(#1426)
Old
Kia Efficinato

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Default 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hybrid turbos looking promising.
What car is that? And that's obviously a dyno pull being a single gear log?

-MurlinatoR

Connoisseur of all things Kia
(#1427)
Old
Kia Efficinato

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Default 01-09-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Added v8 firmware to the first post so we can start to get a wider range of data in. This update makes the JB4 not only the best Stinger tuning solution but also the best Stinger data logging system available.

v8

1) Enabled over boost and run lean safety systems. Value "last safety" will be stored in the event of a failsafe for later analysis in the read only area of the JB4 user adjustment page.
b) Over boost safety: If boost exceeds value entered under "boost safety" on the user adjustment page (default value of 20psi) for more than a second under heavy throttle JB4 will revert to map0 (stock tuning).
b) Run lean safety: If air/fuel ratio in either bank exceeds 15:1 for more than a second under heavy throttle the JB4 will revert to map0 (stock tuning).
2) Revised CANbus to add cylinder 2-6 raw timing advance. Although early days we expect this data to further help customers when doing custom tuning, exploring the power limits of various fuels and modifications, and to become a backbone of the upcoming JB4 auto tuning logic we're working on. This logging can be disabled by setting FutureUseD bit4 on.
3) Added option for a more linear pedal input to boost profile mapping. The default pedal mapping is FutureUseD bit7 OFF, while setting FutureUseD bit7 ON enables the more linear input mapping.
Hey Terry, for more layman like myself, can you explain more plainly what the "linear mapping" for the pedal is doing?

Also, is this negating what the BMS Pedal Tuner is doing that I purchased?

-MurlinatoR

Connoisseur of all things Kia
(#1428)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM

For those interested in larger turbos.

Stinger JB4 Pure Hyrid Turbo Testing - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1429)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurlinatoR
Hey Terry, for more layman like myself, can you explain more plainly what the "linear mapping" for the pedal is doing?

Also, is this negating what the BMS Pedal Tuner is doing that I purchased?
The linear mapping is the pre v6 firmware mapping that 80% of the customers didn't like... Now the 20% who prefer a less responsive pedal in v6+ have that option to run the old mapping and can stop emailing me. For most of you, it won't apply.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1430)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR Stinger
Hey Terry, I added a full turbo back, I am fully c@t-less now. Ran the car on MAP 1 and had some boost issues and the car went into safe mode with "0" boost. Restarted the car and all is ok, then same problem occurs after a couple of runs. Pulls strong at first then some hesitation and then no boost as usual.

Have a look at the logs and let me know.
Terry, further to my earlier post, here is another log from today were the power just cut.

Let me know if there is a solution for this.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-10 15_50_15 Map-1 Power Cut.csv (7.4 KB, 31 views)

JB4 - HKS M40iL - AEM Intake - BMS TiAL BOV - VT Snorkels - Snow WMI - NGT Primaries - JUN BL Mid-pipe w/200cell HFCs & EVC c@t-back - Radium OCC x2
(#1431)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Terry, further to my earlier post, here is another log from today were the power just cut.

Let me know if there is a solution for this.
Can't see any power cut in the log other than you letting off the gas pedal, when did it cut out?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1432)
Old

Default 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Can't see any power cut in the log other than you letting off the gas pedal, when did it cut out?
At the end of the log you will notice the throttle closing before I let of the pedal, thats when it cut. The other logs in my earlier post also show the no boost issue also happening.

Worth noting that my exhaust is an EVC, with the valves closed I haven't able to trigger any issues.

JB4 - HKS M40iL - AEM Intake - BMS TiAL BOV - VT Snorkels - Snow WMI - NGT Primaries - JUN BL Mid-pipe w/200cell HFCs & EVC c@t-back - Radium OCC x2
(#1433)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
At the end of the log you will notice the throttle closing before I let of the pedal, thats when it cut. The other logs in my earlier post also show the no boost issue also happening.

Worth noting that my exhaust is an EVC, with the valves closed I haven't able to trigger any issues.
Don't see anything in the log. Throttle closes when you let off the gas. The differences in the chart is within the rate of sampling. Is DSC fully disabled? Maybe cut a bump?

If there was a boost cut safety when you got back on the gas next run you'd make no boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#1434)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Looks about right for the octane. Try a longer run on map2 next.
hey could you please look at these logs two are map 2 and one is map 1. I don't think map 2 is playing nice with my fuel. felt sluggish on map 2 sometimes. thanks2019-01-10 12_55_01 Map-1.csv

2019-01-10 12_48_29 Map-2.csv

2019-01-10 12_43_49 Map-2.csv
(#1435)
Old

Default 01-10-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Don't see anything in the log. Throttle closes when you let off the gas. The differences in the chart is within the rate of sampling. Is DSC fully disabled? Maybe cut a bump?

If there was a boost cut safety when you got back on the gas next run you'd make no boost.
Yeah on two occasions it wen't to no boost mode.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-08 17_17_50 Map-1 no boost.csv (4.2 KB, 28 views)

(#1436)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamdan
hey could you please look at these logs two are map 2 and one is map 1. I don't think map 2 is playing nice with my fuel. felt sluggish on map 2 sometimes. thanksAttachment 82620

Attachment 82621

Attachment 82622
Timing is fine on map2, no signs of knock. AFR and boost are normal too.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1437)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah on two occasions it wen't to no boost mode.
No boost mode is normally caused by the ECU observing higher boost than it expects, what mods are on the car?

For starters I'd get up to map2 or map3.

Burger Motorsports

(#1438)
Old

Car: Stinger gt2
Default 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM

I believe he has ******* primaries which may be causing an overboost?? Could that be possible terry?
(#1439)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 07:33 PM

If he has bolt on mods then definitely needs to be on map2 or map3!

Burger Motorsports

(#1440)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If he has bolt on mods then definitely needs to be on map2 or map3!
Yes I have bolt-ons as mentioned in my first post regarding the issue.

Anyways, here are a couple of runs with my 20's and 295 firestones on map 2 and 3 respectively.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-11 17_14_58 Map-2 12.25.csv (18.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv 2019-01-11 17_35_22 Map-3 12.1.csv (16.3 KB, 31 views)

(#1441)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Logs look good! Able to trigger the issue on map2 or map3?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1442)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Logs look good! Able to trigger the issue on map2 or map3?
So far no.

The runs were on 93oct and small jet of WMI using my Snow kit.

(#1443)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger
Default 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM

New Firmware. I think I see knock here in some cylinder late in 4th...
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-10 20_18_20 Map-2 (Stock).csv (22.8 KB, 38 views)
(#1444)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomz
New Firmware. I think I see knock here in some cylinder late in 4th...
Yes some timing pull there, looks as expected for pump gas under high load. Since it isn't walking down no need to lower boost, but may not want to increase it either, until octane is raised.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1445)
Old

Car: '18 Stinger GT2
Default 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes I have bolt-ons as mentioned in my first post regarding the issue.

Anyways, here are a couple of runs with my 20's and 295 firestones on map 2 and 3 respectively.
1mph gain from switching to map 2 > 3 is pretty impressive! I really thought you'd be able to launch better with those 295s though, that's a bummer. I'm still waiting on my wheels but my 295 Pilot Sport 4s's are waiting patiently in my garage
(#1446)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger
Default 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

This is map 2 on 92 octane. If the engine is pulling timing by 3s it is experiencing a knock event right? Not sure I feel comfortable with that. This was a tank from costco. Going to go back to shell and see if that changes anything...
(#1447)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomz
This is map 2 on 92 octane. If the engine is pulling timing by 3s it is experiencing a knock event right? Not sure I feel comfortable with that. This was a tank from costco. Going to go back to shell and see if that changes anything...
No, it's an adaptive timing system. There is always going to be "timing pull" happening as timing is advanced up as closely to the knock threshold as possible.

If timing is rolling downward in a specific cylinder, like 3 consecutive timing pulls, with no recovery, then you're likely running too much boost for the fuel quality. Still won't damage anything but you'd likely be faster with a lower boost target for the same fuel.

If you have a serious "knock event" you'll throw a "super knock" fault code and the ECU will go to low boost mode.

Burger Motorsports

(#1448)
Old

Car: Hyundai I30N Performance
Default 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and have been trying to get up to speed on the JB4 in particular.

I have had a Hyundai I30N since March and live in Scotland. I’ve been running a DTUK Tuning Box since May - stock Dyno figures came in at 266hp and 285ft/lbs torque. With the tuning box on its ‘Sport’ setting, the figures were 294hp and 343 ft/lbs torque. Graph looked fine according to the company (they specialised in ECU remaps so you could argue that they were a little cynical on ‘piggyback’ boxes’,.

However, the guys genuinely couldn’t find any fault in the readouts.

The car is performing very well with the tuning box and there’s a really tangible difference in performance. There is app control via Bluetooth so you can change the ‘mode’ but according to the tech support, there’s no difference in power output between modes/maps. It’s just a difference in how the power is delivered.

The box itself is connected via the MAP, boost and Cam sensors.

I do like the sound of the JB4 and the extra level of customisation that it appears to offer. I suppose I have a few questions -

1) What are the expected gains?
2) Do the spark plugs require upgrading?
3) Has there been much testing on the i30n/Vesoter N platforms?

First post is always full of questions! Hopefully I can contribute to the forum going forward and my previous car was Kia Pro Ceed GT (201bhp) - think it might be known as the Forte in the states.

Thanks

Last edited by Crocoman; 01-11-2019 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling
(#1449)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Since you already have a tuner, and we don't have fuel control active the Hyundai I30N yet, it's hard to know what if anything you'll pick up by adding the JB4 at this point. You'd have a lot better logging and diagnostics, and the potential for fuel control down the road, but you've already spent a ton on that system so I can't tell you whether it will be worth it. Plug suggestions are the same for whatever you're using now. If they are fine now they will be fine with the JB4.

Burger Motorsports

(#1450)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger 3.3L, 1972 Cutlass 403, 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9L
Default 01-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Found a diagnostic tool that has some of the logging parameters I've been wanting to add to the JB4. 2019 is going to be a great year for the Stinger!
Can you name what you're using? I've been an Autel customer for a while, but they haven't updated anything since 2016 and support is actually getting worse.....