N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Kia Cerato GT 1.6 (AUS)
Default JB4 WMI Help - 09-08-2021, 11:02 PM

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing the BMS JB4 WMI kit for my Kia Cerato (Forte) GT 1.6T but had a few questions first that relate to JB4 WMI, how it works and what changes would I expect.

I have gone through a significant amount of posts in these forums and still have questions.

1. Ignition:

a. Will the JB4 automatically adjust the IGN timing (advance?) when WMI is used? If not will the ECU change it to compensate?

b. With my JB4 the IGN timing goes from 0 to around 12 from a standing start of starting in any gear. What IGN timing should I see with WMI? I read that it should be much higher or the WMI will just decrease your cars power.

2. Trim:

a. What is the purpose of the Trim when WMI is enabled and disabled?

b. I have read about it but confused, does the JB4 change the trim with the WMI?

3. AFR:

a. Will the JB4 adjust the AFR (increase or decrease) based on the higher Octane from using WMI (I have the fuel wire installed)?

b. What range should the AFR be in when using WMI (currently it gets down to 11.5 at high RPM)?

4. LOG:

a. Has anyone got any good LOG's they can share with WMI disabled and then enabled? This could help answer some of the questions above and allow me to further understand the difference.

5. I know you can set the Boost that the WMI come on but does the car have to be in WOT or if say I do a 3/4 pedal will WMI still turn on if it hits the min boost? Actually same question for all the MAPS or does the JB4 only work and increase power etc during WOT.

6. Basically what can the JB4 adjust when using WMI.

7. What power/torque increase can I expect going from 93 octane on MAP 2 to MAP 7 WMI?

I have the following setup:
Use 93 Octane (98RON), not planning on E30
Planning on WMI 50/50 mix.
JB4 with Fuel Wire
AFE Cold Air Intake
Intercooler resonator delete
HKS Spark Plugs
MSD Ignition Coils

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Last edited by gnarmstr; 09-08-2021 at 11:21 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 09-12-2021, 02:57 PM

Can anyone help answer these questions. This is the best forum to post this isnt it.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2021, 06:42 PM

Too many questions to help directly, but there is a lot of general info on this forum including one on what each logging parameter means.

For WMI we suggest using the default setting in the WMI guide and then posting a log with meth flowing if you want addl tuning advice on it.

In terms of power gains the short answer too many variables to predict. It depends how good your 93 octane fuel is and how far you want to push boost under meth flow. Probably 10-20whp over 93 octane mapping on a 1.6L.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-12-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Too many questions to help directly, but there is a lot of general info on this forum including one on what each logging parameter means.

For WMI we suggest using the default setting in the WMI guide and then posting a log with meth flowing if you want addl tuning advice on it.

In terms of power gains the short answer too many variables to predict. It depends how good your 93 octane fuel is and how far you want to push boost under meth flow. Probably 10-20whp over 93 octane mapping on a 1.6L.
Thanks for your reply however I think I have read like over 300 posts over the last couple of weeks including the Logging parameters pages multiple times yet I haven't found the answers to my questions.

I'm not sure why you have said there are too many questions to directly help. These are the questions I need help with and even a quick answer to each would be appreciated. I set the questions out in a format where I got to the point and wouldn't take much to answer.

Sorry but I was expecting more, especially when it has already cost me $1100 Aus for the JB4 and another $800 if I decide to buy the WMI kit.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2021, 09:21 PM

OK I'll give it the college try here, but I can tell from your post you have a lot more questions that I can realistically answer for you.

1) The ECU will automatically adjust ign advance to take advantage of the fuel quality. With WMI you'll have a higher effective fuel quality when its flowing.
2) I assume you mean fuel trims? Read about them here: How wideband fuel control works - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
3) Yes we adjust AFR on the WMI map, usually can go a little leaner under WMI flow.
4) Boost, meth flow, etc are mapped on a lot of criteria not just gas pedal input. But we don't do a lot until you get the gas pedal over 40% down generally speaking. And then try to increase the tuning linearly up until its 100% pressed for maximum power.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.