N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default E60 Cracked Rim - 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM

I have a cracked rim on my car and the wife has approved of getting new rims

So I currently have 124 style rims that came with the car on here already and my tires are still good.

Do not have a huge budget and to be entirely honest wheel shopping is a mystery to me in terms of what will fit and what will not.

I have 245 40 18 in the front and 275 35 18 in the rear.

What I know so far is that I need to keep it in 18" rims to be able to use the tires, and that we have 5x120 setup with a 72.5mm centre bore and that the default offset is 20mm

I know these things to be true because I can search the internet but I have no idea what the hell they mean.

SOOOOOOOOOO

Can I use a rim with an offset of 35mm? If so will it take any modifications to do so? Lastly will it look funny? Help this dumb guy with your expert knowledge of the wheel industry.
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM

You can do 35mm offset but just add a spacer. That way you push it back out to where you want it.
Maybe talk to Modbargains and see what they have. You could also replace the cracked rim, get a reconditioned 124 rim for maybe $200.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#3)
Old

Default 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks Peder, what type of BMS spacer would be recommended, and would I need spacers in the front and rear or just the rear for the wider stance?
(#4)
Old
Legend

Default 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Depends on the rims you buy. So if you have decided to get brand new rims, then you can probably find some choices in offsets. For your 535i you'd be looking for 20-30 offset, but various shops who sell these rims will know what fits your car. First decision is to pick a brand and style you want.
BTW you can ebay the 3 Style 124 rims. They are made by BBS and actually worth something if in good condition. Keep the TPMS though, transfer them to new rims.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#5)
Old

Default 11-05-2013, 05:10 PM

I am kind of shopping more by price as first priority and then by brand and style. I have a budget I want to stay under as this was not a planned issue. Since I can buy 1 124 style rim for about 250 I would rather spend other 500-600 and get 4 rims the way I want and then as you said Ebay off the remainder or sell them on the forums for those that may have had a similar issue and just need 1 rim to offset the price. Total budget is trying to stay under 1k and re-use my tires since they have good tread still.

I guess my main issue is finding a decent selection of rims in my price range that I like that meet the offset limitation (which I know nothing about)

Which is why I came to ask what range of offset do I have to stay between and can spacers fix the problem, and if they can fix the problem what kind of sub issues may they cause with look and or drive ability.

Anyone with knowledge of offsets and spacers for our 5 series care to help me make sense of this haha.

As always thanks for the help Peder you are a true legend when it comes to being helpful.
(#6)
Old
Legend

Default 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM

VMR and Miro are popular. Assume you have a 535i Sport with staggered 18s. This means the rears are wider, so don't get a square set. http://www.modbargains.com/vmr-wheels.htm
I suggest you look carefully at weight. Each extra pound is like a hp lost.
Scroll down and look at the ASAs. They are made in China under BBS license. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...&filterNew=All

Sleeper 5 series
(#7)
Old

Default 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Ended up talking to Modbargains as you had discussed and got some VMR's put on today !!! Will have some pics to show off soon !!!