N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 535i Xdrive 2011
Default Low boost issue help trouble shoot. JB4 request up to 16psi hit max 9psi - 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help trouble shooting my problem. My car started to drive real bad and having drivetrain malfunction warning every time starting the car and while acceleration. I had a water pump code so my mechanics started by changing this. At first the car was not driving much better (max boos 3.5 psi) after the waterpump but 24 hours later the car was starting to show some boost but not holding it. Now I am not having the malfunction warning unless I do multiple pulls but I did log the car tonight and result is still not satisfying to say the least. I do not have any check engine light but the code that sometime appear is that boost pressure to low.

My car is a 535i xdrive 2011 120k KM (75k miles), only modification is JB4, K&N air intake, ER******** (but I put the catalytic converter back on because I was tired of the noise), axle back exhaust. Tonight pulls were done in MAP 5, 3 times in 3rd gear + one acceleration.

Target boost reach 16 psi but the car fail to deliver anywhere near that.

Any idea were the look for? We have tried to change the boost pressure converter with no success but not sure where else to check (Diverter valve, MAF, boost leak, bad turbo (there was not appearance of shaft play on the hot side )

Please look at my log and help me out!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 191015_2013.csv (30.2 KB, 91 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Looks like a major leak.

Have your pressure tested the system?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-18-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Looks like a major leak.

Have your pressure tested the system?

Dave,

No I have not pressure tested the system yet. My Indy was not equipped for that.
Does a Smoke test good or better to find a shop that is equipped for a pressure test? Maybe I should call my dealer...

Thank for you help and I hope it is "just" a leak and not turbo related!
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Smoke test can usually find most leaks.

Sometimes a boost leak test is “better” some leaks don’t appear until higher psi etc

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Update (still having issues)

Hi guys,

I went to the dealer (in fully stock form) and they cleaned all sensor, changed the boost pressure valve and the diverter valve next to the turbo. After that the car was hitting boost hard but still got the drive train malfunction. I also have done a boost leak test and no leaks found.

Today I did some log and the car hit 22 psi even if the car request stock boost ~10psi (JB4 map 4), WGDC show 0... The issue is not JB4 related because it was removed from the car since last summer.

My car is back to stock except JB4 map 4 for logging only.

Logs are attached.

Codes are:
120208 Boost pressure control. Upper: boost pressure too high
120408 Reduced power mode
122108 BOV plausibility - Ignore, tuner code

Any idea where to look next. Issue with the Wastegate?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 200711_1034.zip (5.4 KB, 54 views)
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-14-2020, 04:39 AM

Can you unzip the file please?

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Car: guess...
Default 07-15-2020, 06:44 AM

That log is confusing. Why is wgdc dead? Why is meth always 100? Looking forward to Daves review...
(#8)
Old

Default 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Can you unzip the file please?

Sorry here it is unzipped!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200711_1034.csv (27.4 KB, 50 views)
(#9)
Old

Car: 2013 E92 335i xDrive
Default 07-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayphil
Sorry here it is unzipped!
This is scary. Really high boost, lean, hpfp very low. I think you have a wastegate issue, causing extreme overboosting. My question is why the JB4 didn't throw you into a safety map.

edit: oh wait, you're already in the safety map.

2013 E92 335i XDrive
JB4, MHD E85 BEF, EOS PI, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, XHP Stage 3, XDelete Sport, 3.5 Bar TMAP, VRSF 7 HD IC, GFB DV+, VRSF D/P, VRSF CP, PE Mod, ST V1 Suspension.
(#10)
Old

Default 07-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews013
This is scary. Really high boost, lean, hpfp very low. I think you have a wastegate issue, causing extreme overboosting. My question is why the JB4 didn't throw you into a safety map.

edit: oh wait, you're already in the safety map.
Yea I have tried map 1 but JB4 was doing its job to put me back right away in map 4. This run was done in map 4 all the time for logging only.

I hope if it is a wastegate issue that it can be resolved without a new turbo... I am actually planning to change this car by the end of the year...
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-15-2020, 01:17 PM

You need to address the hardware issue

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 07-24-2020, 07:59 AM

After a year of troubles all resolved now!

BMW Dealership give it a try to rechange the boost pressure converter under warranty (because they changed it in March), reset all sensor, position / adapdation etc.

The car is running perfectly in Map 0 and Map 1, boost constrol follow targets etc.

What a relief.

Thanks everyone that took time to respond to me in the post.
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-26-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayphil
After a year of troubles all resolved now!

BMW Dealership give it a try to rechange the boost pressure converter under warranty (because they changed it in March), reset all sensor, position / adapdation etc.

The car is running perfectly in Map 0 and Map 1, boost constrol follow targets etc.

What a relief.

Thanks everyone that took time to respond to me in the post.

Burger Motorsports