N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 335i
Default Strange Issues - 03-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker who typically is able to search out his answers but with this one I've had no luck. I have a 09' 335i xdrive w/ JB4/MHD BEF that my wife has been driving for some time now. Anyways a little while ago she said we needed gas as the tank was reading near empty. I got in an fired up the car and there was 3/4 tank, thought nothing of it. A month or so goes by and I had the car for the day. Everything was normal near full tank of gas, after driving a while I look down and notice the gas gauge is way off, like at 1/4 or something and my temp gauge has also moved from where it was quite a bit. (I do have those both set to read boost / timing on full throttle so I figured something was up with JB4. I tried the steering wheel controls to see what was up but it didn't work. I also noticed my cluster lights were off.

I pulled back into my garage shortly after and plugged in my cell to read codes via MHD in the OBD2 but it didn't recognize the cable was plugged in. The car was also idling quite rough out of the blue. I turned the car off then back on again and boom, everything was fine. Idle was good, dash lights back on, gauges back to where they were, OBD2 worked (but had no codes for me) and steering wheel controls for JB4 functioned again.

I'm thinking a dying battery possibly giving me some weird events, MHD said ~14.3v while the car was running properly again, unless the voltage drops out when driving. No codes or even a battery light though. Could this be a problem with the JB4 circuitry? I have a G5, had it for 3-4 years now with no previous issues. Any suggestions for where to look for this one, and how I could better diagnose the issue?

Also, not sure if directly related but recently the traction control / xdrive has been cutting out on my wife for no apparent rewason while driving. I was thinking it was due to faulty transfer case servo motor, but these other issues have popped up around the same time so I'm thinking the issue may be interconnected. (JB4 or battery or ???)
(#2)
Old

Default 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Well I tested the battery out and no problem there, voltage is good. I also removed the JB4 to check connections and all is well. Removed, cleaned and reinstalled with no difference. Car starts fine, after a short drive JB4 comes on when the engine is up to temp but shuts down shortly after. Stock(ish) boost levels, no steering controls, hijacked boost and timing gauges are in random incorrect locations and I cannot use the obd2 port. Turn the car off and back on again and everything is fine, JB4 is back on and everything is functioning correctly again. Could this be a malfunctioning 2580 chip?
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-24-2020, 06:16 PM

How olds your board?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 03-25-2020, 08:20 AM

It's 4-5 years old now and is a G5 ISO board. I took it apart and the board looks normal as far as I could tell, no burns, melted components or melted soldering from what I could see.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Well I installed a new 2580 chip and that appeared to fix all JB4 related issues with loss of steering controls, misaligned gauges, cluster lights, etc. Now I just need to figure out what's going on with these xdrive faults. I've pulled two codes 55c3 and 5f2f. Shifting is butter smooth all the time except for full throttle, high rpm shifts right now. There will be a delay then a hard thump as it goes into the next gear, then I lose xdrive. I'll pull the TC Actuator when I get a chance and see if there's anything noticeable. Anyone else experienced similar?
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-03-2020, 06:04 AM

Where is the thump coming from?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 04-03-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Where is the thump coming from?
Seems like the tranny giving delay and hard shift when WOT shifting and only past 6000rpm but only codes I get are TC related, 5F2F and 55C3. No tranny codes at all, I suspected solenoids but no codes, no hard downshifting at all, butter smooth all the time except when WOT as mentioned above. I find it strange if it's tranny related that only my TC is affected causing me loss of AWD when this happens, no codes.

Unless you or anyone else has any better suggestions, I think I'll take the TC actuator off and look for any visible wear or damage and if not proceed to changing the TC fluid then doing the tranny fluid and replacing the various Mechatronic sleeves. I am at ~70k Miles and am due for this service anyways.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM

Yeah, that would probably be the course I would take.

Do you have x-delete by chance?

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 04-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Yeah, that would probably be the course I would take.

Do you have x-delete by chance?
Thanks Dave, I don't have X-Delete but maybe that could help determine if the issue is indeed TC related or not, is that what you're thinking?
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB
Thanks Dave, I don't have X-Delete but maybe that could help determine if the issue is indeed TC related or not, is that what you're thinking?
Yes.

I donít think itís super expensive, $130 bucks maybe?

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.
Sounds good- also not a bad tool to have in general. Iíve been running my xi in RWD for the better part of 6 months.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i
Default 05-02-2020, 02:15 PM

Did you every find out what the cause of the error where? I am having the same problem 55c3 and 5f2f. Only throws the codes and hard pulls. I ordered XDelete thing it might be my transfer case or actuator. In rwd setting only. I still get the malfunction errors and codes.
(#14)
Old

Car: BWM X3 F25 N20AB20A
Exclamation /BMW X3 F25 N20B20A - 05-02-2020, 02:29 PM

Hello, could you please tell me where the firmware of BMW N20B20A has gone? I didn't find it in the log and website. Could you please send me a copy
(#15)
Old

Default 05-05-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil088
Did you every find out what the cause of the error where? I am having the same problem 55c3 and 5f2f. Only throws the codes and hard pulls. I ordered XDelete thing it might be my transfer case or actuator. In rwd setting only. I still get the malfunction errors and codes.
I didn't, I thought it was tune related as I changed the BEF file I was using and the problem seemed to disappear for a while, but it has come back again. Good to know you tried the xDelete to no avail, I pulled my actuator and took it apart and all was well. So my thoughts are now onto the transmission. I want xDelete, but I want to solve this issue first. I'm just prepping to do a fluid/filter and mech seal change since it's that time anyways and see what happens.

Have you checked your transmission adaptation values at all? If not you should download xHp on your phone for free and use the adaptation check feature, I'm interested in knowing how yours look. All of mine are good except my quickcharge rate on "E" which is at 93ms, everything else is less than 30ms and all my pressures are in the negatives except "A" which is at 161mbar which is still apparently quite low.

Does this happen to you in any gear or just <4th? Keep me in touch with what you find out, getting any info on this has proven to be quite difficult.
(#16)
Old

Default 05-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank98K
Hello, could you please tell me where the firmware of BMW N20B20A has gone? I didn't find it in the log and website. Could you please send me a copy
Sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread there bud.
(#17)
Old

Default 05-20-2020, 02:35 AM

I downloaded xHP flasher and checked my transmission abatations. Don’t really know how to read them. Clutch pressures at A 95, B -61, C -48, D -143 and E 219. Quick time A 0, B 34, C 2, D 0 and E 72. It seems to happen more in third gear. But i get 4x4 errors if I accelerate from a dead stop or if I try to do a burn out. I can try and pass someone on the highway and I can get a error. What I have noticed it seems to happen at higher rpms, around 5k. I took apart my transfer case actuator to check the gears and they look fine. I need to check my transmission fluid level. I’m curious to wondering why the error always comes up as F52F. Which means transmission control, interface. But it’s under as a DSC fault. Not as a transmission malfunction. I’m starting to think it’s a battery problem. I have good voltage. But these bmw systems are so crazy to battery voltage.
(#18)
Old

Default 05-20-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I downloaded xHP flasher and checked my transmission abatations. Donít really know how to read them. Clutch pressures at A 95, B -61, C -48, D -143 and E 219. Quick time A 0, B 34, C 2, D 0 and E 72. It seems to happen more in third gear. But i get 4x4 errors if I accelerate from a dead stop or if I try to do a burn out. I can try and pass someone on the highway and I can get a error. What I have noticed it seems to happen at higher rpms, around 5k. I took apart my transfer case actuator to check the gears and they look fine. I need to check my transmission fluid level. Iím curious to wondering why the error always comes up as F52F. Which means transmission control, interface. But itís under as a DSC fault. Not as a transmission malfunction. Iím starting to think itís a battery problem. I have good voltage. But these bmw systems are so crazy to battery voltage.
Your pressures look good overall as do your charge times besides "E". Mine was at 94ms and I've seen a number of other posters whos charge time for "E" was also high and they haven't said anything about shift issues so I'm not sure what the limit would be for "E" in that department. I recently did my fluid, pan/filter, seal change and the tranny seems to be running good right now. I want to get some more miles on it though before I can say if it's cured or not. I plan on changing the transfer fluid here shortly and if the problem still persists I will look at replacing the battery as well. Like you I seem to get good charge voltage, but the battery is old.
(#19)
Old

Default 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Any luck with your 5f2f fault and dsc 4x4 malfunction after your transmission fluid change? I checked my transmission fluid level and it was full. I also changed the fluid in my transfer case and reset oil wear with protool. Didnít seem to help. As soon as I hit the accelerator the car jerks and I lose awd and dsc. Same error come up 5f2f and 55c3. My next step is changing out the battery. I checked the date of the battery. Itís pretty old. January of 2012
(#20)
Old

Default 05-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Any luck with your 5f2f fault and dsc 4x4 malfunction after your transmission fluid change? I checked my transmission fluid level and it was full. I also changed the fluid in my transfer case and reset oil wear with protool. Didnít seem to help. As soon as I hit the accelerator the car jerks and I lose awd and dsc. Same error come up 5f2f and 55c3. My next step is changing out the battery. I checked the date of the battery. Itís pretty old. January of 2012
No faults as of yet. I've only taken this car out a couple times now since the fluid/filter change but so far so good. When's the last time your tranny fluid has been changed? I disconnected my actuator and got the same codes at WOT and you had xDelete and it still did the same. That's what makes me think this is tranny/shift related and the TC is giving fault as a reaction to this. Old battery hopefully could be the culprit for the shifting issues, not sure how old mine is but I haven't changed it in the 5 years I've owned the car, let me know how it goes with the new one and good luck.