N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default External Leakage Solenoid DIY - 02-27-2015, 12:50 AM

I realize that this is not a break through DIY, but when I saw no information about it I figured it would be a good idea to share my experience with fixing a solenoid that was externally leaking.

The DIY:

When I originally had a leaking Methanol solenoid, I was at first disappointed to learn that the only one currently offered through Coolingmist, is the push to release type. Now this does make installation a breeze, but the design itself is problematic.

Problems:

The O-ring Glands inside the solenoid allows for excessive movement of the O-ring. Why does this matter? This matters because during pressure cycling(when you use your meth) the O-ring moves inside the gland and slowly, in my case, quickly wears away at the O-ring. After about 7 months, the O-ring could no longer hold the pressure and caused external leakage. For people who run high concentrations of meth, this is especially problematic as it can cause unwanted fuel leakage, or even a fire.
Quite personally, this solenoid design has no business being in an engine bay, and would be more at home next to the meth pump in the trunk. Unfortunately that setup doesn't have good meth response time, especially when you don't use meth all that often. For those who put a solenoid in their engine bay should consider other options, such as a compression fitting. If anyone has a link to one, I am all ears, because I would love to buy one.

Short Term Solution:

Per the attached picture, you can replace the O-rings that wear out quickly due to a poorly designed O-ring gland. This is great for those who do not want to buy a new solenoid just to fix an external leakage problem. Obviously, a leakage test should be performed to verify no leakage, so always check for leaks after performing this repair. I also recommend replacing o-rings every 6-12 months depending on usage. Some will vouch that they are running the same O-rings for 3 years without issues, but circumstances will vary just as experiences will. For someone who is on the gas constantly, this is a quick and cheap repair which would give most people piece of mind.

Note:

For those who have an issue with the tube pulling out easily, you will want to consider replacing both the o-rings and the retainers as needed.

CLICK HERE FOR WHERE I BOUGHT MY O-RINGS
CLICK HERE FOR WHERE I BOUGHT MY NEW PUSH RELEASE RETAINERS
See below for the John Guest Retainer Clips, a Key component to preventing external leakage from coming back. This part prevents excessive O-ring movement.
Attached Images

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Nanometer; 08-31-2018 at 08:24 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-04-2016, 05:20 PM

Bringing this back from the dead to confirm that these solenoid o rings from Home Depot fixed my bad leak. They don't have them in stores so you have to order them online but comes with 12 o rings for $7. Well worth the money instead of buying another solenoid. Two thumbs up
(#3)
Old

Default 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM

Glad to hear it! I also use those Clips that are intended to go over the tubing which prevents movement of the tube retainer. They are called "john guest locking clip" They have been on my system for one year, with NO leaks! Very happy. And should have been shipped with the kit to begin with.

JOHN GUEST LOCKING CLIPS CLICK HERE

Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Nanometer; 08-31-2018 at 08:22 AM..
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-06-2016, 06:44 PM

Good idea and thanks for saving me the headache of trying to figure out where to get those O rings from.
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW 1M Coupe
Default 01-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Hi there,

do you have some photos of the replacement? this is really informative and helpful :D
(#6)
Old

Default 04-24-2017, 04:37 PM

Replacement what exactly?

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#7)
Old

Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 05-24-2017, 12:58 AM

best solution is to tap threads into both sides of the solenoid, and put two connectors on
just like the new version from BMS
as seen in pic

this is the route I'm going, since i have the solenoid you stated above and a new spare one for future.
it seems solenoids rarely go bad, its the retainers and O rings that fail.

2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 5862
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. CUSTOM TUNE, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...

Last edited by ferocious; 05-24-2017 at 01:34 AM..
(#8)
Old

Default 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Either pull the insert and tap it with a larger thread to an adapter, or just machine and grind a new insert with a .001 interference fit on the diameter. or Stick with my suggested fix on the above listed thread, or just buy the new solenoid that Terry has.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#9)
Old

Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 06-23-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnm135i
Brilliant idea tapping the solenoid! I'll get to work right away
👇🏼
Attached Images

2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 5862
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. CUSTOM TUNE, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
(#10)
Old

Default 08-31-2018, 08:21 AM

Just an update, since the making of this thread, I have had not external leakage issues since using those retainers(the C clip looking part). This part significant limits the movement of the O-ring causing premature failure. Still a very recommended modification for those not wanting to waste money on a compression fitting solenoid.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#11)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 08-31-2018, 01:04 PM

I bought the c clips that hold the plastic push retainers in place. There are Chinese knockoffs available on Amazon for $5 that reviewers claim are the same size as the John Guests. Hopefully I won't be chasing down leaks every 8-14 months after this.

Thanks!
(#12)
Old

Default 09-03-2018, 03:02 PM

just want to report back that those clips are super useful. the tubing won't even spin anymore with them attached.
(#13)
Old

Default 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Yea, I am sure that the push to connect design would have spent even more time as the solitary solution had those clips been a standard in every kit. Now that the new design has compression fittings which is a more trouble free design, there is almost no point to buying a push to connect, given the choice. However, like you, I am very satisfied with the reliability. I still have not had to service the O-ring or the retainers since this modification, and I am on the meth every day.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#14)
Old

Default 09-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
Yea, I am sure that the push to connect design would have spent even more time as the solitary solution had those clips been a standard in every kit. Now that the new design has compression fittings which is a more trouble free design, there is almost no point to buying a push to connect, given the choice. However, like you, I am very satisfied with the reliability. I still have not had to service the O-ring or the retainers since this modification, and I am on the meth every day.

The problem with compression all the way down to the injector is that it makes removing the injector difficult. you'll always have to disconnect at least one compression fitting and find a new nylon ferrule (or at least, it should be changed every disconnect).

A nice alternative to AN fittings, which could be disconnected and reconnected as often as you want, would be some kind of rubber washer friction fitting that we use on toilets and sinks. You know those steel braided hoses?

Personally, my ideal setup would be compression everywhere and one push o-ring at the injector on the charge pipe for easy servicing

For now, everything works so I'll leave it alone.