N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: honda
Default N63 vs N63tu - 04-01-2021, 10:32 PM

Have the numerous issues with BMW’s N63 engine been solved with the n63tu? I’ve seen lots of conflicting information about it and I’m considering a 650i as my next purchase. Would it be better to get a 640i with a jb4 tune?usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited by FragiLimbel; 04-02-2021 at 02:04 AM..
(#2)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 04-02-2021, 12:06 PM

A majority of the issues were fixed with the TU. BMW N63 vs N63TU vs N63TU2 vs N63TU3 - Engine Comparison

I wouldn't even bother with a 640. Even my full bolt on N55 barely topped 400whp. The N63TU makes more than that stock. The 650 is the way to go if you want power and can't afford an M5/M6.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550 xDrive
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL
(#3)
Old

Car: 2014 550i
Default 07-09-2021, 05:22 AM

As far as the n63tu id say no,there are still issues and there will likely always be issues due to the "hot Vee" design. The car also has issues because we are americans and dont know how to drive, at least thats the reason for the battery issues. We apparently keep our big ass lead foot on the pedal which never allows the battery to charge. The battery recgarges using regenerative energy from the brakes when the driver lets off the gas and coasts.

And dont even get me started on the sensitivity of energy needs of this car. When doing ANY software work you need to have a constant 14 or 16 or whatever it is, or you will regret it.. Mine has 34 modules, and 2 DMEs. The have a computer for every task imaginable and just for the hell of it,the modules will get together just to screw with your head...lol
(#4)
Old

Car: X5 M50i
Default 07-09-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior961
As far as the n63tu id say no,there are still issues and there will likely always be issues due to the "hot Vee" design. The car also has issues because we are americans and dont know how to drive, at least thats the reason for the battery issues. We apparently keep our big ass lead foot on the pedal which never allows the battery to charge. The battery recgarges using regenerative energy from the brakes when the driver lets off the gas and coasts.

And dont even get me started on the sensitivity of energy needs of this car. When doing ANY software work you need to have a constant 14 or 16 or whatever it is, or you will regret it.. Mine has 34 modules, and 2 DMEs. The have a computer for every task imaginable and just for the hell of it,the modules will get together just to screw with your head...lol
WTF?
(#5)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 07-09-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior961

Yet every manufacturer has copied the Hot Vee design. Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac. Every one of their twin turbo V8s are Hot Vees. The problem isn’t the design. The problem is air management, or more accurately, HEAT management. Putting 18 heat shields over the turbos keeps the heat on them, which causes problems. If they’d lit the heat out, through vented hoods or whatever, most of the problems would go away.

Btw; all the modules and computers are connected to a FlexRay network. That’s how they communicate and screw with us.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550 xDrive
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL