N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
What??? WTF are you talking about? Automatics have numerous clutch packs. I think you're the one who doesn't understand how one works. How do you think the planetarys are controlled to make the gears engage? Its the clutches and bands. The torque converter just connects the engine to the transmission.
Yeah I completely forgot about those.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#52)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 06-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
True, I buy manual cars as I find them really fun. But the cla45 sucks it's dct shifts really slow and hesitates alot more than it should
That I can agree with as I've driven it and questioned who should be fired for putting that crappy DCT in the car.

I believe they fixed it in the new 2017 version along with facelift.
(#53)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
That I can agree with as I've driven it and questioned who should be fired for putting that crappy DCT in the car.

I believe they fixed it in the new 2017 version along with facelift.
They supposedly fixed it for the 2016 model as well but nope the software didn't do anything it still sucks. I'm not sure how long I actually have it I really miss my sti compared to this wanna be evo lol. I wish I could keep all my cars but I don't have enough garage space.

(#54)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 06-09-2016, 08:45 AM

Okay, I screwed up because those articles I quoted are completely wrong. Was at the dealer and they had an 8HP70 and a 8HP45 both out of their cars. They do NOT have the same case by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm guessing the 8HP90 is different than both of them. I have serious doubt about part retrofitting at this point.

One thing I was talking to the foreman about though is the possibility of putting the Hybrid 3s 8HP70H in a normal 3 and replacing the hybrid unit with a torque converter. We know that trans bolts to the N55, so it may be something worth exploring.

EDIT: With that said, if its not possible, I'd just ditch the car. I'd rather jam tacks in my eyes than ever own a manual car again.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i

Last edited by Mike_L; 06-09-2016 at 09:10 AM..
(#55)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Okay, I screwed up because those articles I quoted are completely wrong. Was at the dealer and they had an 8HP70 and a 8HP45 both out of their cars. They do NOT have the same case by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm guessing the 8HP90 is different than both of them. I have serious doubt about part retrofitting at this point.

One thing I was talking to the foreman about though is the possibility of putting the Hybrid 3s 8HP70H in a normal 3 and replacing the hybrid unit with a torque converter. We know that trans bolts to the N55, so it may be something worth exploring.
I was telling you it wasn't the same transmission just same model name, and didn't really share much asides from the shifter. The transmission may not bolt up as shafts lengths are different and software is different, the only similarities are the mating surface and shifter.

(#56)
Old

Car: BMW m4
Default 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:

EDIT: With that said, if its not possible, I'd just ditch the car. I'd rather jam tacks in my eyes than ever own a manual car again.
Lol? How bad were you at manual?
(#57)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I asked zf about that aparantly it's not that simple. More hardware is required asides from the torque converter like input and out put shaft, impellers etc, then actually working on the internals of this transmission is near impossible due to complexity due to zf, and they recommended we just buy a new box if ours breaks, read my newer above. Then software is the next issue.
You asked if a hp90 fits in a car that has a hp45, no? I was aware the housings were different and wouldnt fit. Didnt care to argue with Mike over it

Hence i figure to put a stronger torque converter in it. But i would first wait till something fails then open it. If its the clutch packs it makes no sense changing the torque converter.

We'll see how it holds up. In january my car is end of lease. Maybe i put it stock and sell it. Maybe i keep it. Time will tell.

F21 M140i - currently stock
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.6, 60-130: 5.3
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#58)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 06-12-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfoig
Lol? How bad were you at manual?
It's not that I'm bad at it, I just don't have the desire to drive it. So I end up picking a gear and leaving it there, or forgetting to shift, which kills acceleration, kills economy, kills everything.

Nyc traffic is just not good for manual transmissions. I once had to clutch 70 times in a quarter mile. Too much work for me.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#59)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
It's not that I'm bad at it, I just don't have the desire to drive it. So I end up picking a gear and leaving it there, or forgetting to shift, which kills acceleration, kills economy, kills everything.

Nyc traffic is just not good for manual transmissions. I once had to clutch 70 times in a quarter mile. Too much work for me.
Tell me about it, on my STi I had to run the Exedy Stage 5 Triple Metallic Disc Clutch with a few mods to it so that it could hold 850 - 982 Wtq (depending on gas) and that was quite difficult to daily.
#myleftlegisalotstrongerthanmyright

(#60)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi
Default 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
#myleftlegisalotstrongerthanmyright
Is that a Tryndamere quote??
(#61)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
Is that a Tryndamere quote??
LOL! you bet it is except it's referring to my legs instead of my arms. You play LOL?

But in all honesty it really isnt fun driving a multi plate clutch setup in traffic.

(#62)
Old

Car: 2012 bmw 335i
Default 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Wow this went from talking about internals for the the n55 to transmissions about transmissions not even related, then it goes to bashing each other then to everyone calming down xD well anyways, got some good information out of all that.... LOL manual Transmission for the win though, your connected to the road, your in control and its a lot more fun. ALOT cheaper to fix and stock can hold a lot more power then a stock auto trans..

2012 BMW 335i F30 N55/6MT
JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | VRSF ** | VRSF FMIC | E85 | NGK Plugs | MFactory FW | 335is Clutch | 255/40ZR18 Michilen Pilot Super Sports
(#63)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi
Default 06-14-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
LOL! you bet it is except it's referring to my legs instead of my arms. You play LOL?

But in all honesty it really isnt fun driving a multi plate clutch setup in traffic.
I have been playing since season 1 :D Balour is the name.

I had a twin disk in my DSM. It wasn't bad pressure wise (one of the benefits of multi plate) but try to leave gracefully from a stop sign is an issue. They can be pretty grabby. Then there is the rattling and clanking when you have the clutch pressed in and everyone thinks your car is a POS!

Back on topic - the 6AT in the E series seems to be able to handle more torque than the 8AT. 550wtq seems to be no issue for the 6AT, but after that longevity seems to head downhill and at 600 you are really pushing it.
(#64)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-14-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostergfx@gmail.com
Wow this went from talking about internals for the the n55 to transmissions about transmissions not even related, then it goes to bashing each other then to everyone calming down xD well anyways, got some good information out of all that.... LOL manual Transmission for the win though, your connected to the road, your in control and its a lot more fun. ALOT cheaper to fix and stock can hold a lot more power then a stock auto trans..
Pretty much.

(#65)
Old

Car: N55 M-Sport 335i
Default 06-19-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
I have been playing since season 1 :D Balour is the name.

I had a twin disk in my DSM. It wasn't bad pressure wise (one of the benefits of multi plate) but try to leave gracefully from a stop sign is an issue. They can be pretty grabby. Then there is the rattling and clanking when you have the clutch pressed in and everyone thinks your car is a POS!

Back on topic - the 6AT in the E series seems to be able to handle more torque than the 8AT. 550wtq seems to be no issue for the 6AT, but after that longevity seems to head downhill and at 600 you are really pushing it.
Mannnn, how have you been playing for so long and still be in Bronze? Explain yourself pleb.
(#66)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-19-2016, 11:20 PM

Wait we should start a league group

(#67)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default 07-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Wait we should start a league group
LOL if I ever get back into league, ill hit you guys up XD
(#68)
Old

Car: BMW 328i
Default 07-26-2016, 03:56 AM

Give it time, someone like exedy will release better frictions and steels and the zf will take a heap more power, the real limitation is the software, to keep the zf alive the shift needs to be faster with more pressure applied to the shift, this will keep the frictions from burning out and slipping.

The zf6hp has come a long way and can now be build to take over 1000rwhp with billet shafts and exedy frictions and steels.

No reason why the zf8 speed wont follow suit.

I would limit it to 500rwhp at the most, that is plenty for the street and will still be faster than a 600rwhp manual.
(#69)
Old

Car: 335i x-drive n55 2011
Default 05-02-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Coming from a guy who has built 2 different motors (fa20, ej257) 4 times total (1.forged internals in my fa20 and ported heads, 2. Forged internals 500whp rated ej257 and forged internals and ported heads. 3.750whp ej257 fully rebuilt long block cams, crank, etc. 4. Closed deck block 1000whp rated ej257) I think I have a few words of advice.
1. Don't waste money until your motor blows trust me engine builds cost so much, they aren't just foreged internals boom done. No you have to factor in labour, machining so pistons have perfect tolerances, new belts, pumps, lines, clutches, seals etc. Then break in fluid change retune etc.
2. Forged internal cars literally do not last as long as a stock motor because the forged pistons don't expand and contract much. This causes cold starts to rattle the piston inside the cylinder until it is hot enough to expand to operating size and seal. Related cold starts wear out rings and you begin to burn oil, that's why cold start idling is crucial to longevity. Built motors generally go to 120,000 miles before oil burning becomes a major issue.

Now onto BMW stuff:
1. The 600whp turbo is a prototype and not yet offered as many other have already said.
2.tuning is quite limited, but I've found ess is able to patch the ECU and enable corrections and retuning through obd2 after initial bench flash, so in theory tuning isn't a big problem as if now.
3.afrs, F series n55 EWG runs really really lean, and tend to misfire like crazy when set richer so it may be risky pushing 600whp on lean afrs.
4. Octane, on higher e85 mixes the F series tend to misfire as top end fuelling is still an issue with no one having developed an ethanol BEF yet. Race gas only option may be expensive and I'm not sure if it has the same issues. Leaning on meth for that much power is asinine in my opinion.
5.transmission: this may be the hardest issue to tackle (trust me I had Shep trans build my sti tranny and that costed alot of money, and after hard track days over time even 1000 wtq synchros and gears still fail).
***REMEBER TORQUE IS THE FACTOR THAT KILLS TRANSMISSIONS
1. You zf8speed or automatic transmission users better learn how to drive stick, as I'm not sure how the auto tranny torque converter will deal with this kind of power when real "sticky" tires are used. So you'd need to do a manual transmission swap.
Otherwise you'd have to get a stronger zf gear box but I've looked into that you'd need adapters to fit it to the engine, new software and computers to control it and that may not play nice or even work with your current DME, you'd need new mounting points and reinforcements as the new transmission is larger (some of then are) and heavier so it may not clear some underbody components. All that being said you're looking at over $20,000. So it's cheaper to go manual.

Manual: 1. Get the f8x clutch, not sure if the stick mnaual can handle much more than 500wtq as it is only rated for 370tq.
2. (Most reliable and best option, grab an "M" tranny as they have beefed up internals rated for more power) for 2 series guys grab an m2 tranny, 3/4 series grab an m3/m4 tranny. Clutches in those can handle up to 700wtq.

That's my opinion on transmissions.

That's my opinions on a 600whp build, hope I can be helpful. PM me if you want more help, and I'll do my best.

Im rebuilding my n55. Im debating between goimg forged pistons or no....would you do it

335i x-drive 2011 e90 n55

ER chargepipe | performance line d.p | 90/10 bms meth kit | K&N drop in | JB4 + MHD pump flash | xhp stage 3 flash | PURE STAGE 2 turbo