N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Ocean's Avatar
Ocean Ocean is offline
Legend
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: May 2011
Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 12-30-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiserharris
Well, this may be my goodbye. I've been very disappointed with this car. I really miss my 09 335. This car has no power, the brakes suck and the suspension is horrible. The car feels like you are riding on steel wheels. And there's a thumping noise coming from the rear (dealership sayes nothing's wrong). So anyways going to look at some mustangs tomorrow, maybe even a gt500.
It's a nice looking car, but IMHO it rides like a Buick. Just a big boat with soft suspension and crap electronic steering.
Once you have had a tuned N54 car nearly anything else is a huge disappointment. So I hate to say it but you sort of set yourself up for a letdown.

It is possible to improve this car a lot, but it would require a bit of a make-over. First lose the run flat tires. That will eliminate the harsh road feel. Then add KW coil overs and lower the stance a bit. Then on to the power department: Get Terry's JB4, DCI, FMIC/CP and *********. Probably a meth kit as well.
You've still got a car that weighs over 4,200 lbs, but that should improve things a lot.

Another option is to look for a used CTS-V. Those cars are no joke and are easy to tune. The suspension is phenomenal.


Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
Reply With Quote
(#27)
Old
Hierlevelz Hierlevelz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car: 09 E90
Default 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Damn shame man car does look sharp and I kinda had my sights set on a 550 in a year or two.
Reply With Quote
(#28)
Old
ballinsoldier's Avatar
ballinsoldier ballinsoldier is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: F30 335i
Default 12-30-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
It's a nice looking car, but IMHO it rides like a Buick. Just a big boat with soft suspension and crap electronic steering.
Once you have had a tuned N54 car nearly anything else is a huge disappointment. So I hate to say it but you sort of set yourself up for a letdown.

It is possible to improve this car a lot, but it would require a bit of a make-over. First lose the run flat tires. That will eliminate the harsh road feel. Then add KW coil overs and lower the stance a bit. Then on to the power department: Get Terry's JB4, DCI, FMIC/CP and *********. Probably a meth kit as well.
You've still got a car that weighs over 4,200 lbs, but that should improve things a lot.

Another option is to look for a used CTS-V. Those cars are no joke and are easy to tune. The suspension is phenomenal.
That's kind of the selling point of the car I guess. It's more luxury sedan than the 3 series and isn't really focused on sportyness. It's a big car with a soft suspension. You're right, you'd need a huge makeover to make it feel like your previous car, but then you're making it something it wasnt intended to be in the first place I suppose.

The M5 felt enormous to me but handled better than its size/weight made me think it should, but that's the M5, doubt any 5 series comes close to it in the handling part. The power, well that car needs a good 75hp to feel as 'thrusty' as a 335 in stock form.

A GT500 would be fun but you'll notice the drop in interior feel/matierals easily, but you probably noticed that to a degree coming from your old 3 series. The smile 660 horses will put on your face when you punch it may make up for that though
Reply With Quote
(#29)
Old
suii suii is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: 535i
Default 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Get yourself an N54 5 series and never look back !!!
Reply With Quote
(#30)
Old
JETmn JETmn is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 552
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: 2011 335xi
Default 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM

The newer mustangs are not horrible, but I don't think I could handle the interior. The coyote engine is a beast though. I agree with checking out a CTS-V.
Reply With Quote
(#31)
Old
Hellraiserharris's Avatar
Hellraiserharris Hellraiserharris is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 14' 435i
Default 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Well I'm not getting rid of the car. They are only offering $50000 for it with just 2000 miles. That's a $17000 hit. So I guess I'm modding this car. Did test drive the gt500. That car is a beast. I hit like 95-100 in 2nd gear. It was funny the salesman was hanging on to the seatbelt and door handles with white knuckles.

So what should I do 1st. Suspension or jb4?


14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
Reply With Quote
(#32)
Old
nebrou nebrou is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 33
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: 08 BMW 335i
Default 12-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycain
he's also referencing a 535....bigger car compared to a 335 (he had before).
I don't think so. I think he is disappointed by power it delivers after having a Tuned N54 engine. The new look of 5 series F10 is much better than e60 one.
Reply With Quote
(#33)
Old
Torgus Torgus is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 496
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 335xi
Default 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiserharris
well i'm not getting rid of the car. They are only offering $50000 for it with just 2000 miles. That's a $17000 hit. So i guess i'm modding this car. Did test drive the gt500. That car is a beast. I hit like 95-100 in 2nd gear. It was funny the salesman was hanging on to the seatbelt and door handles with white knuckles.

So what should i do 1st. Suspension or jb4?
jb4
Reply With Quote
(#34)
Old
Hierlevelz Hierlevelz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car: 09 E90
Default 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiserharris
Well I'm not getting rid of the car. They are only offering $50000 for it with just 2000 miles. That's a $17000 hit. So I guess I'm modding this car. Did test drive the gt500. That car is a beast. I hit like 95-100 in 2nd gear. It was funny the salesman was hanging on to the seatbelt and door handles with white knuckles.

So what should I do 1st. Suspension or jb4?
Damn 17k
Reply With Quote
(#35)
Old
Hellraiserharris's Avatar
Hellraiserharris Hellraiserharris is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 14' 435i
Default 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Yes I can't believe it depreciated that much. It really pissed me off.


14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
Reply With Quote
(#36)
Old
ballinsoldier's Avatar
ballinsoldier ballinsoldier is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: F30 335i
Default 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM

They're offering you so little because it's a 'used' car now and they want to leave room for profit themselves. What was that old saying, you lose 15% just for driving it off the lot.

I remember getting my truck appraised for trade in 2 years after I got it and it was about half what I paid for it so I didn't do it. Drove it another 50k miles and 5 more years (80k miles total and 7 years old) and got $6k less for it than I was offered when it was 2 years old with 20k miles.

The life of buying new cars...
Reply With Quote
(#37)
Old
Hierlevelz Hierlevelz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car: 09 E90
Default 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Isn't that more like 25-30% "depreciation." How much of a margin do those dealers need. Let me guess prep fees bla bla bla.
Reply With Quote
(#38)
Old
E36graduate E36graduate is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Nov 2010
Car: 335xi Sport
Default 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Hellraiser....this is the first new 535 I've seen....I see a lot of mod potential....tint, lowering it, spacers and slightly bigger rims would make that look sweet.

As for the trade in allowance, did they give you a good value?

Funny you are looking at Mustangs....I have been searching quite a bit but for a GT, however when the dealers tell me my car is worth $9k - $10, I'm all done with this trade in crap and I will spend more money on my car!!




2013 335i M-Sport - 6MT - Not too many mods.....Yet !
Reply With Quote
(#39)
Old
ballinsoldier's Avatar
ballinsoldier ballinsoldier is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: F30 335i
Default 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz
Isn't that more like 25-30% "depreciation." How much of a margin do those dealers need. Let me guess prep fees bla bla bla.
As much as they can get, they're in it to make money for themselves, not to give people good deals. I think a lot of times they just use whatever they can assure themselves of getting at an auction and pad that a bit. If you see a used but still pretty new car on the lot, you can be sure they're making a killing on that sale.

I guess we could always sell our cars ourselves and pocked that extra cash. I know I could've easily gotten another $2-$3k (which translated into 20-30% more) for my last vehicle if I had just sold it private party. The price we pay for convenience I suppose...
Reply With Quote
(#40)
Old
Hellraiserharris's Avatar
Hellraiserharris Hellraiserharris is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 14' 435i
Default 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM

You know I was figure on maybe a 5-6k hit but not 17000. As far as being fair. I don't know Kelly blue book doesn't even go up to 2014 yet. So they might have tried to give me 2013 values.


14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
Reply With Quote
(#41)
Old
Hellraiserharris's Avatar
Hellraiserharris Hellraiserharris is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 14' 435i
Default 01-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduate
Hellraiser....this is the first new 535 I've seen....I see a lot of mod potential....tint, lowering it, spacers and slightly bigger rims would make that look sweet.

As for the trade in allowance, did they give you a good value?

Funny you are looking at Mustangs....I have been searching quite a bit but for a GT, however when the dealers tell me my car is worth $9k - $10, I'm all done with this trade in crap and I will spend more money on my car!!
Yeah just trying to figure out the order. I want the jb4, lower(just don't know wether to get just spring or spring/shocks. Only have 2500 miles on it.) and get rid of these runflats.


14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
Reply With Quote
(#42)
Old
Hierlevelz Hierlevelz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car: 09 E90
Default 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM

I think the car has lots of potential. Suspension mods and blacked out with the JB4 for a lil extra oomph. I would trade my 335 and step up to that if I could. I don't care for the stop start function though. Had me a 2013 528i fully loaded loaner and I disabled that function every time I got into the car.
Reply With Quote
(#43)
Old
Hellraiserharris's Avatar
Hellraiserharris Hellraiserharris is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 14' 435i
Default 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz
I think the car has lots of potential. Suspension mods and blacked out with the JB4 for a lil extra oomph. I would trade my 335 and step up to that if I could. I don't care for the stop start function though. Had me a 2013 528i fully loaded loaner and I disabled that function every time I got into the car.
I hate the start/stop also. Dealer wants like $180 to disable it.


14' 435i. M-Sport, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, more to come
Reply With Quote
(#44)
Old
phillyfan phillyfan is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 08 335i
Default 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Why don't you just private party sell it? You'll still probably take a hit, but not that large, and someone out there wouldn't mind saving a few thousand off what is basically still a new car. It's never going to feel like a 3 series, so I don't think just adding power is going to make you like it.
Reply With Quote
(#45)
Old
Ocean's Avatar
Ocean Ocean is offline
Legend
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: May 2011
Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM

The F10 platform is derived from the previous generation 7 series. That's is why the car is so much bigger and heavier. But it can be improved a lot. Addressing tires/suspension and engine power will make it a much better ride.
The RFT tires are very expensive new ($400 each I think) so try to sell those quickly as you might come out even on a performance tire swap (Michelin Pilot Super Sports or similar.)


Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
Reply With Quote
(#46)
Old
JETmn JETmn is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 552
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: 2011 335xi
Default 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiserharris
You know I was figure on maybe a 5-6k hit but not 17000. As far as being fair. I don't know Kelly blue book doesn't even go up to 2014 yet. So they might have tried to give me 2013 values.
You forgot about the dealership's commission. They are probably going to make $8k on that car new, so you just lost $8k there for nothing. Add on the actual depreciation and there you go. Most people get pretty leary of a car with 2k on it being sold, makes you wonder what is wrong with it.
Reply With Quote
(#47)
Old
dewme5 dewme5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: 08 535i
Default 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM

Engines always come alive after a bit of a break in. It won't happen over night, but progressively more power will come.

What rear gearing do you have? 500 hundred pounds is not going to be a huge difference. Noticeable at the strip or track, yes. On the street.. Yeah, but not a huge feel. Factory gearing changes, for whatever reason they were made, will be extremely noticeable. If your old car was sporty, geared to top out at 150, and your new one is geared to top out at 185, then you will surely notice it, and not like it.

JB4 is alot of bang for the buck.

I personally would suggest doing everything in one department at a time. I start with power. So, JB4, DP, trans flash, and backend flash at a minimum, preferably add on DCI and Meth. Always run supreme fuel. CA is 91, but FL is 94.
Reply With Quote
(#48)
Old
335's Avatar
335 335 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: E92 335xi
Default 01-04-2014, 01:22 PM

nice ride man, after my 335 i want to get an E92 M3 or the M4 =]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com