N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#176)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 08-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Seems like the links to the product and mobile kit don’t work anymore.
(#177)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 08-01-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Seems like the links to the product and mobile kit donít work anymore.
Site was redone: https://www.burgertuning.com/collections/mercedes-benz

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#178)
Old

Question Installed: map 1 logs attached - 08-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Installed yesterday. I’ll post a longer review with some thoughts/tips/suggestions in a bit, but I want to get some map 1 logs here as a first step for BMS to evaluate. Hopefully the logs are long enough to be useful.

In one sentence though, I’ll say that map 1 feels amazing. So far extremely smooth and pulls like crazy. Very pleased so far.

One question for BMS awhile...your initial post shows Fuel Open Loop as 30 for default value, but my mobile app shows 0.0, in case this matters. I don’t understand what that does, so I didn’t want to change it on my own.

After getting your feedback/approval/recommendation on map1, please let me know if it’s safe to log map 2 (I use 93 octane).
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-08-04 10_00_32_Map-1.csv (8.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-04 10_00_51_Map-1.csv (8.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-04 10_02_35_Map-1.csv (9.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-04 10_04_21_Map-1.csv (8.6 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by ezatnova; 08-04-2019 at 12:07 PM..
(#179)
Old

Car: MB W205 C250
Default 08-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Installed yesterday. Iíll post a longer review with some thoughts/tips/suggestions in a bit, but I want to get some map 1 logs here as a first step for BMS to evaluate. Hopefully the logs are long enough to be useful.

In one sentence though, Iíll say that map 1 feels amazing. So far extremely smooth and pulls like crazy. Very pleased so far.

One question for BMS awhile...your initial post shows Fuel Open Loop as 30 for default value, but my mobile app shows 0.0, in case this matters. I donít understand what that does, so I didnít want to change it on my own.
Congrats to your install. How is smoothnes? On 4th gear is it smooth from 3500 rpm to redline? No hesistation?
(#180)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Installed yesterday. Iíll post a longer review with some thoughts/tips/suggestions in a bit, but I want to get some map 1 logs here as a first step for BMS to evaluate. Hopefully the logs are long enough to be useful.

In one sentence though, Iíll say that map 1 feels amazing. So far extremely smooth and pulls like crazy. Very pleased so far.

One question for BMS awhile...your initial post shows Fuel Open Loop as 30 for default value, but my mobile app shows 0.0, in case this matters. I donít understand what that does, so I didnít want to change it on my own.

After getting your feedback/approval/recommendation on map1, please let me know if itís safe to log map 2 (I use 93 octane).
It's a setting we use to balance out fuel trims. These logs look OK but go ahead and enter Open Loop = 30 and grab another map1 log for comparison.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#181)
Old

Default 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It's a setting we use to balance out fuel trims. These logs look OK but go ahead and enter Open Loop = 30 and grab another map1 log for comparison.
Thanks Terry, will do.
(#182)
Old

Default Map 1 fuel open loop 30 logs attached - 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM

Hi Terry,

Attaching two logs from map 1 with your recommended change to the fuel open loop (now at 30). As you can see, one was a highway pull and the other was more back road. If you need longer ones to properly analyze, just let me know.

If you can let me know your thoughts on these, and then a yes/no on trying a map 2 log, that would be great.

Still shocked at how hard this pulls on map 1. Very noticeable difference from stock. I think it really must tax the traction control and grip levels of the tires because even after doing these pulls at speed (3rd-5th gear), all I smell is cooked rubber when I park it and get out of the car, even leaving TCS fully engaged. That never used to happen.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-08-05 09_49_58_Map-1.csv (4.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-05 09_53_45_Map-1.csv (5.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by ezatnova; 08-05-2019 at 10:25 AM..
(#183)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Looks good to me, you can leave the open loop setting as is.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#184)
Old

Default 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Looks good to me, you can leave the open loop setting as is.
Thanks. Iíll post a map 2 log as time permits.
(#185)
Old

Default Map w log attached - 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Terry please see map 2 for analysis.

Initial feedback is that I didnít notice a real big difference from map 1.

Also at partial throttle it gets a bit hesitant/jumpy. Noticeably not smooth just like 30-50% throttle in 3rd or 4th gear. Reminiscent of Notabenexís. Didnít get a log of it, but figured Iíd mention.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-08-06 19_16_10_Map-2.csv (10.5 KB, 98 views)
(#186)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Map2 seems OK. On part throttle grab a log of it next time and we can always check it out.

Burger Motorsports

(#187)
Old

Car: Volkswagen GOLF R
Default 08-08-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard
Does he have a tune stacked with JB4 or just the JB4? Iím going to the track next Wednesday and will test numerous maps along with my stage 2 tune only.
He has just the jb4 and the da was around 1000 feet. Itís been amazing and car is reacting perfectly with it!!
(#188)
Old

Car: 2014 335i M-Sport
Default 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:

After getting your feedback/approval/recommendation on map1, please let me know if itís safe to log map 2 (I use 93 octane).
thoughts/tips/suggestion on installation? How long did it take you to install or did you have a shop do it? Thanks.

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#189)
Old

Default 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan
thoughts/tips/suggestion on installation? How long did it take you to install or did you have a shop do it? Thanks.
Definitely donít need a shop to do it. Takes 3 hours if you take your time and 1-1.5 if you move quickly and have done it before. Itís basically an hour plus the time fighting with sensors 1 and 3.

Tips:

obviously start with a cold engine

Use a magnetic torx so you donít drop the screws

Ask BMS for the few other videos theyíve made for sensors 1 and 3. They arenít revolutionary by any means but they donít hurt.

Have someone help. Four hands are helpful for sensors 1 and 3. Someone can finagle a long flathead in there to press the female part off while someone can get their hand cut up and curse while pressing the locking release tab.

Personal tip after seeing water damaged boards is, RTV well around the outside of the JB boxís ring gasket and also the looming grommet. And mobile connect wire exit. That should water-tight it.

Also a stupid little thing but itís not mentioned in the install...your OBDII protective cover will flap around and be annoying with the JB4 plugged in, so carefully pry that off and save it somewhere and itíll solve that minor issue.
(#190)
Old

Car: 2014 335i M-Sport
Default 08-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the tip! I gave up from sensor one and took it to a shop which still took 3 hours with two techs. BMS, could you please point me to videos regarding the removal of sensors 1 and 3? Thank you!

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#191)
Old
Administrator

Default 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Here's the two videos for the MAP sensors.

For MAP sensors 1 & 2:

For MAP sensors 3 & 4:

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#192)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Thank you Jon!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#193)
Old
JB4 addict

Car: powered by JB4
Default 08-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Hi Team - just wondering if there's any progress/update on whether there will be in-dash controls with this merc version of jb4 platform, similar to the controls in the bmw platform?

Particularly interested in whether we can keep flaps 'always open' like we could in the B58(F30) bmw version of the jb4?

Thanks!
(#194)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-15-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikiii
Hi Team - just wondering if there's any progress/update on whether there will be in-dash controls with this merc version of jb4 platform, similar to the controls in the bmw platform?

Particularly interested in whether we can keep flaps 'always open' like we could in the B58(F30) bmw version of the jb4?

Thanks!
We're definitely working on it. It's tricky because we can't find an OEM tool to let us reverse out the command we need. But once we get them we'll add them to our entire MB C platform lineup via free firmware update.

Burger Motorsports

(#195)
Old
JB4 addict

Car: powered by JB4
Default 08-15-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
We're definitely working on it. It's tricky because we can't find an OEM tool to let us reverse out the command we need. But once we get them we'll add them to our entire MB C platform lineup via free firmware update.
Thanks Terry - will continue to wait & look forward to it!~ Hope you guys can find that tool
(#196)
Old

Default 08-16-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
By “tool“ do you mean a line of code or do you mean a physical tool? It’s not OEM, but many cars (like mine) are running the module from ASR that plugs into the wire for the flaps (in the trunk) and lets you override the flap closing and have it open full time. (It’s brilliant, by the way). Would getting one of those modules perhaps give you the info you need on what signal to send and control the flaps?
(#197)
Old

Car: MB W205 C250
Default 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
By ďtoolď do you mean a line of code or do you mean a physical tool? Itís not OEM, but many cars (like mine) are running the module from ASR that plugs into the wire for the flaps (in the trunk) and lets you override the flap closing and have it open full time. (Itís brilliant, by the way). Would getting one of those modules perhaps give you the info you need on what signal to send and control the flaps?
+1 I have the same solution and it works well
(#198)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
By ďtoolď do you mean a line of code or do you mean a physical tool? Itís not OEM, but many cars (like mine) are running the module from ASR that plugs into the wire for the flaps (in the trunk) and lets you override the flap closing and have it open full time. (Itís brilliant, by the way). Would getting one of those modules perhaps give you the info you need on what signal to send and control the flaps?
No because this tool is physically intercepting the signal (like the JB4 does) and altering it, I need the commands to do the same behaviors via the integrated CANbus system, to recreate the features we have on our BMW JB4 system.

So for an example an OEM tool you plug in the OBDII port that lets you test the exhaust flapper open or closed.

Burger Motorsports

(#199)
Old

Default 08-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
No because this tool is physically intercepting the signal (like the JB4 does) and altering it, I need the commands to do the same behaviors via the integrated CANbus system, to recreate the features we have on our BMW JB4 system.

So for an example an OEM tool you plug in the OBDII port that lets you test the exhaust flapper open or closed.
Gotcha. Ah well, figured it was worth mentioning in case it was something you could use.
(#200)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Installed my JB4 tonight and went for a spin - wow!

Initial quick review:
Map 1 - not bad but looking for more ...
Map 2 - found it!

- Map 0 felt like stock of course.
- Map 1 was noticeably faster, more power, tires spin more easily and throttle is responsive. But I definitely did not buy this thing for map one.
- Map 2 was the same but even more power. Feels close to my old 548whp N54 535i, but power delivery is more midrange which is nice.

Log of map 2 is attached, BMS can you take a look? Looked good to me but interested in input.

I plan to try out map 3 this weekend! - after I swing by an E85 station, probably do a 20% mix to start and see how it logs. Expecting good results

I didn't notice any hesitation or odd behavior at idle, part throttle, or full throttle on any map. It did do a very slight stumble when I switched from map 0 to map 1 on JB4 app with engine running the first time but was not concerning. I switched maps after that with engine idling and did not notice it again.

Over all I'm very pleased so far! More to come ...
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-08-16 23_07_08_3rdgear.csv (7.4 KB, 119 views)

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold

Last edited by LessIsMore; 08-17-2019 at 08:29 AM..