N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M240i
Default BMS WMI Installed - 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM

I just finished the installation and all is going well. I'll get some logs posted up soon, but wanted to share the only issue I ran into during the install.

I had to file down the bottom right edge as it was contacting the throttle body. If left alone, I couldn't tighten the intake pipe properly. The filed area ends up being on the side that can't be seen easily since it's on the bottom. The piece had to be filed a little bit more than what is shown in the picture. I thought it was good until I installed and it was still hitting a little. I'm not sure if there's something that's changed on the throttle bodies since the spacers were made or if there's a machining step missed. It was a simple mod and all is well now.

Logs will come soon. Great kit overall and very easy to install. Instructions provided what is needed and I had no issues with purging and/or driving the car afterwards on additive 40.
Attached Images

(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-17-2018, 05:24 AM

Looks really good, get some logs and post in the support so we can evaluate.

First time for that, probably a one time case because they are cast. Glad that's an easy fix.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Looks really good, get some logs and post in the support so we can evaluate.

First time for that, probably a one time case because they are cast. Glad that's an easy fix.

WOW! I thought the car was fast before... I was way wrong. What a night and day difference with WMI. By the time I was done and had FF learned in, the car was a monster.

Basic Info:
M240i w/muffler delete
AFE Dry Intake Filter
JB4 w/FF and WMI (No EWG)
Boost Juice 50/50
Dual BM7's in BMS Adapter
Boostane on 91 = Octane>96
87 degree ambient
Meth Add = 40
Meth Scale = 60
Meth PSI = 13.1
Meth RPM = 3500-7000

Meth PSI and RPM may seem odd to some, but I'm a bit old school with Meth. I treat it as an additive that takes over just before the stock system would normally need it and only at RPMs greater than or equal to 2500. I figure the stock system is set for a peak of 15psi. After reviewing the log and PSI levels, I'll back rpm to 3000 and relog. Using 13.1PSI (Jb4 wouldn't take 13 flat) seems to be perfect. Thus far there's no hesitation in any gear and the car just rips. Doesn't matter if in comfort, sport or sport +. ECO?? Does anyone use that setting? LOL!

I'm noticing that IAT remains high, since WMI is after the TMAP. Obviously WMI is working or Trims, timing, etc. would not being doing so well. I do worry that IAT may be holding back some timing though. I'm interested in your input and review. Thus far... very impressed and very happy.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Meth_Baseline.csv (8.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JBoe; 09-17-2018 at 09:54 PM..
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-18-2018, 05:11 AM

Very healthy indeed! For the IAT why don't you try the FUD bit 2 setting for the spoof to see if that helps bring timing up.

FUD:
bit0 - Disable in dash BC button controls
bit1 - Disable wastegate adaption.
bit2 - Full time IAT spoof (for testing)
bit3 - Raise "boost over stock" cap from 10psi to 20psi.
bit4 - Disable startup sweep
bit5 - Disable CANbus when boost is less than 1.5psi
bit6 - Unused
bit7 - Force actual boost value out MAP sensor (for testing)
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Thank you, sir. I will try the IAT spoof after a few more updates. I want to lower RPM trigger to 3000 and try dropping FOL to 10 for slightly better trims that stay at 25 or above. I've noticed that our cars seem to prefer that. I'll post logs as I go through my trials. Again, thank you for the assist/review.
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Nice! Tempted. Did you run the lines outside or inside the car?

|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M Performance exhaust|CG 5" catted|BMS intake|JB4 Map 5: 410RWHP & 426 FT-LBS|BMS Meth kit Dual BM7 nozzles: Awaiting dyno results|
(#7)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
WOW! I thought the car was fast before... I was way wrong. What a night and day difference with WMI. By the time I was done and had FF learned in, the car was a monster.

Basic Info:
M240i w/muffler delete
AFE Dry Intake Filter
JB4 w/FF and WMI (No EWG)
Boost Juice 50/50
Dual BM7's in BMS Adapter
Boostane on 91 = Octane>96
87 degree ambient
Meth Add = 40
Meth Scale = 60
Meth PSI = 13.1
Meth RPM = 3500-7000

I'm noticing that IAT remains high, since WMI is after the TMAP. Obviously WMI is working or Trims, timing, etc. would not being doing so well. I do worry that IAT may be holding back some timing though. I'm interested in your input and review. Thus far... very impressed and very happy.
Agree on overall WMI benefit and on IAT observation. You won't see IAT drop during meth spray but it's working.

I think stock on M240 is 14 psi. I measured a lot when I first installed JB4 with some Map 4 logs. It climbs relatively slowly to 14 at WOT but stays there very well.

Good luck with the IAT spoof - I was advised it was experimental only and to shut it off after a few runs, but that was before I added meth. Let us know if you observe a difference.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#8)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
My run was inside. The line run is very easy once you know what to do. You need to run both the meth tube line and the long red pump power line. Remove driver's side footwell panel, driver's door interior sill panel, pry the left rear quarterpanel loose (do not remove), remove the long vertical corner piece of your left rear seat, and remove the panels in the middle of trunk and the trunk floor liner. I did not have to remove trunk side liner panels (those are more difficult). If none of this makes sense LMK and I'll post photos. I am long overdue on a DIY anyway.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#9)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I ran them inside down the drivers side. Seemed the easiest to do and worked out well.
(#10)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
Agree on overall WMI benefit and on IAT observation. You won't see IAT drop during meth spray but it's working.

I think stock on M240 is 14 psi. I measured a lot when I first installed JB4 with some Map 4 logs. It climbs relatively slowly to 14 at WOT but stays there very well.

Good luck with the IAT spoof - I was advised it was experimental only and to shut it off after a few runs, but that was before I added meth. Let us know if you observe a difference.
IAT spoof would be the last tuning attempts. For now, I'm trying to get the correct Min RPM activation and proper FOL. I'm narrowing it in and should be good by the weekend. From there, it's adjusting additive to maximize the 50/50 mix while maintaining a safety net. Hardest part is waiting for FF to adjust between each change. It's close, so it only take about 3 pulls, but that proves difficult since I don't have a runway to work with. lol.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340i Xdrive
Default Meth not spraying - 09-21-2018, 02:15 PM

Installed WMI on 340i. When i hit ďprimeĒ it sprays. But when in map 7 i go into WOT the graph on the jb4 app. Methanol stays flat. I couldnít really open her up but I couldnít feel any difference. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-21 12_14_13.csv (15.2 KB, 16 views)
(#12)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-21-2018, 02:36 PM

Additive setting?
Min flow boost setting?
Min RPM setting?

EDIT: saw your min flow boost at 10 (lower it to 9); additive at 40 is ok. What is your min RPM setting?

Last edited by MasterYous; 09-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Clarity
(#13)
Old

Default 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Additive setting?
Min flow boost setting?
Min RPM setting?
Additive:40
Signal Scaling:60
Min flow boost 10.1
Min rpm:3500

Also tried with min flow boost at 6.0
Amd still flat line
(#14)
Old

Default 09-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Does this look right?
Attached Images

(#15)
Old

Default 09-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Turn everything under ethanol setup to "off" or not green. Also, try putting FUA back to 0. Then relog and see if it activates.
(#16)
Old

Default 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Ok guys... FF has learned in and stabilized over the last week. I've modified some settings, but not by much. The pull I did this morning was rock solid and had only a hint of overboost in 5th gear. Throttle closure rained it in without an issue. I'm very happy thus far and think I'll stop here until I get a draggy to see where the car has landed at for times. All I can say is, "She FLYS!!"
Attached Files
File Type: csv Meth_Final-40add.csv (10.1 KB, 14 views)
(#17)
Old

Smile 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Turn everything under ethanol setup to "off" or not green. Also, try putting FUA back to 0. Then relog and see if it activates.
Perfect. I did what u said. I didnít change the Future A left it at 10 but turned off all Ethanol settings. And it worked
My understanding there should be just 1 toggle that controls that.
Now i need to adjust to give me more boost
(#18)
Old

Default 09-22-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsorussian
Perfect. I did what u said. I didnít change the Future A left it at 10 but turned off all Ethanol settings. And it worked
My understanding there should be just 1 toggle that controls that.
Now i need to adjust to give me more boost
Perfect... Glad it all got figured out and you're back on track. Now you can start a thread and get some support/review as you continue to tune your setup.
(#19)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 09-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Damn I want meth, but I’m waiting for the back end to see how it does without meth.

|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M Performance exhaust|CG 5" catted|BMS intake|JB4 Map 5: 410RWHP & 426 FT-LBS|BMS Meth kit Dual BM7 nozzles: Awaiting dyno results|
(#20)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default 09-22-2018, 04:18 PM

why dont u try 100% meth im running that on my m140 with map 7 and have mid flow boost at 8.9
(#21)
Old

Default 09-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louism140i_
why dont u try 100% meth im running that on my m140 with map 7 and have mid flow boost at 8.9
I live in Palm Springs area. It's well over 100 most days for about 4+ months. Gotta have the water to cool things down a bit.
(#22)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-22-2018, 09:32 PM

To add to this -
You’ve probably heard meth has cooling properties too (it does) but 50/50 is safer when you’re first starting out for many reasons. Mainly - water reduces the flammability. Water also effectively has unlimited octane since it does not ignite so listen to your car - sometimes it wants octane and sometimes it wants fuel. They ain’t the same thing even though often used interchangeably. Start with 50/50 and log and go from there.

(#23)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-22-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Ok guys... FF has learned in and stabilized over the last week. I've modified some settings, but not by much. The pull I did this morning was rock solid and had only a hint of overboost in 5th gear. Throttle closure rained it in without an issue. I'm very happy thus far and think I'll stop here until I get a draggy to see where the car has landed at for times. All I can say is, "She FLYS!!"
Glad to hear this.

Am I reading you right that youíre saying throttle closures in and of themselves are not necessarily an issue and are normal to control overboost? as youíve seen in my logs Itís hard for me to tell when mine are ok vs not, so I rely on how the car feels and what the log shows for timing, AFR, and boost. Ideally if you have EWG control then the wastegate control should be able to dump extra boost.

On that note I got my EWG wire fixed and reconnected today. Iíll post some logs from today a little later in the other thread I have on this issue which still show some closures but I wanted to understand how you evaluated your own throttle closures.

(#24)
Old

Default 09-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear this.

Am I reading you right that youíre saying throttle closures in and of themselves are not necessarily an issue and are normal to control overboost? as youíve seen in my logs Itís hard for me to tell when mine are ok vs not, so I rely on how the car feels and what the log shows for timing, AFR, and boost. Ideally if you have EWG control then the wastegate control should be able to dump extra boost.

On that note I got my EWG wire fixed and reconnected today. Iíll post some logs from today a little later in the other thread I have on this issue which still show some closures but I wanted to understand how you evaluated your own throttle closures.
Throttle closures to control boost are normal. If the boost spike is too great, then tuning may be needed. If you have timing drops during the closures, then you may not be overboosting. It may be knock. Remember that closures can happen for different reasons and you'll have to interpret the logs to see what may be happening.

Throttle closures will also result in boost readings going high as the reading for boost is taken before the throttle body. When the throttle closes abruptly you'll get a spike. If it's under control, the spike won't be too high. Thus, you have to review the entire log to see what's happening. If timing doesn't have a drop, the spike may be due to load/quick shifts. Thus, the throttle closure is normal in order to maintain control. I hope all this makes sense.
(#25)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 02:06 PM

3rd gear pull with meth. Felt pretty strong. I believe it can do much better
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-24 16_24_03.csv (14.4 KB, 18 views)