N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default Inconsistent timing, random misfires. HPFP, coils? - 03-11-2019, 10:22 AM

I’m having issues getting commanded timing out of my setup and I’m not sure what the culprit is. Here is a top level overview of mods:

Doc race 6266
Stage 3 LPFP
BMS pi controller, PI
BL coils
E85

My car seems to run fine on WGs with both pump gas and E85. On the E85 tune I tried to up to boost to 20 psi and got misfires across all cylinder on M4 plugs at stock gap. I switched to the NGK 2 step colder plugs and gapped them at .020 and now I will get intermittent cylinder 5 misfire. Even when cylinder 5 doesn’t misfire I can’t seem to get commanded timing (7*) across all cylinders.

Looking at my logs it appears the HPFP is crashing and recovering so I’m wondering if this is causing the misfires? The LPFP and trims look good to me though so maybe the crash and recover is normal.

I am also maybe suspecting that the R8 coils aren’t what they are cracked up to be. I do have them modded so they sit properly.

Any ideas? I can’t upload at work so I tried to upload a log from the drive in via mobile, hope it works.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-11 09_24_51 Map-3.csv (13.1 KB, 21 views)

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Iím having issues getting commanded timing out of my setup and Iím not sure what the culprit is. Here is a top level overview of mods:

Doc race 6266
Stage 3 LPFP
BMS pi controller, PI
BL coils
E85

My car seems to run fine on WGs with both pump gas and E85. On the E85 tune I tried to up to boost to 20 psi and got misfires across all cylinder on M4 plugs at stock gap. I switched to the NGK 2 step colder plugs and gapped them at .020 and now I will get intermittent cylinder 5 misfire. Even when cylinder 5 doesnít misfire I canít seem to get commanded timing (7*) across all cylinders.

Looking at my logs it appears the HPFP is crashing and recovering so Iím wondering if this is causing the misfires? The LPFP and trims look good to me though so maybe the crash and recover is normal.

I am also maybe suspecting that the R8 coils arenít what they are cracked up to be. I do have them modded so they sit properly.

Any ideas? I canít upload at work so I tried to upload a log from the drive in via mobile, hope it works.
That fluctuation in the HPFP is odd- especially over a single gear pull.

In my personal experience- the upgraded coil experiment many locals try- id say if the 5 guys I know with them, 4 went back to eldor or other oem coils.

Try closing your plug gap a little more .018

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 03-13-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Iím having issues getting commanded timing out of my setup and Iím not sure what the culprit is. Here is a top level overview of mods:

Doc race 6266
Stage 3 LPFP
BMS pi controller, PI
BL coils
E85

My car seems to run fine on WGs with both pump gas and E85. On the E85 tune I tried to up to boost to 20 psi and got misfires across all cylinder on M4 plugs at stock gap. I switched to the NGK 2 step colder plugs and gapped them at .020 and now I will get intermittent cylinder 5 misfire. Even when cylinder 5 doesnít misfire I canít seem to get commanded timing (7*) across all cylinders.

Looking at my logs it appears the HPFP is crashing and recovering so Iím wondering if this is causing the misfires? The LPFP and trims look good to me though so maybe the crash and recover is normal.

I am also maybe suspecting that the R8 coils arenít what they are cracked up to be. I do have them modded so they sit properly.

Any ideas? I canít upload at work so I tried to upload a log from the drive in via mobile, hope it works.
Turn pi up more. Hpfp crashes because you need to raise fuel bias.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I’m having issues getting commanded timing out of my setup and I’m not sure what the culprit is. Here is a top level overview of mods:

Doc race 6266
Stage 3 LPFP
BMS pi controller, PI
BL coils
E85

My car seems to run fine on WGs with both pump gas and E85. On the E85 tune I tried to up to boost to 20 psi and got misfires across all cylinder on M4 plugs at stock gap. I switched to the NGK 2 step colder plugs and gapped them at .020 and now I will get intermittent cylinder 5 misfire. Even when cylinder 5 doesn’t misfire I can’t seem to get commanded timing (7*) across all cylinders.

Looking at my logs it appears the HPFP is crashing and recovering so I’m wondering if this is causing the misfires? The LPFP and trims look good to me though so maybe the crash and recover is normal.

I am also maybe suspecting that the R8 coils aren’t what they are cracked up to be. I do have them modded so they sit properly.

Any ideas? I can’t upload at work so I tried to upload a log from the drive in via mobile, hope it works.
Set your DB to 60 across the board- we can see if that helps stability on your HP end- you have a stage 3 LPFP so you should have plenty on that end. Trims do look fine- so as we raise PI, will want to keep that in check.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL