N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Default Excessive smoke, wtf...! pcv/rings/seals/turbos...?? - 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM

So as I'm troubleshooting more and more I figured I'd throw up a video to perhaps get some insight from some of you who are way more knowledgeable then me with this engine.. It's an 08' 335i N54 with 75k miles, and the only maintenance I've done is the injectors along with oil/filter about 500 miles ago.. It was initially smoking due to fuel injectors a few weeks ago, so I replaced the injectors and now it's still smoking only it's smoking A LOTTTT more then it previously was, and it's constant from the minute I turn it on until about 10 minutes after I turn it off..!! I'm scared something more sinister is the culprit of this so I haven't let it warm up to see if the smoke dies down but I've left it on for a minute or two and it doesn't seem to slow down any... Mind you, this is after that car has sat for several days, and this is what it does on a cold start.. I took it for a ride two weekends ago and it burned through 1qt of oil in 200 miles..! I'm not losing any coolant and have no oil and/or coolant mixed together.. It also smokes from the oil cap if I open it while it's running..

BMW states that it could "possibly" be OFHG, VCG, Carbon Buildup, Oil Pan Gasket, and Transmission Pan Gasket.. I don't see how the last 3 gaskets could cause this but I got a 2nd opinion from another BMW and they basically agreed with the first dealership.. As I've read more and learned more about this motor I've came across suggestions that it could be Valve Seals, Turbo Seals, or Piston Rings..

Does anyone have a DIY to a compression test/leak down test for the N54..?? Can I just unplug the fuel injectors for the compression test..?? For the leak down test do I have to have the valves at TDC for the cylinder I'm testing, as I've read I do and I've read I don't..

Thanks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql7elshdONA

UPDATE: So I got my car up on jack stands and upon inspection I looked near the v-band clamps on the turbos and it was completely dry.. I'm still gonna remove the DP's to look inside the turbo exhaust housings but I noticed many people whose turbos failed had oil dripping from the v-band clamps.. Also, I noticed oil sprayed underneath the whole bottom of the engine, is the most likely the Oil Pan Gasket..??
Attached Images

Last edited by BeastMode335i; 09-30-2015 at 07:46 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-08-2015, 12:43 PM

Wow that's alot of smoke.

From what I know is seals when they are cold they expand and seal better, so if it was your valves or pistons they would smoke when the car is warming up as the seals shrink and cause blow by, ur smoking at start up after 3 days of sitting.

Same thing goes for turbo bearings. Even with oil inside the ********* it doesn't get instantly hot for it to produce that much smoke within 3 seconds of start up.

Have you ever replaced your pcv valve or valve cover. One is a internal pcv other is a external. I would replace the pcv valve first and see if it helps. These cars are known to have both look good, but be bad

Good luck!

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Fbo with Cpi tuned at e55
Jsr Custom tuned
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 09-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Your lower end is toast.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Wow

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo20032004
Wow that's alot of smoke.

From what I know is seals when they are cold they expand and seal better, so if it was your valves or pistons they would smoke when the car is warming up as the seals shrink and cause blow by, ur smoking at start up after 3 days of sitting.

Same thing goes for turbo bearings. Even with oil inside the ********* it doesn't get instantly hot for it to produce that much smoke within 3 seconds of start up.

Have you ever replaced your pcv valve or valve cover. One is a internal pcv other is a external. I would replace the pcv valve first and see if it helps. These cars are known to have both look good, but be bad

Good luck!
I have not replaced them yet, only removed the external PCV valve and cleaned it, it seemed to allow air in one direction and block it the other direction which is what I thought to be properly working... I was going to buy RB's valve and a new valve cover but is this much smoke on a cold start really consistent with that much smoke..??

Thank you!
(#6)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Your lower end is toast.
That's what appears to have had happened, but it doesn't sound any different then normal and it drives like nothings even wrong with it..?!?!
(#7)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i
That's what appears to have had happened, but it doesn't sound any different then normal and it drives like nothings even wrong with it..?!?!
Mine smoked nothing like that and I had a bent rod. The engine purred like a kitten and still pulled like a raped ape. What index were your old injectors?
(#8)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Here's my thread...
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32981
(#9)
Old

Car: AW 335i
Default 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Did you have the injectors coded after installing them? Whats your AFR at idle?

2008 335i stock
(#10)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Mine smoked nothing like that and I had a bent rod. The engine purred like a kitten and still pulled like a raped ape. What index were your old injectors?
I believe there were five index -6 injectors and one index -9 injector but I'll have to double check when I get home..

And that's so crazy that with such a huge issue it runs as if nothings wrong..!!

Did you have heavy mods when that happened..?? I drive maybe 5-10 miles a day, mostly at 40-50mph, and can count on one hand how many times I've gone WOT in the eight months I've owned it..
(#11)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo
Did you have the injectors coded after installing them? Whats your AFR at idle?
I drove with them uncoded for about a week while waiting on my OSS KDCAN cable to come and then LMB335IS helped me code them in.. The install and coding went fine, along with the Alpina B3 flash we did right after that as well..

Can I read my AFR via INPA or some other software..?? I have an OTG cable as well if need be run from my phone/tablet... I'm unsure what it is but I've read our cars have onboard Wideband so I could pull that info from somewhere I'm sure..
(#12)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 09-08-2015, 01:25 PM

pretty sure that's valve seals.
(#13)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
pretty sure that's valve seals.
Wouldn't it slowly start to dissipate if it were valve seals..??

Also I'd like to add, it was only smoking on cold starts or if it had sat for a little while, then while driving a few weeks ago out of no where it just started billowing smoke while i was cruising on my way home from a road trip..
(#14)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i
Wouldn't it slowly start to dissipate if it were valve seals..??

Also I'd like to add, it was only smoking on cold starts or if it had sat for a little while, then while driving a few weeks ago out of no where it just started billowing smoke while i was cruising on my way home from a road trip..
depends how bad they are I guess, could be a head gasket as well. either oil or coolant is getting into the combustion chamber in order for it to smoke like that right away while cold.

you would hear and feel if the piston rings were gone.

edit*
re read op
(#15)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
depends how bad they are I guess, could be a head gasket as well. either oil or coolant is getting into the combustion chamber in order for it to smoke like that right away while cold.

edit*
re read op
Would a head gasket going bad allow only oil to be getting into the combustion chamber..?? I ask this because I burned through 1qt of oil in less then 200 miles, but my coolant has been the same level for over a month now... Also, would a compression and leak down test show this..??

Thanks!!
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-08-2015, 01:39 PM

I've got a Vac head for sale

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#17)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM

My PCV valve right after I removed it, I cleaned it up some and put it back in since I could hear the little valve inside shaking back and forth and also blew air through one side and was blocked when tried to blow through the opposite end..
Attached Images

(#18)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM

now thats.................

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#19)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ
now thats.................

Yeah exactly my response as well haha..!
(#20)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Compression test the engine and work up from there.

Looks like could be VSS, PCV, Turbos, Engine, Injectors, or maybe all simultaneously.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#21)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM

You need to borrow someones borescope to take a peak inside too. In fact I'd start there. is the occ filled to the top?

2007 335i 4dr JB4, Hexon RR600, Inlets, 4Bar, Index 12, Boost Concept Pump, DCI, FMIC, DP and full exhaust, Burger Meth, MHD BEF. Auto.
(#22)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-08-2015, 06:09 PM

That looks like coolant being burnt to me. Get a leak down compression check on that engine.
(#23)
Old

Car: 335i coupe
Default 09-08-2015, 06:21 PM

Mine originally smoked like that and a compression test didn't show anything. A leakdown test is the most important test. My cylinder 2 was at 20% so blow by was extreme. Check that first

07 335i AT/CUSTOM 6870 GEN2 ST/VAC ENGINE AND STAGE 3 HEAD/FABFACTORY INTAKE W/PI/1000HP AD FMIC/EOS BILLET FUEL SETUP/BL COILS/DUAL OIL COOLERS/RB EXTERNAL PCV/PD TRANY W COOLER/M3 FRONT N REAR SUSPENSION W/ROUGE BEARINGS/HOTCHKIS ADJUSTABLE END LINKS/ADUSTABLE REAR TOE ARMS AND CAMBER LINKS/EIBACH SWAYBARS/BC RACING BR COILOVERS AND CAMBER PLATES/AKG REAR SUBFRAME, DIFF, REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS/POWER FLEX BUSHINGS/WAVETRAC REAR DIFF WITH DEFIV BRACE AND VAC COVER/4IN EXHAUST
(#24)
Old

Default 09-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichale
Mine originally smoked like that and a compression test didn't show anything. A leakdown test is the most important test. My cylinder 2 was at 20% so blow by was extreme. Check that first
Really, wow.. what was your issue, rings..??
(#25)
Old

Car: BMW 335I N54
Default 09-09-2015, 02:14 AM

do you smell fuel?... sure the injectors are proberly installed?...

thats a lot of smoke.. even more than mine.. :-O