N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1801)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 03-11-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyoon
I see. Should I be concerned at all about the timing drops?

Also the knocks (on two occasions) were heard toward the beginning of a strong acceleration right before the boost was really kicking in. Interestingly enough, the knocks weren't the typical "ticking" noises, but sounded more like someone knocking on a metal door, two knocks in one second (if I were to describe the frequency).

Do you by any chance (or anyone on this forum) have any idea what this might be? I'm thinking it might not be the typical engine knocks from predetonation.

Thank you again for reviewing, Terry.
I used to get knock when I first got my jb4 before doing E85 mixtures with crap Canadian gas. I would get knock in 1st and 2nd gear mostly when mashing the gas when boost climbed quickly. It was almost like the computer could not pull timing fast enough. It would make one or two metal tick sounds.
(#1802)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I see. Should I be concerned at all about the timing drops?

Also the knocks (on two occasions) were heard toward the beginning of a strong acceleration right before the boost was really kicking in. Interestingly enough, the knocks weren't the typical "ticking" noises, but sounded more like someone knocking on a metal door, two knocks in one second (if I were to describe the frequency).

Do you by any chance (or anyone on this forum) have any idea what this might be? I'm thinking it might not be the typical engine knocks from predetonation.

Thank you again for reviewing, Terry.
On pump fuel there is always going to be some timing movement be design as it's a dynamic system. If you have a noise you think might be knock that isn't really showing up in the data then the best way to test it is to increase the octane. If the noise goes away then it's probably some form of early knock.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1803)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0L
Default 03-11-2019, 09:10 AM

I see. Thank you so much once again. Loving the JB4 even at map 1 so far!
(#1804)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Hello Terry

My car is a Stinger GT RWD and I have the JB4 (love the product) with fuel wires and WMI kit using 83% ethanol, the rest is stock besides HKS plugs.

Here is a log from a rolling race from 2nd gear @ 60kph (private road). I actually lost by about two car lengths vs. a G70 RWD using a L*P3 tuner with full exhaust and primary ca_t delete but no meth.

Is there something I can do to get faster, maybe in terms of settings or shift timings?

I am using the latest firmware and my current settings are:
- Boost additive 67
- Signal scaling 90
- Min flow boost 7.0
Attached Files
File Type: csv 0_2019-03-09 01_57_31_Map-8.csv (15.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by atr1; 03-12-2019 at 04:22 PM..
(#1805)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3T
Default 03-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Hello Terry. Hope all is well. Finally got all setup. I ran a couple of Logs...no clue if I did it correctly.

Running Map 2...without the Fuel Wires. One thing at a time

I had to manually hit the Start Logging...then the Stop Logging. I was trying to find how the App does auto logging, etc.

I have attached my 2 logs. Once is a rolling start...other is WOT from a stand still.

I hope I did this right.

Thank you advance for any insight.

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport
(#1806)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger Gt1
Default 03-12-2019, 11:22 AM

alright few things
1. Saw a post regarding a stinger that had hit 500whp on stock turbo with a jb4/FBO/custom tune.... Being that there seems to be no one on the market yet that sells flash tunes for these cars how did that happen?
2. Is there any new firmwares coming out soon/near future? Been running v8 for quiet some time, and just curious if anything is in the works,
3. If this stinger hit 500whp and the pure turbo upgrade only hit 520ish whp, where's the problem at? That doesn't seem right that a stinger with FBO is reallllllly close to a stuffed turbo stinger, anybody feel free to answer any of these.

Thanks

- Mike
(#1807)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer
Hello Terry. Hope all is well. Finally got all setup. I ran a couple of Logs...no clue if I did it correctly.

Running Map 2...without the Fuel Wires. One thing at a time

I had to manually hit the Start Logging...then the Stop Logging. I was trying to find how the App does auto logging, etc.

I have attached my 2 logs. Once is a rolling start...other is WOT from a stand still.

I hope I did this right.

Thank you advance for any insight.
Logs look fine to me! Auto logging is a setting in the app under logging options.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1808)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry96
alright few things
1. Saw a post regarding a stinger that had hit 500whp on stock turbo with a jb4/FBO/custom tune.... Being that there seems to be no one on the market yet that sells flash tunes for these cars how did that happen?
2. Is there any new firmwares coming out soon/near future? Been running v8 for quiet some time, and just curious if anything is in the works,
3. If this stinger hit 500whp and the pure turbo upgrade only hit 520ish whp, where's the problem at? That doesn't seem right that a stinger with FBO is reallllllly close to a stuffed turbo stinger, anybody feel free to answer any of these.

Thanks

- Mike
We're always kicking around updates but nothing to share yet, v8 remains the latest.

The Pure Hybrid Turbos we expect to hit around 575whp once they can be properly tuned with a back end flash map. Maybe more?

Burger Motorsports

(#1809)
Old

Default 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Logs look fine to me! Auto logging is a setting in the app under logging options.
Thank you sir.

I did find it. I have it to start at 70% throttle...and it stops 5 seconds after I go below 70%. I just took the defaults. I assume that is adequate for auto-logging.

I did notice something. When I click on my 1st log...there is a little pop with my best 0-60. Do you know how this works? Is it based on the logs (throttle at 70% start, etc)...or does it calculate true 0-60?

I see 4.275 sec. If that is accurate...I need to do a Launch Control to better that. Also need to do the Fuel Wires I suppose.

Map 3 requires something better than 93 octane...so I think I am stuck on Map 2.

(#1810)
Old

Car: Genesis G80 Sport
Default 03-12-2019, 12:43 PM

G80 sport here... I installed fuel wires today and did some pulls on Map 2, starting ~2500 RPM at 3rd. gear. Can you guys check if it looks ok? thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 14_01_19_Map-2.csv (41.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 14_02_50_Map-2.csv (43.4 KB, 78 views)
(#1811)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareckibmw
G80 sport here... I installed fuel wires today and did some pulls on Map 2, starting ~2500 RPM at 3rd. gear. Can you guys check if it looks ok? thanks.
Looks great! Next stop map3.

Burger Motorsports

(#1812)
Old

Default 03-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Terry...can you run Map 3 on just 93 octane? I thought you have to start getting into fancy fuel and stuff.

Quote:
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.

(#1813)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Your timing looks great on map2 so let's evaluate it. Not all 93 octane performs the same.

Burger Motorsports

(#1814)
Old

Default 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Your timing looks great on map2 so let's evaluate it. Not all 93 octane performs the same.
Hey Terry...more data for you.

I did 3 runs in Map 3. Rolling...WOT off the start...Launch Control.
Honestly...I think Map 3 felt slower...something was off.

I am attaching a 4th file which is me going back to Map 2...and I did one final WOT off the start (no Launch Control). I got the best time via the app...it states 4.125 sec. Wondering if the car is adapting and getting quicker...LOL. Or the app is not that accurate. First time I did it tank was empty (4.250 sec)...this time tank was full (4.125 sec).

Anyhoo...thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 17_50_56 Map-3_rolling.csv (7.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 17_54_14 Map-3_wot.csv (8.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 17_52_07 Map-3_LC.csv (9.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 18_03_36 Map-2_wot.csv (8.5 KB, 82 views)

(#1815)
Old

Car: Genesis G80 Sport
Default 03-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Looks great! Next stop map3.

Thanks! I'll run more tests tomorrow with Map 3 and (maybe) E85 mixture, lol
(#1816)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Terry,
any opinion/suggestion regarding the log I attached above?

PS: The attached file showed incorrectly so I reuploaded it.

Last edited by atr1; 03-12-2019 at 04:23 PM..
(#1817)
Old

Default 03-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
On pump fuel there is always going to be some timing movement be design as it's a dynamic system. If you have a noise you think might be knock that isn't really showing up in the data then the best way to test it is to increase the octane. If the noise goes away then it's probably some form of early knock.
Hi again Terry,

I took my car on couple test runs, and I think I definitely hear engine knocking (metal rattling sound) at the beginning of strong acceleration on Map 2 with 91 Octane.

On Map 1 with 91 Octane, I hear the same sound occasionally.

Do you mind reviewing the attached logs for me one more time? I'm getting a bit worried my car (2.0L) is having trouble withstanding additional boost.

Thank you so much once again!

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 22_49_09_Map-1.csv (252.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 22_36_44_Map-2.csv (4.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 22_36_21_Map-2.csv (5.3 KB, 78 views)
(#1818)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Reinstalled my exhaust, intakes, and WMI system. Car is back in peak form.

@Terry, can you take a look at this pull and let me know if it looks good?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-12 23_07_41_Map-8.csv (6.9 KB, 82 views)
(#1819)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hi again Terry,

I took my car on couple test runs, and I think I definitely hear engine knocking (metal rattling sound) at the beginning of strong acceleration on Map 2 with 91 Octane.

On Map 1 with 91 Octane, I hear the same sound occasionally.

Do you mind reviewing the attached logs for me one more time? I'm getting a bit worried my car (2.0L) is having trouble withstanding additional boost.

Thank you so much once again!

Chris
I can't see anything conclusive, but you can use map6 and enter 2.0 across the board, for a lower than map1 level to evaluate until you're able to increase octane as a test.

Burger Motorsports

(#1820)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I am attaching a 4th file which is me going back to Map 2...and I did one final WOT off the start (no Launch Control). I got the best time via the app...it states 4.125 sec. Wondering if the car is adapting and getting quicker...LOL. Or the app is not that accurate. First time I did it tank was empty (4.250 sec)...this time tank was full (4.125 sec).

Anyhoo...thank you.
Hey Terry...not sure if you missed this. I did not reattach the data...it's on up above.

(#1821)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Anyhoo...thank you.
Boost is lower than expected in 2nd gear, maybe DV unable to hold the higher boost levels? Anyway if map2 is working better than roll with that.

Burger Motorsports

(#1822)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sym
Reinstalled my exhaust, intakes, and WMI system. Car is back in peak form.

@Terry, can you take a look at this pull and let me know if it looks good?
Seems fine to me!
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1823)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I can't see anything conclusive, but you can use map6 and enter 2.0 across the board, for a lower than map1 level to evaluate until you're able to increase octane as a test.
I see. Thank you Terry. How about this adjustment? Is this too adventurous?
Attached Images

(#1824)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 08:33 PM

It's a test so I'd start with 1psi across the board, or 2psi across the board, and then that boost profile will be active on map6.

Burger Motorsports

(#1825)
Old

Default 03-14-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
It's a test so I'd start with 1psi across the board, or 2psi across the board, and then that boost profile will be active on map6.
Right. I'm just preparing for the scenario where I'm just using 91 Octane (since that's the only premium fuel sold in California).

So do you recommend that I start with 1-2 psi across the board and inch up to where I stop hearing the "knocking/pinging" noise heard right before full throttle from a low RPM? I'd love some guidance on how I can maximize the JB4 upgrade on 91 octane fuel (without the fuel wire). And that's the reason from my user setting starting at 3.5 psi above stock tapering to 2.5 psi, in a way underclocking your Map 1 setting (4.0 psi boost tapering to 2.5 psi) by keeping it under 4.0 psi.

Thank you again.