N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Spark Plug change - sluggish and loud when driving - 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Rehash of old threads I am sure, but didnt want to bump an old one..

So I was having misfires on 3 and 6, figured good time to change the spark plugs. Bought NGK 95770 and gapped to .022.

After I was done with the install I started it, it seemed to idle abit high, around 1k rpm, but settled down to 600 after about 1 minute. Figured it might be computer resetting or whatnot. Got in the car to drive it and it was really sluggish and loud when when driving in the neighborhood. Almost feel no torque when putting down the gas, and it seems excessively loud even at 2500 rmps..

I took it back to the house and not sure how to move forward, anyone have good suggestions?

Last edited by Skyline404; 01-11-2019 at 01:50 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline404
Rehash of old threads I am sure, but didnt want to bump an old one..

So I was having misfires on 3 and 6, figured good time to change the spark plugs. Bought NGK 95770 and gapped to .022.
Cheers
After I was done with the install I started it, it seemed to idle abit high, around 1k rpm, but settled down to 600 after about 1 minute. Figured it might be computer resetting or whatnot. Got in the car to drive it and it was really sluggish and loud when when driving in the neighborhood. Almost feel no torque when putting down the gas, and it seems excessively loud even at 2500 rmps..

I took it back to the house and not sure how to move forward, anyone have good suggestions?
Odd

Re-check everything- ensure plugs are all torqued to spec & coils are all pushed 100% down / seated & the connectors are all secure and fully pushed in.

Any codes?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Odd

Re-check everything- ensure plugs are all torqued to spec & coils are all pushed 100% down / seated & the connectors are all secure and fully pushed in.

Any codes?
I will check again, but I have checked afew times. I torqued them to 17 ft/pounds. I called my local tuner shop and they said trying to gap them at .026, did that and saw no difference. I put the boschs back in and its still sluggish and loud when putting the food down on the gas. No check engine light, or vibrations or anything of that nature. Just no acceleration, no torque, and the DCI is really loud.. Could this be a lose vacum hose?
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Sounds like boost leak or vacuum hose.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Yup. Something must have gotten disrupted, or a 'coincidence' occurred.

A few of us have found that with the NGK, upon second torque-check, they are not tight.
Subsequent removal and installs they torque and retain correctly. (compression sleeve or such)

However, given you changed them back and have the same - it's not the plugs.

Any chance you have a JB4 installed and can post a log?

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
JB4 Map 1, PUMP BEF, 94 Octane (15 PSI)
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
Ultimate Racing CAI (selling)
VRSF CP
HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Parts I have/ordered and am now working to install:
BMS WMI
BMS FMIC
BMS OCC
BMS DCI
RB PCV Valve

Maintenance:
2018 - Plugs, Ign Coils, Walnut Blasting
2019 - Valve Cover Gasket & OFHG (pending)
(#6)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM

I do have a JB4, but have never done a log before, would it better to do one on my PC or the Android application?

Just switched back the NGK, it does run, no crazy idles or stutters or anything... Have driven maybe 10 miles so far, but no CEL or anything... yet. No pending codes in INPA either, or the JB4 PC application.

But the DCI is crazy loud when I put on the gas, and it does not seem to have the pull that it used to and def feels alot slower on the throttle/acceleration..

I will try to get some logs in alittle while and post them up.

Cheers
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I do have a JB4, but have never done a log before, would it better to do one on my PC or the Android application?

Just switched back the NGK, it does run, no crazy idles or stutters or anything... But the DCI is crazy loud when I put on the gas, and it does not seem to have the pull that it used to.

I will try to get some logs in alittle while and post them up.

Cheers
Sounds like something physical is either loose or disconnected- so a physical check first. Then if you cannot find anything- log

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#8)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 01:50 PM

I have checked everything over and over, by that I mean the gaps, although my gapping tool looked suspect so i just went over to auto zone and bought a new one... Will pull them all out and check triple the check the gaps with the new one after I get some logs... Turner shop I go to said to try .026 gaps, so thats what they all should be set at.

The coils seem to be in good, the wires are all connected, and I have torqued them to 17 ft/lbs. Although I am thinking it could be my torque wrench is wrong, I am getting maybe a quarter turn on it before it clicks, and when I am taking them out, they come out quite easily...
(#9)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Ok this might just be tripping out, and not used to how loud the DCI is, as I am normally used to listening to music, just not sure.

It seemed to run alright but still to me, sluggish and loud but who knows, I did see both blinkers come on once around 5.5k RPM, but did not follow with a cel, and nothing in JB4 application.

I got 2 runs in, if you guys need more let me know...

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190111_1643.csv (126.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: csv 190111_1651.csv (120.3 KB, 19 views)
(#10)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Ok this might just be tripping out, and not used to how loud the DCI is, as I am normally used to listening to music, just not sure.

It seemed to run alright but still to me, sluggish and loud but who knows, I did see both blinkers come on once around 5.5k RPM, but did not follow with a cel, and nothing in JB4 application.

I got 2 runs in, if you guys need more let me know...

Cheers!

Most boring logs I've reviewed.
You never step on it.

FYI:
-Two blinks means your engine is up to 70c (common temp to start pushing it)
-Also, until this time, you are left with STOCK boost of 8 PSI (so if you are testing before she blinks... you'll be saddened)

Try a run from 2000 to 7000 RPM, Traction Off, WOT. (after Temperature is up to normal operating temps)

I do see your boost is over target by 4+ much of the time, but you are also feathering, so hard to tell without another log under load.

This may all come down to doing your testing pre-full-engine-temp...

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
JB4 Map 1, PUMP BEF, 94 Octane (15 PSI)
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
Ultimate Racing CAI (selling)
VRSF CP
HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Parts I have/ordered and am now working to install:
BMS WMI
BMS FMIC
BMS OCC
BMS DCI
RB PCV Valve

Maintenance:
2018 - Plugs, Ign Coils, Walnut Blasting
2019 - Valve Cover Gasket & OFHG (pending)