N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Default Too cramped after upgraded inlet and outlet tubing - 09-22-2019, 10:46 AM

I installed the VRSF aluminum outlets, and VRSF silicone inlets and now I'm concerned there is too much contact betweens some things in the engine bay.

I had to shove some heat shielding between the silicone Union of the aluminum outlets and the rear turbo manifold. the front aluminum tube is touching the frame. The front aluminum tube is touching the front turbo manifold also.

The front inlet is sitting on top of the coolant connector on the front of the thermostat. The side connector on the thermostat is touching the front turbo outlet.

Is all this contact normal?

Last edited by hidavi; 09-22-2019 at 10:51 AM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Probably better to post some pictures, but eventually all that stuff will rub and create tears and boost leaks in the system.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 09-23-2019, 11:37 AM

I couldn’t get my VRSF outlets fit. VTT ones fit fine.

2007 335i MT, JB4 G5, Hybrid Race BEF, DCI, Inlets, RB 2ís, outlets, 6" AMS FMIC,Chargepipe with Raceport BOV, d_p's, stage 2 lpfp, Mfactory LSD, X-Clutch twin disk.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-26-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidavi
I installed the VRSF aluminum outlets, and VRSF silicone inlets and now I'm concerned there is too much contact betweens some things in the engine bay.

I had to shove some heat shielding between the silicone Union of the aluminum outlets and the rear turbo manifold. the front aluminum tube is touching the frame. The front aluminum tube is touching the front turbo manifold also.

The front inlet is sitting on top of the coolant connector on the front of the thermostat. The side connector on the thermostat is touching the front turbo outlet.

Is all this contact normal?
No it is not normal!
I have PSP outlets (Alu) and they fit perfect with no issues.
The only thing I had to do was to do the heat shielding between the silicone and front and rear alutubing comming from the turboes... That was not included, well some heat tape but didnīt fell like changing the silicone later due to heat issues...
(#5)
Old

Default 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
I couldnít get my VRSF outlets fit. VTT ones fit fine.
Wish I had gotten the VTT ones then...
(#6)
Old

Default 09-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidavi
Wish I had gotten the VTT ones then...
I had to sell my vrsf local. And picked up the VTT. The VTT have a smaller diameter. Fit easy.

2007 335i MT, JB4 G5, Hybrid Race BEF, DCI, Inlets, RB 2ís, outlets, 6" AMS FMIC,Chargepipe with Raceport BOV, d_p's, stage 2 lpfp, Mfactory LSD, X-Clutch twin disk.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 09-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Would be nice to see posted pictures of each setup, so we can all develop an opinion.
I've heard a few times that VRSF inlets don't fit as well, and also heard they fit just fine.

Pictures showing the contrast between could help clarify.
It's my understanding that the rear inlets always suck to install, regardless of vendor.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#8)
Old

Default 09-28-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Would be nice to see posted pictures of each setup, so we can all develop an opinion.
I've heard a few times that VRSF inlets don't fit as well, and also heard they fit just fine.

Pictures showing the contrast between could help clarify.
It's my understanding that the rear inlets always suck to install, regardless of vendor.
I'll take pics today. I put in solid motor mounts at the same time so I'm hoping that with 0 jiggling in there, it's not a problem. My friends intake manifold on his 2jz/350z swap is basically 1mm away from his firewall but has no issues.

This is for drifting FYI not street
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 09-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
..but eventually all that stuff will rub and create tears and boost leaks in the system.

Hi Payam,

Is it fair to say this is for any vendor?
I ask as turbos, inlets and DeePees will be my next purchases.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#10)
Old

Default 09-28-2019, 05:42 PM

turbo outlet tube silcone joint pressed to the frame and the connector on the coolant tank touching the outlet tube:

front turbo inlet pressing down on the coolant tube that goes between the thermostat and the radiator

front turbo inlet pressed against fan shroud and half an inch away from the alternator wheel (looks like its touching other pulley wheels but its also about half an inch from all the pulley wheels). I have the front turbo inlet zip-tied to the charge pipe to keep it from being able to move closer to the wheels

The front turbo inlet pressed against the front turbo manifold, and also the turbo outlet tube mouth that connects to the intercooler touching the frame

I'm hoping that between the solid motor mounts and the solid trans mounts, this engine doesn't move and these things don't rub that much. The steel cage in the cabin also makes the whole car really stiff. Car will only be drifting maybe 12 days a year...

Last edited by hidavi; 09-28-2019 at 05:57 PM..
(#11)
Old

Default 09-29-2019, 11:21 AM

Strange, I had the opposite problem. My front outlet would crank against turbo outlet. The wheel well wall, was in the way.

(#12)
Old

Default 10-30-2019, 10:36 PM

So I did two drift events like this with no issues! The car has wayyy more power and even my drift buddies can tell the car is hauling more ass than ever! I believe the solid motor and trans mounts are keeping everything exactly where it needs to be to avoid issues. I have the front turbo inlet zip tied so that it can't shift into the pulley wheels. I checked it after every few sessions and no rubbing at all. The only thing I broke was my passenger rear axle, which had nothing to do with this :P