N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: renualt
Default BMW N54 engine - symptoms of failing injectors - 09-23-2021, 11:24 AM

I'm fearing my injectors may be wearing out, as the car has about 126k miles on it. The car runs a little rough (but not too bad yet) on a cold start, and occasionally misses at idle even after warmed up. Rarely it will enter limpmode when driving hard, but hasn't been setting any codes. I've changed the turbos and plugs recently so I can rule out those issues.

2008 BMW 535i E60 btw

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of hoping the head gasket will blow so I have a reason to pull the head and refurbish the whole thing. Clean the intake port carbon buildup and stuff haha.showbox speed test

Last edited by carpetmilk9; 09-28-2021 at 09:23 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 09-27-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmilk9
I'm fearing my injectors may be wearing out, as the car has about 126k miles on it. The car runs a little rough (but not too bad yet) on a cold start, and occasionally misses at idle even after warmed up. Rarely it will enter limpmode when driving hard, but hasn't been setting any codes. I've changed the turbos and plugs recently so I can rule out those issues.

2008 BMW 535i E60 btw

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of hoping the head gasket will blow so I have a reason to pull the head and refurbish the whole thing. Clean the intake port carbon buildup and stuff haha.
When my injector was leaky I was getting a misfire code and could see the cylinder running like crap in INPA.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 09-27-2021, 09:07 PM

If you get a code for a misfire on a specific cylinder, pull the spark plug on that cylinder to see what the carbon build up looks like. Usually the cylinder would look a little more "clean" if the injector was leaking. There won't be as much build up there as on other cylinders.