N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 3.5 bar vs. 4 bar TMAP sensor? - 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM

I'll be installing inlets this weekend and want to demand the most boost from these stockers as possible.

Is there any difference if I were to order the 4 BAR sensor instead of the 3.5? I see the 4 BAR available on BMS website for $99 as a complete kit.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2016, 10:35 AM

They both do the same thing and the JB4 supports either one. The 4bar is a little better value I think. The 4bar has a wider usable voltage range so the one potential drawback, lower resolution, isn't an issue at all.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
They both do the same thing and the JB4 supports either one. The 4bar is a little better value I think. The 4bar has a wider usable voltage range so the one potential drawback, lower resolution, isn't an issue at all.
If there is no downside to the bigger one, you should see a purchase from me sometime this week.

Thanks!

(#4)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM

TMAP is really not going to benefit you any with stock turbos from my understanding. If you were getting it to eventually upgrade and you were going to push more boost, then I would suggest the 4 BAR due to being cheaper. Most people won't need the 4 bar over the 3.5 from a boost prospective. But it comes back to price point and that's why most people will probably start buying the 4 over the 3.5.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#5)
Old

Default 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54QC
TMAP is really not going to benefit you any with stock turbos from my understanding. If you were getting it to eventually upgrade and you were going to push more boost, then I would suggest the 4 BAR due to being cheaper. Most people won't need the 4 bar over the 3.5 from a boost prospective. But it comes back to price point and that's why most people will probably start buying the 4 over the 3.5.
I'm not looking for benefits. From my understanding, without an upgraded TMAP sensor, you're unable to read or log boost levels above 20psi. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Anyone running 19-20psi or higher should upgrade the TMAP sensor. You want to be able to read at least 2-3psi over your intended target to allow the PID system to properly respond to boost-over shoot.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 02-22-2016, 03:07 PM

Terry,

I'm running MHD e85 flash on map 7 and overboosting to a little over 21psi and have been getting kicked to map 4. We increased BSR to 80, which has helped a little. I'm assuming getting the 3.5 bar TMAP in there can help, too?

2009 135i
DOC Race 6266 Single, VS DW400 LPFP, VRSF Race FMIC, Motiv BoostBox, Tuned by Wedge

Offering Arizona Walnut Blasting Service:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36741
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM

If you are running anywhere near 20psi upgrade the sensor for sure.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 02-22-2016, 05:13 PM

Thanks Terry, will do that right away

2009 135i
DOC Race 6266 Single, VS DW400 LPFP, VRSF Race FMIC, Motiv BoostBox, Tuned by Wedge

(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM

You need the BMS harness too as the plug wont fit the N20 otherwise. Around $34 on the BMS site.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#11)
Old

Default 02-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
You need the BMS harness too as the plug wont fit the N20 otherwise. Around $34 on the BMS site.
Ya, I saw that. Appreciate the heads up. I'm just going to go with the 4bar since it's less expensive and comes all together.

2009 135i

(#12)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 08:08 AM

3.5bar has proven to work well, so that's the safe bet. What's the experience with 4bar so far?
(#13)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
3.5bar has proven to work well, so that's the safe bet. What's the experience with 4bar so far?
Curious of this, as well.

Terry, have you seen any more consistency with one or the other?

2009 135i

(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2016, 10:29 AM

All the JB4 4bar logs I've seen have been solid. Out of around 40 units sold we had one customer with a DOA sensor. Other than that not heard of any JB4 issues.

For flash only guys Tony@Vargas recently posted he was having some problem with it, but his setup is pretty complicated and flash only, so I don't know what his issue was exactly. Could have blown out the sensor or could be some issue specific to his setup. Another flash only customer also reported some random startup code that must be related to his flash tune sensor scaling. I think the flash tuners will need to work with the sensor more to ensure they have the tables & calibrations setup properly.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
All the JB4 4bar logs I've seen have been solid. Out of around 40 units sold we had one customer with a DOA sensor. Other than that not heard of any JB4 issues.

For flash only guys Tony@Vargas recently posted he was having some problem with it, but his setup is pretty complicated and flash only, so I don't know what his issue was exactly. Another flash only customer also reported some random code that must be related to his flash tune. I think the flash tuners will need to work with the sensor more to ensure they have the tables & calibrations setup properly.
Thanks, Terry.

2009 135i

(#16)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 03-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Just a throw in of opinion, for twin turbos, i'd think of 3.5 as a better match since you don't need the range that 4 provides. Technically both work but one is closer to your needs as opposed to 40psi which might be better suited for a single.
(#17)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhiz
Just a throw in of opinion, for twin turbos, i'd think of 3.5 as a better match since you don't need the range that 4 provides. Technically both work but one is closer to your needs as opposed to 40psi which might be better suited for a single.
But I'm running 40psi on my stockers... Jk

I went with the 3.5. Thanks for the input

2009 135i

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhiz
It turns out the resolution between them is very similar as the 4bar goes from .4v to 4.65v, while the 3.5bar goes from .5v to 4.5v. But the 3.5bar is tried and true. Can't go wrong with it.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:

For flash only guys Tony@Vargas recently posted he was having some problem with it, but his setup is pretty complicated and flash only, so I don't know what his issue was exactly. Could have blown out the sensor or could be some issue specific to his setup. Another flash only customer also reported some random startup code that must be related to his flash tune sensor scaling. I think the flash tuners will need to work with the sensor more to ensure they have the tables & calibrations setup properly.
A local N54 friend said Ken didn't want to MHD flash with a 4BAR sensor. Must not be perfected on the flash side of things yet.

(#20)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 03-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
A local N54 friend said Ken didn't want to MHD flash with a 4BAR sensor. Must not be perfected on the flash side of things yet.
PTF said they have no problem flashing with the 4bar w/ MHD fwiw.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#21)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 03-01-2016, 01:40 PM

I'm having issues with mine as well, but as stated its because I'm flash only with Haltech. Sensor works perfectly other than the "intake sensor re-running" code I get at start up. Once I clear it out, the car runs fine and the code doesn't come back up. Ken is supposed to be working on a fix.

10'135i Alpine White M-Sport M/T 827HP 707TQ@32lbs
Motiv 900 - Tial BOV/Wastegate - Big Tom Intercooler - FuelIt! Stage 3+ - MHD Custom Flash - Haltech PS1000 - Motiv Port Injection/Twin Disc - BMS OCC - Kosei - 275/40/17 NT05R's
10'135i Black A/T - 580WHP 540WTQ (11.51@134MPH 2.1 60')
(#22)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgturbo2012
I'm having issues with mine as well, but as stated its because I'm flash only with Haltech. Sensor works perfectly other than the "intake sensor re-running" code I get at start up. Once I clear it out, the car runs fine and the code doesn't come back up. Ken is supposed to be working on a fix.
4bar, correct?

2009 135i

(#23)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 03-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Yes sir.

10'135i Alpine White M-Sport M/T 827HP 707TQ@32lbs
Motiv 900 - Tial BOV/Wastegate - Big Tom Intercooler - FuelIt! Stage 3+ - MHD Custom Flash - Haltech PS1000 - Motiv Port Injection/Twin Disc - BMS OCC - Kosei - 275/40/17 NT05R's
10'135i Black A/T - 580WHP 540WTQ (11.51@134MPH 2.1 60')
(#24)
Old

Default 03-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yes sir.
Thanks

2009 135i

(#25)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 03-05-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Quote:
Issue addresed and resolved http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233606

looking for some testers if you already have the 4bar

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT