N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2015 435i xdrive gran coupe
Default 06-07-2021, 05:00 PM

Got it.

This platform has been tuned by 1000's of people. Running e30 is very common. So common that there are many ots maps that are written specifically for an e30 mix.

You are doing things right. You are running logs after each adjustment you make. You should be able to see that the hpfp is not able to hit the desired pressure before it ever crashes.

Even if it does crash, it's not the end of the world. You just reset it and reduce your ethanol concentration. Its not something I would want to be doing over and over again, but a single crash isn't going to make a difference in its long term reliability. Its a mechanical pump so it has a mechanical limit to how much it can flow. When it fully "crashes" the car's computer shuts performace down as a protective measure when it sees that the fuel rail pressure is too low. So it implements limp mode so you don't have a catastrophic lean condition.

So the "crash" isn't the fuel pump breaking, its just hitting its flow limit.

You should be able to run map 2 boost levels with e30 and not be maxing out the hpfp. Once you start going to boost levels above map 2 then you want to keep on that hpfp pressure.

You also want to make sure you are keeping your mix consistent when you fill up. You cant just add 3gals every time or you will gradually increase the e85 mix over time. I like using this calculator to keep the mix right.

https://www.getmtuned.com/ethanol-fu...ure-calculator
(#27)
Old

Car: M235ix
Default 06-07-2021, 05:13 PM

Awesome!! Thanks so much for all the thorough explanations it’s really been helpful. Yup I’ve already worked out how much and when I need to fill up my tank via an online calculator that has metric tho lol. Tomorrow my boost controller cable shows up so that will be fun and then this weekend I’ll be running full e30! Once I get the FMIC I can start looking at coil overs and other goodies, can’t wait!

It’s funny a lot of people say the JB4 doesn’t compare to BM3 or MHD but this has been nothing but an amazing experience! Again, thanks for all the help!
(#28)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 03:09 PM

Here is e30 map 2. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv E30 Map 2 Run 1.csv (6.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: csv E30 Map 2 Run 2.csv (9.3 KB, 55 views)
(#29)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 03:48 PM

Looks like your timing woes have been fixed. Hard to believe your fuel was really that bad.

How does the car feel?
(#30)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 03:58 PM

Feels great. Smells awful hahaha. Yea it’s got lots of power now feels A little slower than when it was just JB4 and no BEF maybe that’s just me but holy hell does it feel smooth. Also I haven’t had the chance to do a standing launch but I’m sure that might change my mind.
(#31)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Excellent.

Yeah there is a different "feel" to the delivery when you're running a flash vs the straight jb4. With just the jb4 the power comes on like you've flipped a light switch. It's like on or off. Boom its there.

With the flash its much more progressive, predictable, and comfortable. Even though it doesn't have that same boom heres the power feeling, I assure you its just as much power and just as fast.

Now that your timing is looking good you can probably give the Race flash a go.
(#32)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 05:21 PM

This felt really good. Nice constant power! Gonna install the EWG controller tonight!
Attached Files
File Type: csv e30 map 1 RACE.csv (9.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: csv E30 map 2 RACE.csv (8.3 KB, 51 views)
(#33)
Old

Default 06-08-2021, 09:21 PM

Terry asked me to try map 7 so here it is! Seems like the timing isnít as good I THINK lol
Attached Files
File Type: csv e30 RACE map 7.csv (15.0 KB, 54 views)
(#34)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Looks pretty good.

Timing is having a couple drops that were not there for your map 2 run, but not horrible. Would like to see a couple more runs to see if it was a 1 run fluke.

Your trims are creeping up. You may need to adjust your fol up, it's at 0 currently so you are letting the DME control trims and hpfp with no bias from the jb4. But Terry said to set it at 0 so I would ask him for input there.

You aren't hitting your boost targets as you should. I would guess that once you get the ewg connection in place that will improve. Once you start hitting higher boost you will likely have a larger issue with your trims and timing.

Just to confirm the ewg connection is not in for that run?

Post logs and further adjustments will ensue!
(#35)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 08:20 AM

Okay so I will do the following:

Two more runs on map 2
Two more runs on map 7

No the EWG is not installed as it looks like a lot more effort than one hour but I may be overthinking it. Will try and get it in tonight!
(#36)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 08:50 AM

The ewg connector isn't what I would call hard. Its a splice in connection just like the other jb4 connections. Its just a small space to fit your hand into. You can practice how the connection works with the connector itself since you can connect it to itself.

I used a 90 degree pick tool and a long pair of needle nose pliers. Just be careful not to damage it. Also make sure the car is all the way cold or it will be too hot to do.

This video may help:

EWG connector for JB4 N55 Installation (How to) - YouTube
(#37)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 10:51 AM

I would also put some heat resistant wire loom over the cables while you are there and zip tie the cable away from the turbo toward the passenger side.

I used this:
Amazon.com: Alex Tech 10ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable ‚Äď Protect *** From Chewing Cords - Black: Home Improvement
(#38)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 02:08 PM

Here are couple more map 2 and map 7 logs. The power is incredible!
Attached Files
File Type: csv E30 RACE map 7 run 1.csv (8.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: csv E30 RACE map 7 run 2.csv (8.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: csv E30 RACE map 2 run 1.csv (6.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: csv E30 RACE map 2 run 2.csv (8.8 KB, 50 views)
(#39)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 02:40 PM

Ha thats awesome!

These all look pretty good.

A couple little timing drops but nothing to fret over. I think you found a sweet spot for your octane and boost level.

If it were me I would leave it on map 7 since your getting a bit more power there and there don't seem to be any issues other than your trims creeping up to max. I definitely wouldn't add any more e85. Any word from Terry on adding a bit to your fol?

Assuming this is still without the ewg connector, you will definitely want to keep an eye on those trims and hpfp when you get it on and have additional boost.

Not sure why your FF isn't learning down since your not maxing out your wgdc. I might bring that down to like 90 and see what it does.
(#40)
Old

Default 06-09-2021, 02:58 PM

Forgot to ask him honestly. Sent him those logs and he suggested I raise the duty bias to 60 across the board. I’ve messaged him and asked him about fol. I’ll get back to you
(#41)
Old

Default 06-10-2021, 08:27 PM

Terry hasnít responded yet but I installed the controller and all I can say is wow. Did a few pills on RACE map 7 and it felt really good and super fast! Let me know what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: csv EWG controller RACE map 7.csv (6.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: csv EWG controller RACE map 7 run 2.csv (7.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: csv EWG controller RACE map 7 run 3.csv (8.4 KB, 60 views)
(#42)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-11-2021, 10:44 AM

Log looks clean. WGDC is getting up there so you don't have a lot left in the turbo but map 7 looks good.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#43)
Old

Default 06-11-2021, 05:54 PM

Sick! I’m more than happy with the power and am more than happy to leave it where it is! Thanks for all the tuning help!
(#44)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troycabot
Terry hasn’t responded yet but I installed the controller and all I can say is wow. Did a few pills on RACE map 7 and it felt really good and super fast! Let me know what you think!
Pretty decent.

Your hpfp is at its limit. On cold days it may crash on you, but with warm months likely should be ok. Just make sure to keep your e85 blend stable. If you add any more it will probably crash on you.

In winter you may have to dial back to map 2 or make a custom map 6 thats rides in between map 2 and 7.

You also have a pretty decent rise in your iats. More than just a single gear run you will be overtaking your current fmic. Above 120ish the dme will begin to pull performance to protect itself. Got an upgraded intercooler in the pipeline?
(#45)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 07:44 AM

Yea I figured this is probably maxing everything out lol. I’ll put it on map 2 and run it like that and only use 7 every once and a while. As for the car I don’t drive it in the winter and once my Jeep is up and running I’ll be parking the car for a bit. Yea next year I plan on adding a FMIC and I’ll probably upgrade the HPFP at that time too and then I’ll call it done ������. I tell my wife this and she just rolls her eyes
(#46)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 07:49 AM

Solid plan.

My wife was the same. Then she drove it a few times. Now she's like I'm going shopping can I take your car? Lol.
(#47)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 08:10 AM

Would a meth injection kit be as good or better than HPFP?
(#48)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 08:39 AM

I wouldn't say better. Its accomplishing basically the same thing. Additional fuel and octane.

I have a meth kit with the jb4 and love it. I chose the meth route because the nearest e85 from me is about 20 miles. So convenience was a major factor for me. Its also a little more convenient since you don't have to worry about mixing e85.

Also the meth only sprays when you need it to so you only have to refill the meth only every so often vs always filling up at the e85 station.

Meth also significantly cools the intake air temps. I typically see my iats drop by 20 to 30 degrees with my ps2.

A hpfp upgrade is "simpler". You install it and forget it. Where as meth will need some dialing in. Similar to what you've been doing to get things just right. There is also less potential points of failure with hpfp. A single mechanism vs a couple with meth pump, connections, and nozzles. I've heard positive reviews for the dorch stage 1 for stock turbo applications and their stage 2 for upgraded turbos.

Meth is less expensive than hpfp by several hundred bucks since you already have the jb4. If you didn't have the jb4 cost would still be a bit less, but not by a whole lot.

When I still had stock turbo and meth I was able to run 22psi with solid hpfp pressure, wgdc 90 or below, and clean timing with pump 93 in the tank. With ps2 i can run 21psi with clean logs. Above that I have to add a bit of e85 to keep timing clean.

I am perhaps a bit biased towards meth because I've had a great experience with it and support from bms is always top notch. I also enjoy the diy tinkering with the jb4. But you really can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by 435gc; 06-12-2021 at 08:54 AM..
(#49)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 09:26 AM

Well over the winter I’ll have lots of time to decide on which option but I like the idea of WMI as it can be annoying to have to carry around a Jerry can of e85 hahaha. Not to keen on the idea of doing an 8 hour trip with 15l of e85 in the trunk.

I guess I would need to buy the universal WMI kit off the burger site but would I need to port injection manifold or is that yet another option of water meth?
(#50)
Old

Default 06-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Yeah thats the one.

If stock turbo you would do the single bm10 nozzle. If you ever plan to upgrade the turbo, better to future proof it and get the dual bm7 nozzles. That way you don't have to hassle with swapping the nozzles. I started with the single nozzle thinking I would not be upgrading the turbo, but famous last words, ended up with the ps2 a year later and had to swap the nozzles. Not a big deal but a bit of a pain in the butt.

Highly recommend the 3 gal stealth tank.

You don't need to do port injection unless shooting for really high power levels. Beyond ps2 power.