N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default N54 Front Turbo Oil Line issue, warning>>> - 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM

All,

I got a call from a very diligent installer yesterday and he had noticed something that he felt he needed to report back and I am glad he did. I have attached some pictures of an oil line that he was installing (see the rear line in the pic as well) and some more of another that was returned to me with some core returns (from original turbos) that I decided to dissect to show how the internals of the OEM lines when bent excessively can create an internal kink that is not correctable.

I am making this post to raise awareness for those getting any turbos installed, whether RB/OEM/etc... to make sure you do not see this issue. I am fairly certain that some may have negative side affects from a condition such as this and may not be aware that the fault is merely the internal line "damage".

I have a simple fix in the works, something I probably will offer with my turbos that will correct this for those who encounter the issue. I'd suggest any installer or enthusiast to be aware of this regardless of what turbos you run as you do not want ANY obstructions in your oil drains- this can and does lead to some weeping through the turbo seals and can cause smoke/etc. No one wants a simple situation like this to compromise your turbos, but ultimately the installer should make the educated decision as to whether the modification is necessary or is it not. A new OEM front drain line may also be the answer, as these were both used examples.

Hope this helps raise some awareness, and again thanks to the installer that took the extra time to point out this as this could've caused some grief down the road.

Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-09-2013 at 02:11 PM..