N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default Driverside Lowbeam, DRL, Turn signal not working - 01-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Hey guys. Working a 2008 N54 with a buddy. Guy he got it from drove it without the inner fender liner attached and it completely ripped out his headlight and fog light wiring harness. He ended up sending his lights into bay optiks, here in CA, and they did a hell of a job. Both lights were tested. Modules are good. As before, only his passenger side light works. Driver side (which had the harness ripped out) doesnít work still. Weíve managed to wire a bunch of it but we are still stuck. Neither the low beam, DRL, or turn signal works. Thereís 2 wires we canít figure out what to do with. A grey and purple and a brown and yellow. For some reason itís saying the file off my phone is too big. Both #84 and #86 fuses are good, which the manual designates as the headlight fuses. Can anyone shed some light on this, or link me to a wiring diagram? Iím forum illiterate apparently, otherwise Iíd upload the photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to get this thing going. Donít need any reason to be pulled over here in California with a somewhat modified n54. Thanks!

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#2)
Old

Default 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Bunp

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 335is Coupe LMB DCT
Default 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Need more info.
1. Xenon or Halogen?
2. Adaptive?
3. Any mods (Angel Eye Bulb Swap)?

If you send me your VIN I can pull wiring diagrams and test procedures specific to your vehicle.
(#4)
Old

Default 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM

Yes. Iíve got all 3. I have the angel/demon eye mod done, adaptive headlights and they are LCI.

VIN:WBAVB73588KY62718
Thanks so much.

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#5)
Old

Car: 2011 335is Coupe LMB DCT
Icon1 01-25-2019, 12:33 AM

Ok, so a quick VIN check shows these options:

S520A Fog lights
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights

Here is a link to the Headlight Circuit Diagrams and Related Documentation: Click To Download 2008 E90 Headlight Documents.zip
  • The YEL/BRN wire is the power wire connecting the FRM (Footwell Module) Pin 37 to the Fog light Pin 2. (Reference Page 1 of the Diagram)
  • The GRY/VIO wire is the power wire connecting the FRM Pin 41 to the Park light. (Reference Page 1 of the Diagram)

E90 headlight wiring is notorious for insulation breakdown, resulting in bare wires all throughout the internal light assembly. This is due to poor insulation (RoHS / Environmentally Friendly = does not last long). The DRL lights cause heat buildup and this only gets worse when more bulbs illuminate. Switching to a LED Angel Eye bulb will help run cooler compared to the Halogen bulb. Iím will to bet that the insulation adjacent to the Fog light connectors is hard, cracked, or even missing.

Bare wire results in short circuit points. BMW records the number of short circuits in the FRM. Depending on the light and number of shorts, the FRM can kill power to a specific circuit and is unrecoverable. The only fix for a locked circuit in the FRM is to replace the FRM and recode it for your car.

Iíve been fortunate enough to catch shorts before they trip the ďpermanent FRM kill switchĒ and never had to replace a module.

If you have a Coding Laptop with INPA, NCS Expert, and Tool32, it is possible to Reset the short circuit counters in the FRM (using Tool32). Next you will want to clear any fault codes using INPA. Then hopefully the FRM will attempt to apply power to the previously shorted circuits during the next Ignition/Boot/Startup Sequence.

Take your time. The most important thing is to make sure you do not have any shorts in any of the internal headlight wiring. Iíve had success with repairs to internal wiring without having to remove the headlight from the car. There is an access door on a lot of E90 wheel-wells that allows access to the rear cover panel of the headlight. Turn your front wheels, or even better, jack up / remove them altogether. Then remove the wheelwell access door, rear headlight cover, and inspect the wiring very closely. Insulation will typically breakdown at the connectors, closest to the bulb, as that is the hottest part. Check the Adaptive motor and leveling connectors. Any little short can render the HID bulb/circuit useless causing Low Beam / High Beam / Adaptive Motor / and other failures.

If you see any questionable insulation, use a long handle paint brush (small diameter - water color type brush) and apply liquid electrical tape to the bare wires, though the wheel well access area. Make sure you get at least 2 or 3 really good coats of liquid tape.

I just did a job last weekend where I had a low beam warning message on an E90 Right side light. I found bare wires, coated them, cleared short circuit codes in FRM, cleared fault codes in INPA, and then the unit worked perfectly again. No new parts (bulbs, ballast, motor, etc.) needed! Just some insulation repair, code clearing, and voila! All lights worked again!

Here is a really good video by Vehicular DIY that shows details of the internal wiring repair. Click for Video

Good luck!

- Newport
(#6)
Old

Default 01-25-2019, 12:36 AM

You are the man. I canít tell you how much I appreciated that. Iíll get back to you tomorrow hopefully sheís fixed

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#7)
Old

Default 01-25-2019, 12:56 AM

Just one more question also. Would a bad adaptive headlight motor actually prevent my lowbeam, high beam, DRL and turn signals from not working?

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#8)
Old

Default 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM

The grey and violet is on the new pig tail that I bought but the car doesn’t even have a grey and violet and has no power going through it, then the grey and yellow striped one also doesn’t have power either. Yet the passenger light works fine. I’m so lost on this thing. I would rather bring it to someone at this point. It’s driving me nuts. I’m in California though.

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now
(#9)
Old

Default 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM

None of the wires are even getting power.

2008 E90
JB4/MHD
Tuned by EMP
Bone Stock for now