N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Default Injector blew on N54 - 12-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Hey guys, I've got a bit of an issue on my hands and I figured I'd try to get some advice as I look into buying parts.

Story:

Had misfires before but replaced coil packs and the misfires went away. I still had rough idle which I figured were from the old spark plugs. Got new ones and then after two weeks of use with the new ones I got misfires beyond 4.5k RPM at WOT. I put the old plugs back in and for some reason it fixed the WOT issue but the rough idle came back.

I tried regapping the new plugs and putting them back in but I still had the same issue at WOT. Then eventually I got a full on misfire in cylinder 1. Then after driving it only a few dozen more miles, a strong stench of gasoline started coming from the car.

Smoke started pouring out from the hood so I took off the plastic engine cover on the side of the road to find injector 1 not in its socket and the metal fuel line coming from the rail snapped completely off. Pools of gasoline were sitting on top of the engine.

I had already been told that I had an injector not working at its full potential by my mechanic, but that was cylinder 4 and I never got symptoms from that. The only code I had was 29F3 Fuel Low Pressure Sensor Electric. I've already ordered that sensor but I have no clue what caused the injector to blow out of the engine and snap a metal fuel line clean off.

TL;DR injector blew out of its socket and broke off the metal fuel line after having a misfire.

Anybody have any idea what might have caused this?

I had already planned to buy all new injectors for each cylinder. Now I need to buy a new fuel line, so I figured I might as well buy a new fuel rail too. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I might need?