 in canada?

can I damage something or the system is going to to protect himself???

Thanks!
(#2631)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Yes that should be ok. Not likely to damage anything but when it comes to tuning more boost more risk all else being equal.

Burger Motorsports

(#2632)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3t Sport AWD
Default 09-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes that should be ok. Not likely to damage anything but when it comes to tuning more boost more risk all else being equal.
it's only for one or two 1/4 mile races ... I made a bet with a friend and he does not believe that a Genesis G70 can roll down 12 seconds and I miss him almost nothing with a time of 12.04 in map # 3 ... after having my little piece of paper I return to map # 2 which is very satisfactory!
(#2633)
Old

Car: 2019 Kia Stinger GT
Default 09-18-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Looks normal to me.
Thanks Terry.
(#2634)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoracing1
it's only for one or two 1/4 mile races ... I made a bet with a friend and he does not believe that a Genesis G70 can roll down 12 seconds and I miss him almost nothing with a time of 12.04 in map # 3 ... after having my little piece of paper I return to map # 2 which is very satisfactory!

Burger Motorsports

(#2635)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger
Default 09-19-2019, 01:08 AM

I just got my JB4 with fuel wires installed on my AWD GT, only mods are a DIY CAI and Denso plugs at .022 gap. I'm limited to 91 octane fuel.

Same section of road and IAT was 96 deg and 75 deg ambient at the start of each pull to try to minimize variables.

I need to figure out how to view these logs in graphical form on my laptop but haven't researched it yet.

Attached are two logs, Map 0 and Map 1 0-100 mph with launch control. It didn't feel like as big of a gain as I was expecting after reading everyone's reviews so I'm hoping you can look over the logs and see if everything looks correct.

What I'm curious about is:
-Is it required to engine off/engine on after changing maps to get the change to "take"?
-Whether 10-12 psi is normal for stock/map 0?
-Whether it looks like I'm getting the right amount of added boost with map 1? Seems a little low to me (13-13.5 psi average?).
Whether it looks like I can try map 2? To me it doesn't look like it's detecting knock currently but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your time.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-19 01_39_13_Map-0.csv (10.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-19 01_53_50_Map-1.csv (10.6 KB, 11 views)
(#2636)
Old
Kia Efficinato

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Default 09-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger-Performance
I just got my JB4 with fuel wires installed on my AWD GT, only mods are a DIY CAI and Denso plugs at .022 gap. I'm limited to 91 octane fuel.

Same section of road and IAT was 96 deg and 75 deg ambient at the start of each pull to try to minimize variables.

I need to figure out how to view these logs in graphical form on my laptop but haven't researched it yet.

Attached are two logs, Map 0 and Map 1 0-100 mph with launch control. It didn't feel like as big of a gain as I was expecting after reading everyone's reviews so I'm hoping you can look over the logs and see if everything looks correct.

-Is it required to engine off/engine on after changing maps to get the change to "take"?
-Whether it looks like I'm getting the right amount of added boost with map 1? Seems a little low to me (13-13.5 psi average?).
Whether it looks like I can try map 2? To me it doesn't look like it's detecting knock currently but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your time.
-No. You can change maps while driving.
-Yes. Factory tuning is limited to 12psi peak.
-Yes. I believe each map adds approximately 2 psi.
-Yes. 91 octane is fine for map 2 and could work for 3 possibly.

-MurlinatoR

Connoisseur of all things Kia
(#2637)
Old

Default 09-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanks. Mine doesn't seem to take the map change until a power cycle. I put it in valet mode to verify and it stayed there until I turned it off and back on. Searched around and found no mention of needing to do this, hence the question.

Hoping Terry will look at my logs.
(#2638)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 09-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Mine doesn't seem to take the map change until a power cycle. I put it in valet mode to verify and it stayed there until I turned it off and back on. Searched around and found no mention of needing to do this, hence the question.

Hoping Terry will look at my logs.
I would wait for terry to give the ok for your map 1 then try out map 2 on 91. I would never even try to run map 3 on 91 without a good octane booster or adding e85.
(#2639)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
Map1 looks ok. You can log map2 for comparison.

Burger Motorsports

(#2640)
Old

Default 09-21-2019, 12:18 AM

Is there a way to log time in seconds with the ECU's real-time clock so datalogs can be used to precisely extract 0-60 or 0-100 times?

Quote:
Map1 looks ok. You can log map2 for comparison.
Here are two 0-100 pulls on map 2 with 91 octane, let me know what you see. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-21 01_24_03_0-100-Map-2.csv (10.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-21 01_34_15_0-100-Map-2.csv (10.8 KB, 7 views)
(#2641)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-21-2019, 08:33 AM

The speed reading isn't accurate enough for anything other than 0-60mph estimates which the JB4 mobile app provides. Get a GPS based dragy off our site for reliable performance metrics.

On map2 still some timing movement but I think it's probably OK. Sort of par for the course for 91 octane. If you limit the tuning to perfect timing you may have to detune from factory.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#2642)
Old

Default 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Thanks, I'll use MAP 1 most of the time and just go to MAP 2 if at the track or something and it's not too hot out. I plan to use an E30 mix in the future to try higher MAPS.

Three Questions:
-Is there a post-intercooler air temp sensor on these cars? If so what channel is it in the datalog?
-Does the Stinger have enough fuel flow capacity and closed loop AFR tune adjustability to run straight E85 if on MAP0 (to save my wife money when she's driving it since E85 is about $0.80 less per gallon than 91)?
-Are you aware of anyone putting an AWD Stinger on a 2WD dyno with the AWD fuse removed? I'm wanting to do so but I'm not sure if it will act weird if it doesn't get a front tire speed reading and thinks it's a burnout or something.

Last edited by Stinger-Performance; 09-21-2019 at 11:22 AM..
(#2643)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM

IAT is post intercooler on the manifold.

No you can't run more than E30-E40 before the high fuel pressure pump can no longer keep up at higher boost levels.

On disabling AWD for dyno don't know much about it sorry. It's been tried but I don't have details or know if it worked right.

Burger Motorsports

(#2644)
Old

Car: Veloster N
Default Veloster N - JB4 log - 09-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Hi Terry,

Just got my JB4 installed and recorded a third-gear pull (very slightly uphill)

Ambient temp was 93F

Forge Turbo Inlet
Forge Intake
JB4 (latest firmware) - Map2

Look okay?
any tweaks we could do?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv map2_gear3.csv (8.0 KB, 6 views)
(#2645)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcChip
Hi Terry,

Just got my JB4 installed and recorded a third-gear pull (very slightly uphill)

Ambient temp was 93F

Forge Turbo Inlet
Forge Intake
JB4 (latest firmware) - Map2

Look okay?
any tweaks we could do?

Thanks!
Looks as expected to me for a Veloster. I tend to like staying on map1 or map2 for those so I'd stay here.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#2646)
Old

Car: 2019 Kia Stinger GT1
Default 09-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
You can upload your Logs to a site called Datazap and analyze them a little better too.
(#2647)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Terry, I'm wanting to be able to view these logs myself so I don't have to bug you every time I make a change. I've got a lot of tuning/datalog view experience, just not with Kia's or the JB4.

What should I be looking for in the IGN traces that determines safe vs not safe? I know it's the timing based on knock but what's the threshold you use to determine what's OK vs not?

Are you looking at cylinder to cylinder variation or looking at the total timing values or something else?

Is there a limit to how much timing the knock sensors can pull? Another application I mess with can add or remove up to 6 degrees for example.

Are the IGN channels total advance (the actual timing value each cylinder is seeing) or is it compared to a base value or what?

Thanks for your time.
(#2648)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Reading timing is more of an art than a science. Look for timing variances between cylinders, specifically 3 degree timing drops in specific cylinders that repeat or form a downward staircase. That usually indicates you're close to the octane limit.

Burger Motorsports

(#2649)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Can you post an example picture of a log showing the timing drops that repeat just so I'm sure I understand what to look for? Hate to kill an engine because of a misunderstanding. Thanks.
(#2650)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM

There are lots of logs posted in the thread with feedback provided. But next time I see a good example I can post it here.

You're not likely to kill an engine no matter what you do as the factory knock DME safety systems are pretty good especially when combined with the JB4 specific safety features for boost and fueling. Usually if you go too far on the performance map performance winds up being worse than the lower boost map.

Burger Motorsports