N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2016 BMW 435i
Default N55 on JB4 hitting limp mode and Boost Pressure Lower Than Expected code - 09-01-2021, 09:17 AM

I have a 2016 435i with EWG N55 and 8 speed. About 6 weeks ago I installed the BMS charge pipe and VRSF 6.5" competition intercooler. Only other mod is a K&N drop in filter. I installed the JB4 about a month prior to installing the intercooler and ran Map 1 with no issues. I would hit 12psi consistently on Map 1.

Around the time that I installed the intercooler and charge pipe I began to get occasional codes 104301/104302 for absolute pressure sensor, intake manifold plausibility, caster pressure too high or pressure too low while running map 1 or map 5. I thought I had boost leaks because none of the boost values seem to get close to the 12psi that I was seeing on Map1 before the intercooler install. I replaced every o-ring and seal on the charge pipe and intercooler and can't find a leak. I still cannot hit 12psi on Map 1 or even on Map5. If I run factory boost on map 4 it will run all day long with no issues or codes and the boost levels get to the ~8psi factory target without excessive wastegate duty levels.

I have noticed that the ign_x advance numbers will start varying on individual numbers when I run Map1 or Map5, but run the same on all cylinders on Map4. I don't see any indications of timing being pulled on all cylinders. We have good 93 octane in this area and have not had issues on my other turbo cars running the same 93 octane. I installed NGK 97506 plugs at the same time that I installed the JB4, gapped to 0.022".

I have noticed that AFRs can stay in the low 15s on 100% throttle runs and only dip to the low 14s which seem high to me. I know DI runs with higher AFRs under load, but I would expect to see it get in the lower 14s or 13s for high load. On Map4 runs I will see low 13s at high load and high rpm.

I have had 3 instances over the last 6 weeks where I hit limp mode and threw 120308 Boost pressure lower than expected code. Twice this past week. These are shown in the two attached logs.

For the log dated 08/30, I was initially just running map 4 with no issues, but changed back to map 1 and did a few pulls. The first two pulls seemed fine. On the last pull (end of attached log) I got the Drivetrain Malfunction-Drive Moderately message on IDrive, hit what felt like limp mode and code 120308 Boost pressure lower than expected showed up. Cycled power and it cleared and ran fine.

I did better 4th gear pulls this morning (see log dated 09/01) starting in Map 4, with no issues. Changed to Map 1 and did 2 pulls with no codes or limp mode. On these Map 1 pulls I noticed that I am only getting 10.8-10.9psi peak boost (as I have seen since installing the intercooler). wgdc only goes up to about 60. AFRs only drop to the low 14s at the end of the run. Fuel trims suggest that the ECU is trying to add fuel, but does not appear to be adding enough. Fuel pressures look good with fp_h staying around 18 at under load.

Then for the last two pulls I swapped to Map 5 since Map1 was not getting me into limp mode. The first Map5 pull was OK, but it did not get more than 11.2psi boost with the wgdc at 99. AFRs look about the same as the Map1 runs.

The last Map5 run it hits limp mode, gave the Idrive message and threw 120308 Boost pressure lower than expected code. During this pull it doesn't see more than 9.9psi boost and AFRs stay at ~15. Cycled power and everything went back to normal and I am back on Map4 till I get this crap figured out.

I am still not 100% convinced I don't have boost leak so I will be looking into smoking the intake components. I do need a peer check on these log files. I come from the world of turbo Miata's and Megasquirt, but all this fancy direct injections stuff is new to me. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M4_R8_210901_0724 Map5 Limp Mode 2.csv (33.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: csv P10_M4_R10_210830_0749 Map 1 Limp Mode.csv (30.3 KB, 27 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Your FF is completely maxed out as is WGDC. This typically indicates a boost leak.

Clear all codes a post a log on map 4, lets see how that looks and if you get any errors/limp mode.

FYI...smoke tests are worthless, you need to do a pressure test to the desired boost level.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-02-2021, 11:20 AM

See attached file for Map4 pulls. The last pull was a proper 4th gear pull with no kickdown. This was with everything cleared and no codes.

I can run Map 4 all day long and drive as hard as I want with no issues or codes.

Other than the obvious oring seals and charge pipe connections that were replaced because of the charge pipe and intercooler swap, are there other areas or things that should be checked for obvious boost leak culprits?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M4_R8_210901_0724 Map 4.csv (33.1 KB, 21 views)
(#4)
Old

Default 09-03-2021, 10:45 AM

Swapped back to factory intercooler this morning. Ran great on Map1 at first. The closest I have been to the 12psi target since I installed the VRSF intercooler. See attached log for a great 4th gear pull (1st run). AFRs look great, everything looked and felt great.

Right when I though I finally found the boost leak I hit limp mode again while attempting another 4th gear pull. The last run shows it not building boost, not even reaching 9psi.

I am getting the car back on the lift and will be sticking the factory charge pipe back on there to see if it is the BMS charge pipe that sis really leaking. What has me baffled is that I seem to get a few great runs in and then it all of a sudden develops a leak. I am starting to wonder if it is a loose fit on one of the o-ring seals that seal initially, but eventually gets pushed out under pressure. I just hope it all works again after I swap to the factory charge pipe.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-04-2021, 09:54 AM

Do you have the EWG wires installed?

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-04-2021, 10:28 AM

I don't have the EWG wires installed. It was my understanding that it doesn't help if only running MAP1. Will it help to add the EWG wires?
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-07-2021, 09:58 AM

I was going to have you switch to map 5 for logging and the EWG wires will be beneficial for that.