N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > General > DIY Modification
Reload this Page Repairing damaged 2013 2014 F Series ECU DME TMAP ground trace

(#1)
Old
Registered Users

Car: M135i
Default Repairing damaged 2013 2014 F Series ECU DME TMAP ground trace - 06-20-2015, 02:26 AM

Hi guys

A while ago I was unlucky to damage my ECU by letting the USB get in contact with the 12v rail. This burned the TMAP ground trace in the ECU, which meant that the TMAP sensor did not work and that I got P0238 and P007D. BMS/Terry know about this issue and there is a "quick fix" solution on the last page of the F30 install manual (PDF).

That solution is not good enough for me though, so today I got my ECU repaired so I no longer have to jumper the TMAP ground. BMW will replace your ECU if this happens to you and hand you a +2000usd bill (thats what I heard). It cost me 60usd to have it repaired + my own labor removing/installing the ECU (http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123651).
Attached Images

Last edited by harkes; 02-22-2016 at 06:17 PM..
(#2)
Old
Registered Users

Default 06-20-2015, 02:27 AM

Column 2 - pin 8
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-20-2015, 08:38 AM

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: bmw m135i
Default 10-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
Hi guys

A while ago I was unlucky to damage my ECU which meant that the TMAP sensor did not work. Luckily BMS/Terry know about this issue so he had a fix for it.

Today I got my ECU repaired so I no longer have to jumper the TMAP ground. BMW will replace your ECU if this happens to you and hand you a +2000usd bill (thats what I heard). It cost me 60usd to have it repaired + my own labor removing/installing the ECU (http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123651).
Hi there,
Thanks for sharing this useful information. Am also communicating with Terry on this to fix this issue. A question I have is it oil/grease we see on the dme board? Similarly, mine has oils as well? Could you advise if it's normal? Thank you in advance. Best regards.
(#5)
Old
Registered Users

Default 10-28-2015, 04:38 PM

No I believe that is some sort of wax or soldering flux - normal. You also got unlucky with your USB cable?
(#6)
Old

Car: E92 N55
Default 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
Column 2 - pin 8
What kind of shop did you take it to to get repaired???
(#7)
Old
Registered Users

Default 04-26-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjcover
What kind of shop did you take it to to get repaired???
I place that specialize in fixing flood damaged car electronics - yes, we have that in China
(#8)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Any electronics repair shop that is familiar with board level component repair should be able to knock this out for less than an hours labor. I've done this exact repair for Porsche as well as BMW ECU's. I would not attempt this as a DIY soldering project as you can easily ruin more than board traces if you are not careful with ESD and heat. The BMS work around is more than adequate otherwise.