N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#701)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 02-21-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-800
I have to agree here tegxsi..........the no boost isn't occurring as often i've noticed, but i don't know if the 150 ferrite clamps are helping
LOL With so many ferrite clamps, you basically shielded the wires. I don't think the ferrite clamps made a noticeable difference for me.

I turned on the ignition started logging immediately this morning. I didn't any wacky boost gauge activity. I'll keep trying. It wasn't as cold today...

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#702)
Old

Default 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM

So, I'm not getting any activity on Boost and Boost2 when the dash boost gauge is bouncing but I notice the ECU_PSI is randomly displaying 6.3 or 6.5 under light throttle sometimes.
I had an instance when ECU_PSI was stuck at 6.5 and the car felt like it was decelerating. AFR is goes lean. I had to jab the gas pedal to make it go back to normal.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200226_055305_runs(1).csv (30.3 KB, 73 views)

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#703)
Old

Default 02-26-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Weird....

I checked some of my logs and at around 6.5-8 ECU_PSI the AFR is 13.5-14
I was not trying to get into boost. I was just cruising through some highway traffic.
I don't know if this is related to the no boost condition or is it just my car?

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#704)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegxsi
I was not trying to get into boost. I was just cruising through some highway traffic.
I don't know if this is related to the no boost condition or is it just my car?
Sound like its something else is at play. Do you see the boost gauge move up and down ever at idle?

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#705)
Old

Default 02-26-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Sound like its something else is at play. Do you see the boost gauge move up and down ever at idle?
Yes, at idle and I've seen it with the ignition on, engine off.

Whenever I feel slight hesitation while driving, I look down at the boost and I see it moving. I look over at the JB4 app and see random 6.3 or 6.5 for ECU_PSI.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#706)
Old
Legend

Default 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, at idle and I've seen it with the ignition on, engine off.

Whenever I feel slight hesitation while driving, I look down at the boost and I see it moving. I look over at the JB4 app and see random 6.3 or 6.5 for ECU_PSI.
Drop me a email at george@burgertuning.com

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#707)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-29-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yesterday was the worst day for the no boost issue i've ever seen

At one point on the motorway it just didn't want to know at all and nothing i did with the pedal would sort it.........
Sounds like a different issue then. Maybe you were in a limp mode?

We don't have any harness extensions but usually with these things the longer the harness the more room for electrical interference to sneak in.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#708)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-29-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
LOL With so many ferrite clamps, you basically shielded the wires. I don't think the ferrite clamps made a noticeable difference for me.

I turned on the ignition started logging immediately this morning. I didn't any wacky boost gauge activity. I'll keep trying. It wasn't as cold today...
If it's temperature related that might indicate an issue with the IAT portion of the sensor signal rather than the boost portion of the sensor signal I've been working on. But if it was IAT I'd expect to see IAT in logs wobble around...

I wonder if the 2020 USA cars also went back to analog sensors. Been working remotely with an over-seas customer on 2020 tuning using our analog JB4 system.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#709)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 03-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Your attitude isnít helping is it ?

Iíve offered to work with people on this tried Christ knows how many different things and nothing works.

Offered to try things only to be told itís Ďprobablyí not that

Then to be told when I have loads of no boost issue in the same day itís another issue ? Strange how the car is fine when the JB4 isnít connected
Sorry, no attitude here. Just trying to give people a different perspective than that of entitlement. This is a BETA product with no promises of 100% bug-free functionality. We all know that going into it and trust me, BMS is trying their best to figure this out.

BMS has, in my opinion, the highest level of responsiveness and customer service. Try buying something from APR and having an issue with their product. I could write a whole page on what I'm still going through with their BS. Never again with APR.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#710)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 10:39 AM

Guys let's try to keep the discussion constructive or we'll have to go through and purge posts.

Burger Motorsports

(#711)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Nope no limp mode scanned the car when I got back.

Strange you say extending the harness would cause more issues when there’s already a guy in China who has done exactly this and reports no more issues.
The nature of the bug is that boost drops out for a moment and comes back after letting off the gas for a second or two. Not making any boost at all is certainly a different sort of issue so would need to be diagnosed as to the cause.

In theory you could try a DB25 extension cable. The wires might not carry enough current for the BCM to operate properly but could always unplug the BCM connections just to see if it has any effect. If that somehow fixed the issue we'd be happy to produce longer harnesses.

Burger Motorsports

(#712)
Old
Demigod

Default 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The nature of the bug is that boost drops out for a moment and comes back after letting off the gas for a second or two. Not making any boost at all is certainly a different sort of issue so would need to be diagnosed as to the cause.

In theory you could try a DB25 extension cable. The wires might not carry enough current for the BCM to operate properly but could always unplug the BCM connections just to see if it has any effect. If that somehow fixed the issue we'd be happy to produce longer harnesses.
I might want to try this. Where would be the best place to go through the firewall with that large of a connector?

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#713)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Honestly no idea, not poked around enough. If anything I'd rig it in a temporary way just to see if it makes any difference. Like in the window and on your lap lol.

That reminds me, for those who can easily recreate the issue, the issue still comes up if you run without the bluetooth adapter?

Burger Motorsports

(#714)
Old
Demigod

Default 03-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Apologies itís not my intention to offend anyone.

(#715)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I didn’t mean it wasn’t making no boost at all Terry.

I meant it was making the usual tiny amount of boost I get now and again when putting my foot down.
This for me is usually sorted by letting off the pedal then pressing it again and normal boost is resumed.
What happened the other day was no amount of pedal on/off could make the boost go higher on the gauge than the quarter mark.

I took the JB4 off for a day to rule anything else out and the car performs normally without it on.
Yes I'm sure it's tuning related just maybe a different bug. Some other guy mentioned a bug in this thread with very cold intake temps. Capture a log of the event by chance?

On the extension harnesses they also won't fit fully inside the enclosure so you'd have to rig it just for quick testing purpose by maybe zip-ting the two halfs of the enclosure "closed" around it. If it looks promising we can make extensions that would fit.

This one at least lists the wire gauge at 24 gauge which might be better than the super cheap one I first found on amazon. And it's on prime so easy returns.

https://www.amazon.com/Amphenol-CS-D...1BZJKNVW4MNZGS

Burger Motorsports

(#716)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Might be pointless for me as I have the separate boost module so no way of moving that unless wires are cut.
The BCM does not seem to have any effect on this issue so it can just be unplugged while testing.

Burger Motorsports

(#717)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Harness is long enough on the TTRS that I was able to tape the JB4 to the windshield in, will test tomorrow to see if I can recreate the issue.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#718)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Before spending too much time I'd try taping it to the window like I did for a quick test.

Burger Motorsports

(#719)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2020, 04:27 PM

How far away can you get it? TTRS just must have a smaller engine bay. Also wondering if RHD somehow plays a role in you seeing the issue so much more than other customers have.

Burger Motorsports

(#720)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Something else I could use a test on if someone is able to trigger the code frequently. Revert the brown manifold patch only to factory, leaving the TMAP rainbow patch only (the one the JB4 powers off), and in this trim you can run map0 or map1. Running higher maps map cause headaches to just keep on those two for the test.

On the EMI front the alum enclosure did not provide the signal stopping strength we expected so I'm testing out Faraday bags now to test the concept. If that works we'll see if we can come up with a better EMI blocking enclosure design.

Burger Motorsports

(#721)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 03-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Something else I could use a test on if someone is able to trigger the code frequently. Revert the brown manifold patch only to factory, leaving the TMAP rainbow patch only (the one the JB4 powers off), and in this trim you can run map0 or map1. Running higher maps map cause headaches to just keep on those two for the test.

On the EMI front the alum enclosure did not provide the signal stopping strength we expected so I'm testing out Faraday bags now to test the concept. If that works we'll see if we can come up with a better EMI blocking enclosure design.
I can help with this, however I have to be honest, with ~20 magnets clipped on and warmer temps during the day, I haven't had the issue in 6 days (and I've been driving a lot, too!)

I'll remove the magnets and put myself in map 1 and see what I can do. should cool down this weekend.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of ďsensible-nessĒ
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#722)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-05-2020, 01:56 PM

If you are not triggering it daily then won't be a useful test, just keep rolling as is.

We'll save that test for someone who is triggering it daily.

Burger Motorsports

(#723)
Old

Default 03-06-2020, 06:19 AM

Is that the ABS pump? Isn't it bad to place the JB4 there?

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#724)
Old
Legend

Default 03-07-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Indeed it is........

No problem so far.

I was told the Led headlamp can interfere with electronics too, which was where mine was situated.
Did you ever have it lodged between ECU and airbox? Thats where I had mine and only had the issue twice ever.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#725)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 3.3
Default Spark Plugs - 03-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Hi Terry -

Just traded my Stinger for a new RS3. Had the JB4 on my Stinger and loved it!

Looking at getting the JB4 for the RS3 and curious, are the stock plugs good with the JB4 or do I need to go a step colder like the Stinger? It seems the stock NGKs are worth their weight in gold, do the Denso IKH series plugs work okay with the RS3?

Thanks,
Scott