N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi E90
Exclamation N63 with N20 TMAPs probelms - 04-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Hello all,

I have somewhat of a pickle happening right now. I have upgraded my TMAPs with 3.5bar (N20) and since first start I have issues.

Obviously, I enabled the N20 fonction in the JB4 settings before starting the car.

First start was hellish, got multiple codes for both TMAPs including a short to ground signal, extremely rough idle and engine died... restarted and idle was ok, so I cleared the codes.

Let engine idle for a couple minutes and drove about 10 minutes after that while taking it easy and ramp it up to more throttle. But I get rough acceleration if I push it a bit more than regular driving.

The pickle on top of that is that now, I donít have any boost displayed on my JB4 screen and the u/o boost dial always displays a negative value.

Canít figure out anything about this, need help!

Thanks 🙏

BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
(#2)
Old

Icon1 04-05-2020, 12:58 PM

**UPDATE**

Tried map-1 and map-2 with either same results or worst... Iím now getting very rough acceleration beyond 40% throttle. FML

Log file in attachment (short and not WOT but itís the best I can do in the circumstances)

Really need help on this
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200405_153241_runs(1).csv (6.4 KB, 91 views)

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#3)
Old

Car: 2013 650i
Default 04-07-2020, 05:51 PM

When you say you enabled the N20 function in the JB4, do you mean you set the TMAP to 1 in settings? If not, you need to.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2011 F02 xDrive
Default 04-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINasTER
Hello all,

I have somewhat of a pickle happening right now. I have upgraded my TMAPs with 3.5bar (N20) and since first start I have issues.

Obviously, I enabled the N20 fonction in the JB4 settings before starting the car.

First start was hellish, got multiple codes for both TMAPs including a short to ground signal, extremely rough idle and engine died... restarted and idle was ok, so I cleared the codes.

Let engine idle for a couple minutes and drove about 10 minutes after that while taking it easy and ramp it up to more throttle. But I get rough acceleration if I push it a bit more than regular driving.

The pickle on top of that is that now, I donít have any boost displayed on my JB4 screen and the u/o boost dial always displays a negative value.

Canít figure out anything about this, need help!

Thanks 🙏

Did you install new style harness (harness B) for JB4, or add connector adapters with swapping to 3.5bar? The 3.5bar WILL somehow push into the 3.5bar sensor connector, BUT its' not a correct connection.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2020, 02:43 PM

Photo of 3.5bar TMAP sensor and connections?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy
When you say you enabled the N20 function in the JB4, do you mean you set the TMAP to 1 in settings? If not, you need to.
Yes, Iíve set it to ę*1*Ľ

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#7)
Old

Default 04-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive750
Did you install new style harness (harness B) for JB4, or add connector adapters with swapping to 3.5bar? The 3.5bar WILL somehow push into the 3.5bar sensor connector, BUT its' not a correct connection.
Didnít get the harness, the TMAPs are from amazon and he said I didnít need the adapters

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#8)
Old

Default 04-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Will try to snap a pic later... but since theyíre installed currently, it wonít show much

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM

I wanted to check the part number on the sensor.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 04-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There are no markings on the sensor itself. Seller told me it was legit and at the price I wanted to test it. Compared it to a friend that had a 3.5bar that went bad and they are identical. But it could be some cheap chinese knockoffs.

Either way, Iím uninstalling them tomorrow since I canít really use the car like this, and going back to stock TMAPs for now.

But there coukd be an issue with the jb4 itself since it never ran great and was forced to run map-6 with only 3.5psi over stock if I donít want to get dtmís. Car runs great without the jb4 with no dtmís and no other codes.

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#11)
Old

Default 04-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Went back to oem TMAPs today and the car is back to normal. Pulls hard under map 6 woth 3.5psi but if I ask for 3.6psi or go with map 1 or 2, I have DTMs.

I still think thereís a problem with the jb4 (we talked about it last year but you wouldnít send another unit for me to test). I have no codes whatsoever if I take out the JB4 or if I run it below 3.5psi. Otherwise, I get DTMs.

I donít know why I canít get past the 3.5psi range since mechanically, the car is like new (with actually completely new engine and new transfer case). I should be able to run at least 22-24psi with stock turbos 🤷🏻*♂️

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 04-14-2020, 07:18 PM

If you can't get the jb4 dialed in correctly, then there's no sense stacking another issue on top of that. There has in the past been a lot of knock off 3.5 bar sensors being sold.
(#13)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 04-14-2020, 07:30 PM

Never mind, I read a bunch of treads of nothing but issues with this and your platform. Looks to be that while upping the boost, the drivetrain codes come up, looks like the engine and trans are in disagreement with each other.
(#14)
Old

Default 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Never mind, I read a bunch of treads of nothing but issues with this and your platform. Looks to be that while upping the boost, the drivetrain codes come up, looks like the engine and trans are in disagreement with each other.
And how do we ę*dial it in*Ľ?? Many have the same car, same year and get 24psi of boost with no issues...

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-21-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINasTER
Went back to oem TMAPs today and the car is back to normal. Pulls hard under map 6 woth 3.5psi but if I ask for 3.6psi or go with map 1 or 2, I have DTMs.

I still think thereís a problem with the jb4 (we talked about it last year but you wouldnít send another unit for me to test). I have no codes whatsoever if I take out the JB4 or if I run it below 3.5psi. Otherwise, I get DTMs.

I donít know why I canít get past the 3.5psi range since mechanically, the car is like new (with actually completely new engine and new transfer case). I should be able to run at least 22-24psi with stock turbos 🤷🏻*♂️
We offer limit N63 tuning support because it's such a headache. Read the codes, and then come up with a plan to correct them. Common codes are the MAF sensors needing to be replaced. If misfire then there are a host of possible causes for that separately.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Exclamation 04-25-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
We offer limit N63 tuning support because it's such a headache. Read the codes, and then come up with a plan to correct them. Common codes are the MAF sensors needing to be replaced. If misfire then there are a host of possible causes for that separately.
I have only 2 codes:

180008 Catalytic converter: Efficiency below limit value (not validated)
102302 Air mass flow sensor, operating range: Cycle duration too low, air volume too high

The 180008 is obvious, I have no catalytic converters 🤷🏻*♂️

The air mass flow one I have no idea (this caused a DTM while I was at ~80% throttle)... The small log I have showed really high trims (above 40-45). That was on map 2! I have some 3.5bar sensors but need to order some connection kits because I have the deeaded type connector and I was told that it doesnít work properly without it 🤷🏻*♂️

On map 1, the app shows the o/u bosst always at -4 and the 2 boost dials donít show anything even at full throttle. I have to run map 6 at 3.5psi to have a relatively stable tune. Even at 3.6psi, I get DTMs with map 6...

With all the police around on the roads, itís practically impossible to do a wot 3rd gear pull, so donít ask!

I really have the impression that I paid 900$ for something that is only partially working.

Does anyone have any idea to help me?

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#17)
Old

Default 04-25-2020, 05:05 PM

Here is the small log I have
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200425_171946_runs(1).csv (9.2 KB, 85 views)

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#18)
Old

Default 04-30-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
So, do you have any idea?
Or should I change the JB4?

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-01-2020, 10:40 AM

I'm not able to keep up with every thread these days. If you need individual support just email us. Scanned back a few posts for photos I had asked for and didn't see them.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not able to keep up with every thread these days. If you need individual support just email us. Scanned back a few posts for photos I had asked for and didn't see them.
I replied to you for the pics, itís useless since thereís no part number on them

JB4 stage 2
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels