N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#201)
Old

Car: m240i X-drive
Default 01-14-2019, 07:45 AM

Terry, I am having a hard time figuring out why I can't hit near boost targets. Everything but boost on the logs looks good.

Running M240i Xdrive with JB4, WMI 50/50 mix, EWG wire, no FF wire, 93 Octane Shell fuel. Only WMI settings I changed was 3000RPM-7000RPM instead of the standard selection and I have FutureUseA set to 30 with EWG harness installed.

5th Gear log attached.

Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-13 12_43_30 Map-7.csv (12.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by hornady; 01-14-2019 at 08:58 AM..
(#202)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady
Terry, I am having a hard time figuring out why I can't hit near boost targets. Everything but boost on the logs looks good.

Running M240i Xdrive with JB4, WMI 50/50 mix, EWG wire, no FF wire, 93 Octane Shell fuel. Only WMI settings I changed was 3000RPM-7000RPM instead of the standard selection and I have FutureUseA set to 30 with EWG harness installed.

5th Gear log attached.

Any thoughts?
Set FF to 30 and get another log. You might want to lower FUA to 10 as well for now.

What meth nozzle are you using btw, your fuel trims are maxed.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#203)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:

5th Gear log attached.

Any thoughts?
Your FOL is on 0 try it on 60 and lower FUA to 10.

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#204)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Set FF to 30 and get another log. You might want to lower FUA to 10 as well for now.

What meth nozzle are you using btw, your fuel trims are maxed.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using dual CM7 nozzles.

Will try another log tonight with FF @ 30. Then a second with FF@30 and FUA@10.
(#205)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
Your FOL is on 0 try it on 60 and lower FUA to 10.
Thanks, so I should try modifying all three of these settings together then, correct?

FF@30 -- FUA@10 -- FOL@60
(#206)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks, so I should try modifying all three of these settings together then, correct?

FF@30 -- FUA@10 -- FOL@60
Yeah i don't know why your FOL is on 0 unless not having the fuel wires keeps it at 0.

(#207)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah i don't know why your FOL is on 0 unless not having the fuel wires keeps it at 0.
I was always told (initially at least) and still read Flex Fuel wires arenít required and donít really help with the B58. Is this still a true statement, or is it worth it for me to get them hooked up?
(#208)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I was always told (initially at least) and still read Flex Fuel wires arenít required and donít really help with the B58. Is this still a true statement, or is it worth it for me to get them hooked up?
Its easy for them to write that and say 'it doesn't help' so people don't get excited when it really doesn't work and say its bull**** advertising. I would get it regardless.

(#209)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

FOL at 0 or 60 makes no difference without the fuel wires.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#210)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
FOL at 0 or 60 makes no difference without the fuel wires.
What i assumed a few posts above. His fuel trims are still maxed with meth injecting so the fuel wires should help his situation.

(#211)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
What i assumed a few posts above. His fuel trims are still maxed with meth injecting so the fuel wires should help his situation.
Something is definitely up IMO. Two CM7 should be plenty of additional fuel.

Burger Motorsports

(#212)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Something is definitely up IMO
Yeah we need to send MHD a 24 pack of red bull to finish up that back end flash

(#213)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Something is definitely up IMO. Two CM7 should be plenty of additional fuel.
I only have three plugs in my engine bay from the JB4, so I'm assuming FF wires did not come with it when I bought it new from BMS and need to be ordered separately.

If it is not a FF wire issue, could it be clogged nozzles or clogged filter in the solenoid?

A log from the same car, with the same setup about 1.5 years ago is attached to this post too. (June 2017). Trims look better to me in this log. Was a different firmware too though.

This is the post from Terry I was referring to about the FF wires on B58.

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-06-23 21_46_41.csv (6.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by hornady; 01-14-2019 at 11:56 AM..
(#214)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Tried to run another log on my way home from work (best I could).

Boost and power feels much better changing the FuD and FF settings like recommended above. Boost and power look and feel good, but Trim sits right at 49 the whole time and AFR right AT 15.

I noticed my "N20 TMAP (0/1)" setting is set to 1, don't know if that matters.

My question at this point is...if I'm happy with the power and feel of the car but trim is absolutely maxxed out according to the logs, is this something I should be worried about and try to fix? Will it hurt the engine or car running lean like this?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-14 16_03_48 Map-7.csv (11.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by hornady; 01-14-2019 at 03:24 PM..
(#215)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Your timing looks fine, under load. It is zero when throttle closes. Seems right to me. What I do not see is a drop in IAT when you accelerate. I wonder if you are spraying anything?

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#216)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
Your timing looks fine, under load. It is zero when throttle closes. Seems right to me. What I do not see is a drop in IAT when you accelerate. I wonder if you are spraying anything?
Wouldnít it not show on the log as IAT is measured at the intake and the meth is spraying right at the throttle body?
(#217)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Tried to run another log on my way home from work (best I could).

Boost and power feels much better changing the FuD and FF settings like recommended above. Boost and power look and feel good, but Trim sits right at 49 the whole time and AFR right AT 15.

I noticed my "N20 TMAP (0/1)" setting is set to 1, don't know if that matters.

My question at this point is...if I'm happy with the power and feel of the car but trim is absolutely maxxed out according to the logs, is this something I should be worried about and try to fix? Will it hurt the engine or car running lean like this?
This is about how they run. No changes needed.

Burger Motorsports

(#218)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
This is about how they run. No changes needed.
Thank you Terry!!
(#219)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Wouldnít it not show on the log as IAT is measured at the intake and the meth is spraying right at the throttle body?
You are right about that. Wish it werenít though.

Alex

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#220)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340i Xdrive
Default 01-15-2019, 03:45 AM

Setting meth safety to 3 will disable it completely?
(#221)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsorussian
Setting meth safety to 3 will disable it completely?
Meth trigger to 3 with disable.

Burger Motorsports

(#222)
Old

Default 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Called for a dyno today, but they were fully booked. Was hoping we can see 450/450 with 100% meth + 4 gallons of E85.

(#223)
Old

Car: M140
Default 03-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hey guys,

Had a chance to strap down our 2016 340i today for an hour of dyno tuning. Having done lots of runway testing last weekend at Shift Sector, including taking down a stock tune M4, I had a feeling the car was going to perform pretty well on the dyno. And was not disappointed.

The current setup is 100% stock except for a B58 JB4 BETA, BMS intake, and a BMS B58 water/meth kit. Exhaust is fully stock. Fuel was ~93 octane and meth mixture ~80%.

The BMS B58 water/meth kit has some additional parts not included in our normal kits including a PNP nozzle adapter, an EWG connector for the JB4, and some additional fittings.

With the EWG connector in place we're able to control as much boost as the turbo wants to make. But we've found power peaks out ~21psi, despite the turbo willingly making much more boost. Runs from 22-24psi at the same timing values all resulted in the same or less power. So we're probably approaching the stock turbo limits now. Maybe another 15-20whp ultimately in there with exhaust and other work.

Most impressive is how well it holds power to redline especially relative to previous turbo BMW motors like the N54 & notoriously weak top end N55. I'm pretty excited about this new motor.
Do you have a log in csv