N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2016 435ix GC
Default 3.5 Bar TMAP Swap - 01-15-2020, 09:45 PM

So this is part DIY and part question.
I installed a 3.5 Bar TMAP but didnt really need. However the side affect of running a 3.5 on intake side with a JB4 in Map5 is a higher boost target by nearly 2 psi.

My question is what happens if I run two 3.5 bar tmaps one on the intake and one on the manifold?

Im asking because while running only on intake side I noticed some wackiness with fuel. Since the readings were different the system reacted a little wonky on the Autel.

Also if I run two will the boost be more steady at 18-19 psi since it will no longer have conflicting readings?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
H&R Springs, Sways, Strut Tower bar, 19"x10 Rotiforms, Too much carbon goodness
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-16-2020, 09:52 AM

You only need to change the one on the CP.

Post a log so we can evaluate for you.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: E90
Default 01-27-2020, 06:25 PM

So you don't have to replace both pressure sensors when going 3.5? Only the cp one? What is the manifold one measuring then?

2011 F10 535i | D Shoup Flash | PS2 | GFB DV+ | Wagner FMIC | Helix Overdrive | Sprint Booster | CDV Mod | Koni Yellows | Eibach Sports | M5 Sways | Spec 2 Clutch | SMF | UUC SSK | Custom Inlet | Custom Dynomax Exhaust
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateva
So you don't have to replace both pressure sensors when going 3.5? Only the cp one? What is the manifold one measuring then?
Correct, CP only.
IIRC vacuum.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 3.5 matching sensors and then some - 02-01-2020, 05:57 PM

Today I installed a 3.5 Bar on my intake side as well. It seemed to make some difference in a few areas.
1. Boost Target at stop went from 12.3 to 13.1
2. Boost Target at WOT was exceeded from 18.9 to 19.8
3. AFR was dropped from 15.1 sitting to under 15.0
4. Throttle was more responsive
5. Virtual HP and Torque numbers went through the roof.

I figured the MHD Stage 2+ OTS flash would be a great start and if JB4 layered over it, it may help to raise the boost ceiling and get me a few more PSI.

I also remembered when my friend hooked the car to an Autel we noticed that with only one sensor, the maps would disagree and we thought it possibly caused a rich fuel scenario as there was slight compensation for the disagreement in intake pressure readings. This is what led me to think about changing second Map sensor today. As a Bi-Product the boost target raised from 10.5 to 12.3 with the charge pipe sensor and 12.3 to 13.1 with the intake sensor installed.

I think my combo today was a success so thought I'd share. Maps are attached as well as a video.

Mods as od today's test:
- JB4 Map 5
- MHD Stage 2+ BEF
- JB4 Wastegate control connector
- Go Fast bits DV+ Diverter upgrade
- All Charge and inlet *****
- BMS FMIC
- Dianan Closed box cold air system
- NGK one step colder plugs
- Precision Racewerks Coils system
- VRSF Catted High Flow **
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-01 16_30_49_Map-5.csv (8.0 KB, 76 views)

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
(#6)
Old

Car: 2012 n55 135i
Default 02-01-2020, 06:39 PM

The signal from the CP sensor is being routed through and massaged by JB4 before going out to the DME. The manifold sensor sensor is not going through JB4.

Seems to me that putting a 3.5 bar sensor on the manifold will send a signal to the DME that it is not calibrated for. Probably not a good idea despite your findings.

2012 135i Mods: air scoops, CP, BMS filter, PS1, N20 TMAP, ADE FMIC, BMW PE, JB4, BMS BEF, 1M front body, full M3 suspension
Owned so far: 88 M3 x 2, 95 325is, 95 M3 x 2, 06 Mini Cooper S, 08 335 xi, 09 Z4 35i, 01 M3, 12 135i
(#7)
Old

Default 02-01-2020, 08:06 PM

So few questions
1. Why does it matter the signal is massaged by JB4 before going back to DME. Arent signals just sending the pressure captured back to DME with some adjustments, theoretically DME doesnt know its been massaged right
2. What if I flash the N20 sensor in with MHD and turn off the N20 setting from JB4, in your opinion would that be the same affect?

According to the Autel having the same 3.5 on both was showing similar pressure numbers read by the DME. Ill keep logging and sending updates.

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe