N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#651)
Old
BecauseRacecar

Car: 2011 135
Default Final drive change on 6MT - coding required? - 03-05-2019, 04:16 PM

Hello all. I'm currently running JB4 with BEF on the stock turbo but I'm upgrading to the speedtech 7670 kit this week. I'm also installing a helical LSD with a 2.81 final drive. Are there any changes required when doing this with a 6MT? The transmission folder in the 98G0B xdf does not have "rear axle ratio" or any other gear ratio tables defined when I open it in Tunerpro.

Thanks in advance.
(#652)
Old
BecauseRacecar

Car: 2011 135
Default Final drive ratio change on 6MT - 03-29-2019, 05:48 AM

FYI all the 2.81 final drive change does not seem to be causing any issues.
(#653)
Old

Car: 13 f30 335i
Default Boost target - 05-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Hi Terry,
Seem that I'm like 2psi under target. Should I just increase ff? How is everything looking. Using 40 meth add should target 19 or 20psi?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-05 14_04_37_Map-3.csv (13.3 KB, 105 views)

F30 PWG PS2 + WMI + MHD Bef/JB4 + VRSF FBO + N20TMAP. MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector.
(#654)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2019, 11:59 AM

Duty bias should be learning up. You can add 10 across the board to speed that up though.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#655)
Old

Car: 13 f30 335i
Default 05-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Duty bias should be learning up. You can add 10 across the board to speed that up though.
I Dont think the DB auto adjust in this firmware. neither ff

F30 PWG PS2 + WMI + MHD Bef/JB4 + VRSF FBO + N20TMAP. MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector.
(#656)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM

I am thinking of going PS2 on my EWG N55 but not sure if I should do a BEF with BM3 or keep using only my JB4. Also would I benefit more by doing a BMS meth kit or just upgrading to a fuel-it stage 2 LPFP? Any advice?

BMW F30 335i M-Sport - JB4, BMS Intake, VRSF FMIC, BMS CP, VRSF D/p
(#657)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 n55 xDrive 6MT
Default 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckstudios
I am thinking of going PS2 on my EWG N55 but not sure if I should do a BEF with BM3 or keep using only my JB4. Also would I benefit more by doing a BMS meth kit or just upgrading to a fuel-it stage 2 LPFP? Any advice?
The advantage to running a BEF is so that you have more latitude for fueling and timing...neither of which are necessary unless you intend to run some percentage of E85 for more octane. So it really comes down to how much power you want to make and the availability of E85 in your area.

If you're not going to run E85, there really isn't much point in going to the expense/trouble of flashing.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
Pure Stg 2 | DV+ | Pure inlet | MHD/JB4
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake | Shifteck 4-inch "expansion chamber" | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | ECS 2-piece rotors
255/40-18 square | 8.5x18 ET35
Fortune Auto MSC-1 coilovers 8k/10k
(#658)
Old

Car: BMW 640i F12 Convertible
Default External WG Firmware - 10-15-2019, 10:50 PM

JB4_F_MAC_T2
&
JB4_F_MAC_T3
Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_F_MAC_T2.hex (68.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: hex JB4_F_MAC_T3.hex (68.9 KB, 50 views)

N55 F12 640i Convertible w/ Big Boost Turbo 3.4 (RHD)
TUNE JB4 + Custom MHD BEF from Wedge Performance + xHP Stage 3 Flash
BOLT ON'S BMS Intake | Wagner Comp FMIC | Custom Down Pipe/Screamer Pipe & Charge Pipe with Becker CatBack Exhaust | PR Coils | Step 2 Colder Spark Plugs
FUEL - PR Stage 2 LPFP | EOS Intake Manifold w/ Port Injection & JB4 PI Controller

Last edited by Lexi_boi; 11-13-2019 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: New file
(#659)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Any updates to this thread? I plan to run a BWEFR 8474 eventually so I would like to be sure everything is available (software wise) to work with the JB4 and PI controller.
(#660)
Old

Default 01-23-2020, 02:39 AM

Anyone??
(#661)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-23-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7
Anyone??
We have quite a few people running different kits. The tuning is pretty solid, just need to get it on the car and start doing the little dialing in

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#662)
Old

Car: M3
Default 02-03-2020, 03:12 PM

Trying to get my boost control to work on a Big Boost setup and I'm either getting wastegate spring pressure on map 0 or it sends boost to the moon (30+psi) on any other map.

Is there an N55 JB4 specific firmware for using a MAC solenoid?
(#663)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 n55 xDrive 6MT
Default 02-03-2020, 03:18 PM

Does that turbo have a pressure-actuated wastegate or vacuum-actuated?

I'm no expert on this, btw, just curious.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
Pure Stg 2 | DV+ | Pure inlet | MHD/JB4
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake | Shifteck 4-inch "expansion chamber" | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | ECS 2-piece rotors
255/40-18 square | 8.5x18 ET35
Fortune Auto MSC-1 coilovers 8k/10k
(#664)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2016 F22 M235i Mineral White
Default 02-03-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage
Trying to get my boost control to work on a Big Boost setup and I'm either getting wastegate spring pressure on map 0 or it sends boost to the moon (30+psi) on any other map.

You running a BEF?
Send me an email with some logs ill help you out

Big Boost, designing world's most innovating and efficient turbo kits!
-----------------
BigBoost Instagram: @bigboostturbo
webpage: bigboostusa.com

BigBoost's car: BMW M240i
Stage 3.4 turbo
Current B58 record holder: Currently: 822 WHP
4.8 100-200
10.85 @ 135 1/4 mile

Daily Driver: BMW M235i
BBT stage 3.3 turbo

Garage Queen: 2014 Nissan GT-R
EcuTek ECM and TCM tune, BDM DumpPipes, BDM intakes, BDM full race exhaust, hybrid turbos, E85. 936 WHP
(#665)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage

Yes!! Email me for it terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

(#666)
Old

Default 02-04-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryj00
The advantage to running a BEF is so that you have more latitude for fueling and timing...neither of which are necessary unless you intend to run some percentage of E85 for more octane. So it really comes down to how much power you want to make and the availability of E85 in your area.

If you're not going to run E85, there really isn't much point in going to the expense/trouble of flashing.
After being heavily involved in high performance turbo car modification for the past 25 years, this statement makes absolutely no sense what so ever! if the person is looking at upgrading to a PS2 then he'll be pushing more air through the motor which means when the correct AFR is maintained it will make pore power at the same or less boost pressure, since as I'm sure we all know, power is made by FLOW and higher boost breaks engines.
Before there was ever anything like E85 we made more power with larger turbos and more fuel, this is a basic principle! you cannot get more power without burning MORE fuel. What E85 actually allows is even MORE power by allowing more ignition timing with more boost pressure since it does not detonate as easily, if you try upgrading the turbo without fuelling, the motor will run lean, begin to miss fire and eventually melt down.
I have been reading all over this forum that a BEF and PI is not necessary unless running ethanol, and that if you do, the amount of gas you will have to burn will cause miss firing. This just makes no sense as the volume of ethanol required to make the same power as gasoline is sometimes up to four times! please give the correct advise when you're answering someone who doesn't know.
I myself will be upgrading my N55 with an EFR 8474, PI, JB4 with MHD BEF with all the required supporting fuel and ignition mods, ill be sure post my results to prove what is correct.
(#667)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 02-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7
After being heavily involved in high performance turbo car modification for the past 25 years, this statement makes absolutely no sense what so ever! if the person is looking at upgrading to a PS2 then he'll be pushing more air through the motor which means when the correct AFR is maintained it will make pore power at the same or less boost pressure, since as I'm sure we all know, power is made by FLOW and higher boost breaks engines.
Before there was ever anything like E85 we made more power with larger turbos and more fuel, this is a basic principle! you cannot get more power without burning MORE fuel. What E85 actually allows is even MORE power by allowing more ignition timing with more boost pressure since it does not detonate as easily, if you try upgrading the turbo without fuelling, the motor will run lean, begin to miss fire and eventually melt down.
I have been reading all over this forum that a BEF and PI is not necessary unless running ethanol, and that if you do, the amount of gas you will have to burn will cause miss firing. This just makes no sense as the volume of ethanol required to make the same power as gasoline is sometimes up to four times! please give the correct advise when you're answering someone who doesn't know.
I myself will be upgrading my N55 with an EFR 8474, PI, JB4 with MHD BEF with all the required supporting fuel and ignition mods, ill be sure post my results to prove what is correct.
I'm looking forward to your updates, I'll be doing the same later this summer, my EFR8374 is sitting on the shelf waiting for me. Just haven't decided on the fueling yet.

2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
(#668)
Old

Car: 2013 535i xDrive
Default Pure Stage 2 - Still Slow Boosting - WGDC 0 Until late 3,000 RPMs - 02-18-2020, 05:54 AM

2013 535i xDrive
ngk 1 step colder (originally gap .020, but backed it back to .028)
New Pure Turbo stage 2 PWG set for 6inHg (cold) as it was on my stock (tested before disconnect)
NO down pipe YET (Waiting) Stock catalytic
GFB+ diverter upgrade
recently added N20 3.5 TMAP
VRSF charge pipe
Stock Turbo intake (Try to find a decent one for 535i xDrive. I will be fabricating my own from 2.5" OD aluminum.
xHP transmission tune Stage 3
New wastegate valve (didn't need it) Vacuum 25inHg. In park WG Act. side pulses up to 25inHg (gauge) when I tap the pedal.
Replaced all turbo seals. no boost leak (Up to 15psi, Loss 1 psi every 2 sec.)
MHD Stage 2 (93 oct Map)
MHD with jb4 BEF (JB4_F_PWG3_RACE_5.bin the only one that will load)
JB4 firmware N55_F_PWG_INT_13_T1.hex (Tried _T7, which just made WGDC higher, but no difference)
Connections (TMAP, MAP, FUEL, WG solenoid), Wireless to Android)
93oct (could be up to 10 Ethen in my area in NY) Also Royal Purple 3oct boost to smooth out

My WGDC does not come off 0 until around 3,800 RPMs then shoots to a max value depending on. If I set my WG default to 80, it will drop to 0 hitting the gas pedal until around 3,800 again. Having FF at 100 WGDC will shoot to 100. If I have FF at 50, WGDC jumps to somewhere around 65, but the rate of boosting is the same.

My understanding from Terry is that WGDC is additive to DME Duty Cycle. Ran JB4 in 0, bought MHD logging, and found my Duty cycle is in the 30 to 50 range. I still do not know why JB4 would keep WGDC 0 until such a late time in the RPM.

Hooked a wireless camera up to watch the wastegate while driving. The best I can see is it's moving (not big movements could I tell).

When my down pipe arrives I will put an exhaust pressure gauge on the primary O2 Bung. I do not think my exhaust is clogging, and I can hit higher pressures eventually, so there is flow.

I will also be changing my O2 sensor.

I have gone through everything except re-evaluating the wastegate on the new PS2, checking back pressure (exhaust), installing down pipe, replacing O2, replacing MAF. I know it is closed loop, but I forgot to hook my MAF back up and drove. Not too cold, but my first and second gear with partial pedal was boosting quickly until things warmed up. Bad MAF, Sticky wastegate when hot? I did notice that when I pulled a vacuum on the WG Act. and the car was extremely warm still, it only took 5.2inHg until the arm stopped moving. Different then a cold test.

I am still looking at tuning until I can get underneath, but how to I get WGDC to make the WG full close sooner. FF 40 to 100 - no change, WG Default 0 - 100 - no change, Duty bias is at 100. See attached example, sorry not all 3 gear pulls, but it does show my slow boosting. I don't want it to be a bad WG on the new PS2, long hours to change.
(#669)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-18-2020, 11:28 AM

WGDC is lower because boost is at or over target. First you need to setup a reasonable boost target.

What fuel is being used?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#670)
Old

Default 02-18-2020, 12:16 PM

Shell 93 plus 3 point octane boost... listed above.

I see in this data file at 3615 rpms, boost as 3.5, target is 12.6 wgdc still 0.
At 4442 rpms, boost is 8.9, target is 12.6, and wgdc just comes off to 5, then at 4583 rpms wgdc jumps to 98.

why wouldn't wgdc go towards 60, 90, 100 anything to help build boost. Am I reading this wrong?

I see that boost does eventually go over target and wgdc does begin to drop. (side note, I can make boost and wgdc follow the same pattern, but wgdc will max out at 60 just by making FF something like 50.

In map 5, I thought it sets the boost pattern, but tries to hit 17. even if boost targets are changed, the wgdc doesn't close soon enough to start building boost.
(#671)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2020, 11:46 AM

Are you talking about spool up? The JB4 firmware doesn't kick in until boost is over ~5psi as the flash map is in spool mode at that point. If the JB4 adds WGDC there you'll usually wind up with a big over-boost as both would be adding a lot of WGDC.

Burger Motorsports

(#672)
Old

Default 02-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Ok, so you said to me at one point that the jb4 WGDC is an additive number to the dme duty. I can see with my wireless video camera the wastegate moving, and JB4 WGDC still at 0.

at around 8.8psi jb4 wgdc just starts to move off 0 to anywhere from 6 - 30 PSI and the data point, say 9.4 PSI it's at the max depending on my FF setting.

My PWG JB4 flash either -T1 on the website or the -T7 you gave me still seem to react at 8.8 - 8.9 PSI. Is there a way to tweek it (spool up complete level) the level lower for spool and control the PID gain down to account for it.

All my logs still show the addition shooting to max WGDC around 9psi (60 wgdc for FF 50 or 100 wgdc for FF 100)

I do have a PS2 and perhaps I have to remove the JB to insure direct connect to the MHD flashing and log to see if the boosting is different and the dme duty cycle. It's funny that the CSV log file doesn't have the DME's DUTY CYCLE as a column, but is visible in the Android Graph function.

When I compare in GRAPH the dme duty goes from 28 to say 44 (hitting 8.8psi) while WGDC is 0.

Why do I see in other peoples logs the WGDC at 99 during spool (See Attachment)
Attached Images

(#673)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2020, 01:34 PM

We could enable spool up mode in the JB4 firmware to force WGDC at 100% until a percentage of boost target is reach. But it's going to result in over boosting most likely at any reasonable setting.

Burger Motorsports

(#674)
Old

Default 02-19-2020, 02:33 PM

I want to go with the BMS WMI, but until I can control this better and work out the tuning I'll wait.

Map 6 is for tweaking, but it would be nice to handle other addons through JB4. Adding WMI with safety...JB4, Ethanol mix...JB4, I would like Larger Turbo...JB4 and the ability to perhaps handle what most DME flashes don't because they are for stock turbos. Some make flashes for Larger turbos, but that's a separate cost and usually for EWG. MHD wants $600 to custom tune my PS2, but I will be doing future changes and don't know if it's worth the $600 if I may need to upgrade again something.

I am assuming these larger turbos have special needs during spool up in lower RPMs, it would be nice to be able to control that tuning in JB4 too. My total wgdc (0) seems to stay low while its way below the Target for several thousand RPMs.

By RPMs would be great, but even something like chose a PSI level to begin boosting. so instead of 5PSI I could change it to 3PSI.
(#675)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2020, 08:39 PM

I think it's a false assumption, likely WGDC is already maxed out as is. But if you want to email I can send a firmware to test with JB4's spool up mode enabled to play with.

Burger Motorsports