N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default Review of the MFactory Sport Axles - 06-01-2016, 11:54 AM

For the past couple of months, I have been running the MFactory Sport Axles and wanted to share my experiences with them.

From the moment I opened the boxes, I knew these were going to be much more robust that the stockers. I have added a couple pics for comparison to the stock ones on my 135i. (My greasy hands dont take great pictures )

The shafts themselves are a bit thinner compared to stock but they felt to be around the same weight (with my super scientific test of holding one in each hand). Believe me when I tell you though these things are definitely more robust in every way. Out of curiosity, I opened up the boot to check out the joints which I unfortunately don't have a picture of. The ball bearings and machining inside were impeccable right in line with all of MFactory's products.

Install was a breeze with having both stock axles out in about 30 mins and the new ones in within another 45 mins torqued and ready to go. (FYI did this on the ground with a single jack and 1 jack stand to modulate the rear control arm)

Just as a word of advice, these things are machined perfectly to the point where you cant just slide/bang them through the hub. Luckily, I have a friend that works at a BMW dealer and was able to bring their axle tool which catches on the threads on the outside of the hub and pulls the axle through. I also recommend buying new lock nuts as well as they are crimped/dented in on the end to prevent them from backing off from the factory.

Similar to this. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...qi0aAn8R8P8HAQ

From the first drive until now, I could not tell a single difference in driveability. If someone had swapped them overnight without me knowing, I would be clueless. Not a single noice, vibration, nothing.

In terms of strength, I have launched my car from a dig numerous times and i have run upwards of 30psi on my single turbo banging through the gears with absolutely no issues. I have not dynoed my car yet but in terms of wheel torque, I have seen similar setups making anywhere from 600-650wtq so I would estimate I am currently in that area.

I have these axles paired with my MFactory LSD which I also love almost as much as my single turbo kit.

For the money, you honestly cannot go wrong with these axles. No worry of sending cores in to have rebuilt with stock CV joints, amazing quality, and the lifetime warranty, don't even think twice about buying these!

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i

Last edited by BostonBeemah; 06-01-2016 at 01:32 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM

How do you figure they are more robust in every way? What qualifications and testing do you have to make that statement?

Often times aftermarket companies (with the exceptions of established ones like DSS) have a tough time making a stronger axle/shafts because they simply can not source as good of materials as OEM

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#3)
Old

Car: BMW E92 M3
Default 06-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the review, much appreciated

For those wondering why our centre shafts are thinner than stock, it is for one reason: weight savings, which helps tremendously with rotational mass. Even though our shafts are slightly thinner than stock, they are made from Forged SAE9310, so the tensile strength, torsional resistance and elasticity far exceeds the oem shafts.

Not that that matters though, as the centre portion of the shaft is not the weak point on axles; the weak points are the outer ends of the centre shaft (notice how the oem shaft tapers inwards at the ends. In comparison, ours taper outwards at the ends), and of course the splines on the CV joints, with our CV joints also being made from Forged SAE9310, with rolled splines.

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
YCW Suspension (Mid-Range Coilovers) - www.ycwsuspension.com
SWIFT Springs Europe (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringseurope.com
SWIFT Springs Asia (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringsasia.com
(#4)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
How do you figure they are more robust in every way? What qualifications and testing do you have to make that statement?

Often times aftermarket companies (with the exceptions of established ones like DSS) have a tough time making a stronger axle/shafts because they simply can not source as good of materials as OEM
OEM use a medium carbon steel for their shafts.

Our shafts are Forged from SAE9310 steel. Sourcing better materials than oem is not hard at all.

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
(#5)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan

Seeing as though you have an XI, are on stock turbos, and have probably never dragged raced your car, I can see why you are skeptical by me calling them more robust.

I have dealt with BMWs for a long time and have seen/broken my own axles before leading me to look for an upgraded set. If you were to handle them yourself, you would see that the CV joint has no slop in it whatsoever unlike the OEM unit. Although i was considering going with DSS as you mentioned, they required me to send in my specific axles as they had never done 135 axles before. Obviously time is the ultimate test on these but in terms of strength, I can guarantee you I have abused them more than enough to know they are stout!

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#6)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Reviewing an axle is kind of pointless. It is like review a bolt. If it holds, it holds...

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#7)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
Reviewing an axle is kind of pointless. It is like review a bolt. If it holds, it holds...
And if we didn't have independent reviews, how would we let our potential customers know about our product? Yes, of course, we will have them advertised on our own threads, but guess what the 1st question that always pops up is? Yup, you guessed it: "are there any reviews"

(#8)
Old

Car: 335
Default 06-01-2016, 12:58 PM

What are the reasons to buy these over the DSS axles? Just curious how yours compare because they are the same price once you are done with the discounted ones.

-$999
-inner CV and outer CV internal upgrade, using our 36 spline high grade aircraft quality
-custom chromoly CV cage and race set
-Chromoly 108mm inner CV (full aerospace grade internals)
-Upgraded stock outer CV with aerospace grade internals
(#9)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 01:13 PM

The main difference is that ours is a complete kit that is direct swap of your oem axles, with all of our parts upgraded, including the whole CV joint

With theirs, you have to send in your oem axles, then wait 2 weeks while they "upgrade" your oem axles, and you still end up only having oem CV joints (albeit with upgraded internals)

The reason why they do this is because of the costs involved to develop a whole new CV Joint (inner & outer) for the BMW, which is completely different from most other setups which are simple (i.e generic, one-size-fits-many) in comparison.

(#10)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory
The main difference is that ours is a complete kit that is direct swap of your oem axles, with all of our parts upgraded, including the whole CV joint

With theirs, you have to send in your oem axles, then wait 2 weeks while they "upgrade" your oem axles, and you still end up only having oem CV joints (albeit with upgraded internals)

The reason why they do this is because of the costs involved to develop a whole new CV Joint (inner & outer) for the BMW, which is completely different from most other setups which are simple (i.e generic, one-size-fits-many) in comparison.
Well, your posts are a lot more helpful than OP's "review" Specs talk for these kind of things. We are not buying a mattress here, no need for "review" lol

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#11)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Well, your posts are a lot more helpful than OP's "review" Specs talk for these kind of things. We are not buying a mattress here, no need for "review" lol
I apologize I don't know specifics as I did not engineer nor manufactor the product which is why MFactory is chiming in for that info. I merely felt I would share my opinion and results as MOST people would like info from fellow members on the forum and not just what the company states.

RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#12)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
MOST people would like info from fellow members on the forum and not just what the company states.
This.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Just ordered a set for our single turbo 135i for some durability testing.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM

and Mfactory is backordered 2-3 months.........

335- stock
(#15)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Just ordered a set for our single turbo 135i for some durability testing.
When that 6mt is done, that will be the real test

RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#16)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

I appreciate the review Boston! I actually must of missed this option and look forward to seeing how you and Terry put them through the ringer. I have a feeling I will be ordering a set of these sooner vs later.

(#17)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser
I appreciate the review Boston! I actually must of missed this option and look forward to seeing how you and Terry put them through the ringer. I have a feeling I will be ordering a set of these sooner vs later.
No problem brother! Im sure if I didnt put them through their full paces, Terry will haha. Ive been looking to get an upgraded set of axles forever but didn't want to send mine in. Glad I waited!

RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#18)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
What an a$$. Thanks for the post OP.

2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE, VRSF 7in; Cobb AP; K&N; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote ***; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; ECS Strut Tower Brace; Ziza interior LEDs; FuelIt! Stage 2; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BuraQ; Mishimoto OCC;

previous BMWs: 1991 E36 325i; 1997 E36 328i; 2006 E90 330i
(#19)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM

cloud9blue you are a dick. For the rest of us, well be looking forward to seeing how these axles hold up!
(#20)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Coupe
Default 06-02-2016, 05:31 AM

Do these come with stronger bolts or did you use oem?

Also, to mfactory.... I would like to add my input that we need a carbon fiber driveshaft for this platform. Would you please start looking into this...
(#21)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM

Whats the weight reduction on these compared to stock? Do you also make something for f series 35i cars?

F21 M140i - 100-200: 6.95
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 4.47 60-130: 5.16
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.45, 60-130: 5.1
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#22)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 06-02-2016, 06:13 AM

Mfactory do you make axels for the 08 e90 335i? If so I need to get in touch with you.
(#23)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 06-02-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdady
Do these come with stronger bolts or did you use oem?

Also, to mfactory.... I would like to add my input that we need a carbon fiber driveshaft for this platform. Would you please start looking into this...
The problem is that the driveshaft itself isn't what usually breaks for us, it's the spline connection to the diff that shears / breaks.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#24)
Old

Default 06-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdady
Glad you asked. We are actually testing our new Carbon Propshaft as we speak. More details shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkiedm4
Whats the weight reduction on these compared to stock? Do you also make something for f series 35i cars?
Getting the weights just now. Will update shortly. With regards to the F20/30, I will need to do some research on the axle fitments for those. The diffs themselves are the same, so just a matter of axle length

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90gone
Mfactory do you make axels for the 08 e90 335i? If so I need to get in touch with you.
These will fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
The problem is that the driveshaft itself isn't what usually breaks for us, it's the spline connection to the diff that shears / breaks.
Thanks for your feedback. So upgraded axle stubs you say? hmm...should be simple enough to make

(#25)
Old

Default 06-02-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory
Glad you asked. We are actually testing our new Carbon Propshaft as we speak. More details shortly
You dont say

RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i