N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Stinger GT2 AWD
Default Power pulsates at WOT, not smooth at all! - 05-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Hi all, I'm brand new to these forums and this is my first post. I bought a JB4 for my Stinger GT2 AWD last fall but just now finally took the time to install it. Wasn't much point over the winter here in CNY. Here is a brief history and what I've done to the car to make this easier to troubleshoot.

Mods:
K&N Intake
Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH Ram Air
HKS M45iL Spark Plugs (factory gap at .028)
ARK GRiP Catback Exhaust System
Jun Bl ********* (No Felines)
RaceChip XLR Throttle Response Controller
Oil Catch Cans

Prior to running the JB4 I was running a Lap3 Uncle chip that I had installed on my Optima SX. I always run 93 octane and have it set to the 93 setting. With the Lap3 I had 0 issues and I've had it installed now for over 9 months.

I decided I wanted the JB4 because of the built in safety features and the potential to add WMI later. With the fuel wires it should gain some HP over the Lap3 as well. I also liked the idea of changing maps from my phone. My friend had a JB4 in his BMW and loved it so I figured why not.

I just installed today with the fuel wires. Easy install, very straight forward.
In Map 1 I don't have too many issues, but at WOT I do notice a little bit of breakup, it's not as smooth as the Lap3 was. It still gets up and goes but there are areas where I can feel the power drop and pickup again.

In Map 2 it's completely unusable. The power cycles up and down the entire RPM band in every gear. It feels like I'm pressing and letting off the throttle in quick succession as soon as the boost kicks in.

Things I've tried:
Octane booster (I'm guessing it's maybe 95 octane max now)
Disabled the Throttle controller
Flashed firmware 8 to it as soon as I installed the unit
Flashed firmware 9 after I noticed it not being smooth, didn't expect a change and didn't get one.
Disabled the fuel wires in the settings
Double checked all my connections, everything looks good

One thing I have to mention. I installed some cork screw inserts into my exhaust right after the ********* that are designed to eliminate drone. They work pretty well, but they also create a whistling sound so they are coming out. I did notice a little power loss after installing them. I suspect it might be these, but at the same time the Lap3 has always been super smooth with no problems ever. I suspect the inserts are causing too much back pressure, it's getting an overboost signal and cutting boost, then it ramps back up and cuts it again over and over. I have the boost safety pressure set to 20 and it never gets near that though. Normal driving is not affected, the car idles and runs normally. It's ONLY under WOT. No CEL's have come on, no codes in the history.

I've included a log using Map 2. The first thing I noticed was IGN1 is way different than IGN2-6 which seems like it would be bad. Possibly a bad plug or too wide a gap? You can see the boost fluctuate as well.

I will be reinstalling the Lap3 to see if it's still smooth.

Please help, any input is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: csv St1nger Guy 2019-05-04 17_41_33_Map-2.csv (4.6 KB, 108 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 05-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1nger Guy
Hi all, I'm brand new to these forums and this is my first post. I bought a JB4 for my Stinger GT2 AWD last fall but just now finally took the time to install it. Wasn't much point over the winter here in CNY. Here is a brief history and what I've done to the car to make this easier to troubleshoot.

Mods:
K&N Intake
Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH Ram Air
HKS M45iL Spark Plugs (factory gap at .028)
ARK GRiP Catback Exhaust System
Jun Bl ********* (No Felines)
RaceChip XLR Throttle Response Controller
Oil Catch Cans

Prior to running the JB4 I was running a Lap3 Uncle chip that I had installed on my Optima SX. I always run 93 octane and have it set to the 93 setting. With the Lap3 I had 0 issues and I've had it installed now for over 9 months.

I decided I wanted the JB4 because of the built in safety features and the potential to add WMI later. With the fuel wires it should gain some HP over the Lap3 as well. I also liked the idea of changing maps from my phone. My friend had a JB4 in his BMW and loved it so I figured why not.

I just installed today with the fuel wires. Easy install, very straight forward.
In Map 1 I don't have too many issues, but at WOT I do notice a little bit of breakup, it's not as smooth as the Lap3 was. It still gets up and goes but there are areas where I can feel the power drop and pickup again.

In Map 2 it's completely unusable. The power cycles up and down the entire RPM band in every gear. It feels like I'm pressing and letting off the throttle in quick succession as soon as the boost kicks in.

Things I've tried:
Octane booster (I'm guessing it's maybe 95 octane max now)
Disabled the Throttle controller
Flashed firmware 8 to it as soon as I installed the unit
Flashed firmware 9 after I noticed it not being smooth, didn't expect a change and didn't get one.
Disabled the fuel wires in the settings
Double checked all my connections, everything looks good

One thing I have to mention. I installed some cork screw inserts into my exhaust right after the ********* that are designed to eliminate drone. They work pretty well, but they also create a whistling sound so they are coming out. I did notice a little power loss after installing them. I suspect it might be these, but at the same time the Lap3 has always been super smooth with no problems ever. I suspect the inserts are causing too much back pressure, it's getting an overboost signal and cutting boost, then it ramps back up and cuts it again over and over. I have the boost safety pressure set to 20 and it never gets near that though. Normal driving is not affected, the car idles and runs normally. It's ONLY under WOT. No CEL's have come on, no codes in the history.

I've included a log using Map 2. The first thing I noticed was IGN1 is way different than IGN2-6 which seems like it would be bad. Possibly a bad plug or too wide a gap? You can see the boost fluctuate as well.

I will be reinstalling the Lap3 to see if it's still smooth.

Please help, any input is appreciated!
This is funny. Mine did this for the first time a few days ago. I just replaced my blow off valves, have you done anything to yours?

I got rear ended shortly after, so mine is going to be in the shop for a while. But it was strange.
(#3)
Old

Default 05-06-2019, 07:29 AM

I haven't done anything with the bovs yet, they are the factory diverter valves and vent back into my k&n intakes. I did reinstall the Lap3 yesterday and as expected, it accelerates totally smooth again. I will try the JB4 again once I remove the inserts in the exhaust and see if that does anything. This doesn't seem like a widespread problem and those inserts are the only thing different on my car vs others so it would make sense they could be the issues.

Is anyone else running ******* **'s? That was another possible difference that could cause some problems. I noticed big torque gains by switching to these though so I will not be going back to stock. If these are what is causing the JB4 to have issues, I will probably need a custom map to fix it. I wish there were maps where you could pick your bolt on mods and it would adjust accordingly.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Log is too short to see much but ign is fine.

For starters set map6 all to 3psi and log map6, so we can evaluate that. For logs try to get longer full throttle runs.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 05-06-2019, 12:07 PM

I will do that tonight. Thanks for your feedback. I'll do a full pull on map 1 2 and 6. With the engine pulsing like it does in map 2 will it hurt anything doing a full 0 to 80 run? It feels pretty sketchy.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM

No sounds like it's just WGDC oscillation from your description.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM

Here are 2 logs in Map 2 and 2 in Map 6. Interestingly enough, it performed much better this time. I did try Map 6 before and it was slow and sluggish like I was only like 50% of stock boost pressure. Today in Map 6 it took off like a rocket. Very little pulsation in both maps. I'm starting to wonder if maybe traction control was kicking on although I have AWD so I can't imagine I was breaking the tires loose. It does squeal them with launch control which it didn't do before.

Thanks for helping me figure this out
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-06 18_17_40_Map-2.csv (8.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: csv 2019-05-06 18_19_48_Map-2.csv (8.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: csv 2019-05-06 18_21_01_Map-6.csv (6.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: csv 2019-05-06 18_22_16_Map-6.csv (10.6 KB, 99 views)
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM

For map6 to work as I intended you need to change all values on the user adjustment page under map6 boost to 3.0psi, and save the settings.

I see fuel control is also off you can turn that back on now.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM

Here is a decent run I did this morning after adjusting the boost to 3 for all RPM's and I turned on the fuel rails. It feels decently smooth, but still not perfect.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-07 07_52_55_Map-6.csv (8.9 KB, 98 views)
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Fuel control is turned off here. Turn bit 0 off to enable it again.

I don't see much boost oscillation. Are you sure you're going 100% pedal? Log shows 80%?

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 05-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Here are 2 runs 0-100, one with LC and one without. I made sure the pedal was 100% down this time and all settings should be where they need to be. I did not notice any hesitation or stuttering on either of these runs. I'll do another Map 2 run next time I'm in the car to see if that is now smooth as well.

Interesting that the run with the 4.625 0-60 was without LC. When I let off the brake using LC the wheels started to spin and then it took off so I'm assuming that may be why the 0-60 time is so much different.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-08 17_13_28_Map-6.csv (10.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: csv 2019-05-08 17_15_24_Map-6.csv (10.7 KB, 105 views)
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Yes do, logs look all clean here to me.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 05-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Here is a Map2 Pull 0-100 using LC. Did not feel the pulsations this time like I had originally.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-09 12_09_16_Map-2.csv (10.4 KB, 105 views)
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-31-2019, 06:06 PM

If issue comes back email me, working on a possible fix for those few cars effected.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 06-01-2019, 08:52 AM

I purchased a Tial BOV and adapter from BMS and after getting the right vacuum lines it has definitely helped performance. I think the factory diverter valves were leaking under heavy boost. I also think when I first installed the JB4 I may have not had good gas because no issues since and I haven't added any octane booster. BMS WMI kit is next