N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT
Default Updating firmware is pissing me off - 10-09-2019, 05:19 PM

Terry, I have been a fanboy since day one.. I was on the original Stinger beta test team.. I was also one of the first to get the catch cans and front strut brace..

But the updating firmware process is honestly one of the most frustrating and time consuming things I have experienced from an aftermarket perspective.. Every time you release an update I start having anxieties..

Take for instance tonight while trying to update to 11_3... 2 hours in and the highest I gave gotten was 31/324.. Now I have a brick for a JB4..

I have also tried going back to 10 and the highest I have gotten was 42/319...

So keeping fingers crossed, I can get it to upload or I need to remove it in the morning before driving to work..

Super frustrating as it shouldn’t be this hard..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT
Default 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM

3 hours.... 4 turn off car and walk aways, 3 cellphone power cycles, more curse words than I can count, and I finally have success.... WTF......
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Hmm, that's very odd!

Next time make sure wifi is off and BT is the only thing on when updating.
Also, try to bring the phone as close as you can to the JB4.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 10-11-2019, 11:40 AM

I've never had a single issue updating. Never takes more than 2 mins. What process are you going through? What phone are you using? Maybe something in the bluetooth settings on your phone?
(#5)
Old

Car: 2019 STINGER GT2
Default 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Just updated to 11.3 and was all done in less than 10 min....
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Something is going on with JB4 mobile for firmware updates on some phones I think. Has nothing to do with the JB4 firmware you're loading as they are all just bytes... What version of the app?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 135i
Default 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM

We have no issues updating the firmware on any of our vehicles.

Issues usually come around when:
1) The kit is installed too close to nearby metal causing packet loss.

2) Your phone/tablet has a weak BT radio.

3) Some other electrical issue which can be mitigated by *temporarily* moving the Connect Kit's power wire to 12V as mentioned on our support page under the section 'Firmware Update Failed'. After the update goes through, move the power wire back to the appropriate source.

https://jb4connectkit.com/troubleshooting/

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#8)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 10-13-2019, 05:27 PM

I have noticed if you connected to other blueotooth devices like the media inside the car or smart watches etc it has a hard time sometimes updating.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2021 VW Golf 8 R
(#9)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Default 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Something is going on with JB4 mobile for firmware updates on some phones I think. Has nothing to do with the JB4 firmware you're loading as they are all just bytes... What version of the app?
I am having this same issue. I was able to revert back to version 9 without issue. I was going from 9 to 11, I will try 9 to 10 and report back.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM

It's nothing to do with the JB4 firmware. If you had updated to v11 again instead of whatever file you changed too likely would have gone through.

I am wondering if it has to do with the date of the JB4 mobile adapter production though. For those with the issue when did you buy the JB4 mobile adapter?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!