N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#401)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 12-27-2016, 01:26 AM

Did anyone else lose cruise control with the BEF?
(#402)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weehe
Did anyone else lose cruise control with the BEF?
Yes, mine is gone as well

2011 E90 335i 388 whp/475wtq on E50
(#403)
Old

Car: 11 335i 6MT RWD
Default 12-27-2016, 08:32 AM

Hmm, I used mine this morning with no issue. I believe I'm on the 11/15 E85 map though.

2011 E90 335i RWD 6 Speed
FBO JB4 MHD
(#404)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 n55 xDrive 6MT
Default 12-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Now that I've been using MHD + JB4 for a bit, I thought I would report in on what I've learned. FYI, I came from a flash-only Cobb tune. So here goes:

*MHD flashing is easy, quick, and consistent. Haven't seen it do anything erratic or frightening
*Adjustable burble is cool. Love the sound when I lift throttle
*I can confirm that the speed limiter is much higher than before. My xDrive may or may not have seen the high side of 140 for the first time recently
*JB4 makes it easy to set a map 6 boost curve that matches my VTT stage 1
*One thing I DO NOT like is the JB4's boost response in BEF mode. Slooooow. Looking to improve on this. ISO firmware is supposed to have adjustable throttle aggression but it doesn't seem to work
*Reverting to custom map with JB4 in non-BEF mode (4/3) immediately improved low end drivability
*This setup lets me run 20psi from 3000-4500rpm tapering to 14 @ 7000 on the E85 map (~45-50) with little to no timing correction...and that's about as good as it gets with a stage 1 (safely). Trims show that the car is trimming down ~20% up top so I could run more E but don't need to

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
VTT Stage 1 | DV+ | Pure inlet | MHD/JB4
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake | Shifteck 4-inch "expansion chamber" | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | ECS 2-piece rotors
255/40-18 square | 8.5x18 ET35
Fortune Auto MSC-1 coilovers 8k/10k
(#405)
Old

Car: M4
Default Max cooling fans - 12-27-2016, 12:33 PM

Hi Terry
I have a JB4 installed to my euro M4 ,*** delete and down ***** but i have noticed that the cooling fans are working permanently.
Please advise me further.
Best Regards
Nikolas
(#406)
Old

Car: 11 135i
Default 12-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos
Hi Terry
I have a JB4 installed to my euro M4 ,*** delete and down ***** but i have noticed that the cooling fans are working permanently.
Please advise me further.
Best Regards
Nikolas
You're in the wrong sub but check you aren't in max cool mode 6/1

2011 135i Dct coupe Alpine white n blacked out.
VTT DBB,Pure Inlet, JB4,GFB DV+,MHD,Fuel-it Platinum PI with Cm 5 - 50:50 Meth, E85, N20 tmap, Fuel It S2 lpfp, KB Boost A Spark, BMS IC /CP / IT / OCC, SG Boost Pipe, Quaife LSD, Federal RS-RR,M4 Flywheel, SSP R spec clutches, Kw V3 & Pro rolled guards, AR CL **, Bmw PE. Custom mi**ipe kitties. 1000wrms custom audio.
(#407)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryj00
*One thing I DO NOT like is the JB4's boost response in BEF mode. Slooooow. Looking to improve on this. ISO firmware is supposed to have adjustable throttle aggression but it doesn't seem to work
Menu11 adjusts the boost pedal to boost target profile. We can make the higher end more sensitive if there is demand for that, just email me a reminder, and I can shoot something over.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#408)
Old

Car: 335i x-drive n55 2011
Default 12-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Menu11 adjusts the boost pedal to boost target profile. We can make the higher end more sensitive if there is demand for that, just email me a reminder, and I can shoot something over.
Yea make it more sensitive please !! I cant see the difference between 0 and 5 on the tachometer to be honest...
(#409)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Email a JB4 log at 0 and 5000rpm, at say 75% throttle, and lets see if its doing what it should be for you.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#410)
Old

Default 12-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Terry, is the tach supposed to move one tick at a time on menu 11? 50 clicks to go to 5? ...and the setting doesn't seem to stay where you put it.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
(#411)
Old

Car: 11 335i 6MT RWD
Default 12-27-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Terry, is the tach supposed to move one tick at a time on menu 11? 50 clicks to go to 5? ...and the setting doesn't seem to stay where you put it.
I can't remember, is it possible to just hold the button down?

I tried menu 11 once and I could definitely tell a difference but I ended up moving it back to the default.

2011 E90 335i RWD 6 Speed
FBO JB4 MHD
(#412)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yes 100rpm per click on that one, 0-5000rpm.

Burger Motorsports

(#413)
Old

Default 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM

OK, I set it this morning and I think I could tell a difference but I couldn't really test it due to traffic plus I'm running in non-BEF mode. I will flash back to pump map and test this evening.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
(#414)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Terry,

Any update on the BEF and figuring out the limitation on the N55. My car lives at 20psi all day no problem. I need more boost though and it will be happy one day with 25psi and pissed off the next with no change. There has to be something here. I am sure you guys are both working solutions but I feel completely in the dark at the moment. Is there any hope in the near horizon? The last dyno numbers where clean but not impressive. Are you starting to develop a hypothesis? (ie, turbo restriction, etc?)

@MHD, are you still continuing to unlock tables in the OEM XDF? Any promising news on this? There where many lessons learned on the N54 that seemed to develop as tables where uncovered, just not sure on the timeline.

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#415)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-28-2016, 10:03 AM

Development and problem solving is on a case by case basis. e.g., what is wrong with your specific setup that it craps out at 25psi? I run our development car at 23psi regularly and it's been reliable like that.

Burger Motorsports

(#416)
Old

Default 12-28-2016, 10:20 AM

Two main issues:
1. HPFP crashes. I can run some pump gas in my E mix but I think she needs the octane to keep timing happy. On the newest (200 load ceiling) BEF's the trims are always negative and the HPFP ends up crashing half the time. This is with the AIC6 set all the way up. If I go back to a older flash or change the ceiling to 180 or less this clears up. Now I am running your latest flash with a 180 ceiling and AIC6 set to 70 and trims are 25+/-10 all over.
2. timing. I get random timing drops. It tends to always happen at spool. Some cylinders are more common than others. Some days I can run 25 psi with avg ign of 1.5 or less. Others I have to run map 7 and still get avg ign of 2ish. The timing will drop to 0 and build throughout the rest of the log.

Ill send you some logs later today. Map 7 is beautiful. I think if I could solve the timing drops at spool it would cure this. I daily on e85 so I would not see how knock could be a big issue at these boost levels. I am running GTR plugs gapped to .018 and they look super clean. Coils have 10K miles on them.

This is not a "fix it" thread. I know that does elsewhere. This is really just a query for general update. Seems like we are at the point where MHD is providing a cleaner cobb solution with more possibilities but nothing seems to be much better from the dyno perspective (other than learning some timing table errors).

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#417)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM

You can email them or throw them in the support area for Steve to check out, since he is the fueling expert.

I would ditch the AIC6 and switch to a BMS controller though so the JB4 is able to control the PI and monitor its feedback. Makes dialing things in a lot easier.

Burger Motorsports

(#418)
Old

Default 12-28-2016, 10:42 AM

I would but Steve says he is working on another controller option. Dont want to buy the BMS controller if we are about to release a new one.

Ill post up logs so Steve can take a look.

(#419)
Old

Default 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Well, Terry, I guess I stand corrected. I reloaded the pump BEF, selected map 5, and put menu 11 at 5000rpm. Boost response was pretty good. I was ripping around my local "road course" pretty good last night. Don't know what I was doing before that made me think it didn't work. I guess all the changes since the switch to MHD...fuels, boost levels, flashes, adaptions, etc made it difficult to really know what I was feeling.

One thing though...when you set menu 11 to 5k and then commit the change, if you go right back into menu 11, it reads 2500. What's up with that?

On a side note, I have forgotten to set the JB4 to map 0 for my last couple of flashes but didn't have any problem connecting to the ECU and later saw that the JB4 was automagically put in map 0 for me. Is that by design?

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
(#420)
Old

Default 12-29-2016, 07:14 AM

Was playing around a bit last night and this morning with the flash and had a few questions to see if you could enlighten me.

The XDF has a timing main, 2 and 3. main and 2 are the same. The BEF modifies main but not 2. My pure 2 spools early and timing tends to aim at 18/14 and this tends to hold until boost hits. It will target 18 timing when PWN is maxed and then move down to 14 but 14 at 20+ psi down low tends to trigger timing correction that has to be made up later on. This happens enough to bother me. I am trying to take some spool timing out, even if this reduces spool a little (i hit 20 at 3k anyways). I think when PWN is maxed it pulls from the timing spool but I am not sure.

Also, when I get timing drops it does not really look like knock. I never get CEL for knocking. It appears that when I get correction it pulls from the timing 3 map. So since we added a bunch of timing on the e85 maps on main table but not on table 3 now we get double the timing correction that we would get. I am still not sure what tells the DME to go to timing 3, I assume its a function of knock algorithms but not actual knock detection more like knock expectations. I would like to see what these tables use if we ever get there, ie, is IAT a significant variable and should we be using a modified algorithm for e85 since the temp benefits are not seen by the manifold sensor.

Is this the correct understanding of the use of timing table 3 and if not can you let me know how the DME uses timing table 3?

(#421)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
One thing though...when you set menu 11 to 5k and then commit the change, if you go right back into menu 11, it reads 2500. What's up with that?
Hmm that could be a bug. I'll check it out next time I'm in the firmware.

*Edit found and fixed it. Drop me an email if you want a version early to test*

Burger Motorsports

(#422)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 01-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***sooba
Can we somehow provide an EU map for you guys?
I have an EU 135i dct and the only thing keeping me from not flashing is the US phantom codes that EU users get
Flash only, you'll get no codes since MHD uses the oem map (EU DCT in your case) before applying the tuned tables.
If you think about BEF, then Terry can disable the 3 DMTL codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturboawd
@MHD, are you still continuing to unlock tables in the OEM XDF? Any promising news on this? There where many lessons learned on the N54 that seemed to develop as tables where uncovered, just not sure on the timeline.
Of course we do. Many torque limiters / fuel limiters situations are popping up, on AT oem flash, on xDrive, part throttle, you name it and we've learned how to overcome most of them. I've given the Torque at clutch channel to Terry, it should help JB4 users. One key area is the fuel pressure, which should stay high during shifts (above 2000psi). You need a high sampling rate to see pressure drops during shifts.
(#423)
Old

Default 01-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Terry,

If we use a MHD map to shift boost over the the DME can we still use the JB4 for PI & monitoring? I know we have the ability to use the MHD maps but I am not sure if the PI interface will be disabled.

(#424)
Old

Car: 2011 N55 135DCT
Default 3 DMTL codes - 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM

I also have a EU spec 135 dct n55 and have the same 3 codes.

2011 135 n55 DCT RHD, MAMBA GTX3576R (5962) single turbo kit. Jb4 FBO. METH KIT WITH cm7 and cm4
(#425)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default MHD BEF Help - 01-02-2017, 01:31 PM

I have a 2008 135i and I have Stage 1 VTT turbos installed. I have not done any logs with my JB4 but I read that a BEF was needed if you run the hybrid turbos. The Stage 1s are the stock housing but run the TD04 14T and I opted for the Billet 6x6 upgrade so I would like to run more boost if possible. I live in Utah and I cant seem to find a decent tuner so any one who knows someone in the Salt Lake City area I would be willing to pay to help get my tune set up.

My question is do I need to purchase the 3.5 BAR upgrade and the required OEM BMW sensor part number: 13627843531 to take full advantage of my turbos? I currently have the following mods.

2008 135i MT with 58k. White with M Sport Package.
Short Shifter
AFE Intake
3" VRSF **
Axle Back Exhaust
JB4 G5 ISO with newest firmware
Vargas Stage 1 Turbos
BMS Cowl Delete
BMS Oil Cooler Mod
Charge Pipe with Tial BOV

I am planning on going with MHD for the BEF so I have everything set up I just havent pulled the trigger due to not knowing if I need the 3.5 BAR upgrade.

I have not upgraded my intercooler or the LPFP but I am torn on what should be the next upgrade. My goal is to run a solid 400-450 whp without having to run E85 or Race fuel. What do you guys recommend? I dont do track days or drag strip pulls I just drive spirited in the canyons sometimes. I drive my car hard but not for extended periods of time. I am leaning for the fuel pump but any advice is welcome.

I am new at the forum thing as well and I couldn't figure out how to start a new thred with these questions so I posted here.