N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 335i e90 6MT
Default JB4 Vs. Custom tunes - 01-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Hey guys,

My question is how many people are only using a JB4 only on ST without getting any kind of Custom tune instead?

Whats your mileage? How long have you ran the JB4 on upgrade hybrids or ST.

My best friend whose built and tuned many high Horse power cars. Keeps hounding me to not mess around and find someone log and fine tune my car. Ive invested countless hours and Thousands ( understatement) of dollars. Ill never sell so i want it to LAST!

Just looking for advice or feedback. only 80k on the motor. (installed doc 6266 at 60K)

This is my daily. New job will be making me travel daily 50 miles each way.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 01-17-2019, 08:42 AM

I bought my car with 50,000 miles and immediately put a JB4 on it. At 100,000 miles, my turbos started leaking oil, so I went with the ACF single turbo kit and paired it with a port injection manifold. All controlled using the JB4 and PI harness with the BMS PI tune. I'm now at 130,000 miles and have had zero issues. I datalog every few weeks to make sure things are looking good, and my logs always come back clean.

In most cases, your friend would be correct. An off-the-shelf tune would not be ideal for a highly modified, high horsepower car where things can go wrong quickly, but that's not the case in this instance. I'd trust the safe, tried-and-true BMS tunes over most anything -- and still do. The only exception being if you had a very knowledgeable tuner on this platform in particular, which I don't think there are many. If some "tuner" at a shop claims he can make you a custom tune better than the BMS OTS tunes, he's far and few between. Especially when implementing additional fueling with PI.

Do yourself a favor and get used to datalogging, then you don't have to depend on a tuner to determine if things look healthy. You can diagnose based on real numbers. Plus, the customer service and online help the BMS give you free of charge is unparalleled.

Daily driver here as well!

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Our single turbo off the shelf maps are pretty good. The main adjustment needed is usually on the boost side and that is all easily done on the JB4. But you won't know until you log your specific car and look at the details.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 01-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Our single turbo off the shelf maps are pretty good. The main adjustment needed is usually on the boost side and that is all easily done on the JB4. But you won't know until you log your specific car and look at the details.
Very good point! It's not like your stuck with the off the shelf map how it comes, you can fine tune it pretty easily based on log feedback.

I have my boost completely dialed in now with the help of Payam. Absolutely rips at 23psi on E60.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestonlocal
Hey guys,

My question is how many people are only using a JB4 only on ST without getting any kind of Custom tune instead?

Whats your mileage? How long have you ran the JB4 on upgrade hybrids or ST.

My best friend whose built and tuned many high Horse power cars. Keeps hounding me to not mess around and find someone log and fine tune my car. Ive invested countless hours and Thousands ( understatement) of dollars. Ill never sell so i want it to LAST!

Just looking for advice or feedback. only 80k on the motor. (installed doc 6266 at 60K)

This is my daily. New job will be making me travel daily 50 miles each way.
I messed around with probably every possible turbo combo (i think I had 4-5 sets of hybrids) and a single kit...

Iíve had flash only tunes, custom flashes, custom JB4 + flashes lol.

Point blank my car NEVER ran faster at the dragstrip than it did with the JB4 + OTS BEF. Period.

Day to day driving- no issues.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#6)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM

I’m currently running the JB4 with an MHD back end flash on my daily driven N54 ST 135i and it feels great.
Of the 15k miles that the car has been ST, half of them were on a custom tune, while the other half were using an OTS map.
The previous owner received a custom tune that was included in the price of the ST kit, but it never felt right once the tuning revisions were done (it still put down 640whp though).
It seriously was a night and day difference from the very first pull when we switched over to the BMS OTS map with back end flash. I haven’t had the chance to put it on the rollers, but everything just feels right now. Daily drivability feels silky smooth as if it were stock.

I’m currently on the v13_4 firmware and JB4_BB2_I8A0S_ST_E85_PI_TS_THR.bin back end flash, but need to stop being lazy and update to the latest ones.

The engine mods on the car are VM 6466 ST kit w/BMS filter, JB4 controlled PI w/hobbs switch, fuel-it stage 4 w/return line, 100% E85, Phoenix Race FMIC w/3” J-pipe, RMI quad exhaust, PR coils, ER chargepipe w/synapse BOV, JB4 w. MHD BEF

Evil1 '08 135i 6AT with a few go fast bits...