N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#501)
Old

Car: 135i 6MT
Default 08-19-2015, 05:27 AM

From your other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The point of the post was to clearly illustrate that 2" is far from ideal.

Obviously it can be pulled into position, but not without having to "give" in areas… and if you believe it will not give and the engine block and firewall will instead we are not here to convince you otherwise.

We have the right to disclaim components at will that we do not feel meet sound engineering design standards. This certainly qualifies as one of those situations, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba114
So the standard OEM intakes are approved for usage on your turbos, which are more restrictive. Yet any other offering that is less restrictive, but may compress are not approved for usage?
Quote:
The OEM units maybe restrictive but they have flow uniformity. Use of the OEM inlets is AOK and has been for 6 years.
So given that you are conceding that these inlets also have a "squish" area thus using your own words, do not meet sound engineering standards & will also create unnecessary turbulance in the intake, you must not approve of your own inlets in the same manner that you cannot "approve" the use of VTT inlets with your turbos.

You are a hypocrite! Double standards much?
Either approve them both, or neither.
(#502)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 08-19-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath
Few questions Rob:
What thickness will the silicon be?
Do they have some sought of reinforcement like wire embedded?
Will they have the RB logo printed on at least the front pipe?
Do you need to remove ********/********* to install the rear inlet/clamp? Im RHD also, steering colum obviously makes things a bit more tricky?
Wall thickness- 6mm
Wire reinforcement- Yes
RB Logo- If so will be in locations not visible once installed
RHD compatibility- Yes, zero interference as these do not run in the columns steering location
Install methods- numerous

Quote:
From your other thread:

So given that you are conceding that these inlets also have a "squish" area thus using your own words, do not meet sound engineering standards & will also create unnecessary turbulance in the intake, you must not approve of your own inlets in the same manner that you cannot "approve" the use of VTT inlets with your turbos.

You are a hypocrite! Double standards much?
Either approve them both, or neither.
Thanks for your constructive criticism and sound logic. By this notion, squish is squish. So for if example you have 1mm squish you may as well have 20mm squish, as the distortion is all the same. Appreciate the kind words.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#503)
Old

Car: 2008 535xiT
Default 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM

Will the 5 series guys have confirmation of fitment before payment is required?

Are you concerned about "the squish" at the firewall and engine movement, wearing the silicon down over time?

2014 328i xDrive Msport
(#504)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay77
Will the 5 series guys have confirmation of fitment before payment is required?

Are you concerned about "the squish" at the firewall and engine movement, wearing the silicon down over time?
We will work out something that logistically makes sense for the 5 series guys when ready. Most likely we will be looking for someone willing to take a risk to install for some incentive. If anyone fits that bill shoot us an email as soon as we get a sample we are ready to order, which is our #1 priority at the moment. This is why the 5 series guys are on a separate list right now, as they are in a "holding pattern" pending outcomes. We certainly are not looking to take 5 series guys funds with the uncertainty we have already disclosed.

Another reason to avoid overly squish is excess wear over time, however, we do believe that this hose is not going to easily fail in that regard. You'll see what I mean when or if you hold it eventually. It is some very thick tough stuff. But well agree that it is yet another reason to ensure the best possible fitment. The picture provided a bit earlier shows just how well ours fits through that tight "squish" area with very little compromise, even at the smaller diameter we have chosen.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#505)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-19-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Added.

While we are idly awaiting the front inlet tube I decided to take a picture of our rear inlet through what we have referred to the as the "squish area". As you can see via the picture even the 1.75" ID hose is still somewhat of an interference fit, but it appears that the "squish" (that still exists) is minimal. Of course the larger the hose, the worse this will be.

This is with the following mods (to reduce squish):
1) Rear OEM inlet support bracket removed.
2) Firewall heat shielding pried back to provide a bit more clearance.

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob

Wouldn't it make sense not to have any squish at all, I mean is it not possible to send the rear hose back as well and have the issue fixed before the orders are shipped out to us?
(#506)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-19-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell
Hi Rob

Wouldn't it make sense not to have any squish at all, I mean is it not possible to send the rear hose back as well and have the issue fixed before the orders are shipped out to us?
The only way to "fix" this is reduce yet again the size of the hose. We feel we are at a good compromise with the size we have chosen, and the picture is very telling of why that is...

We have disclosed very clearly what we are offering here and have shown pictures showing the fitment and we believe it is very good. It should be evident we are not looking to kick this out the door, by our continual changes we are making with the front inlet.

But by all means if someone still feels the 1.75" is intolerable, then certainly do not order a 2" setup, and we can remove you from the list. Perhaps someday someone else will offer you a 1.5" just to ensure there is clearance around the entire tube, but we really do not think it will be us. Ultimately I feel we already have the absolute best compromise that can be had from a setup like this.

Thanks,
Rob

(#507)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The only way to "fix" this is reduce yet again the size of the hose. We feel we are at a good compromise with the size we have chosen, and the picture is very telling of why that is...

We have disclosed very clearly what we are offering here and have shown pictures showing the fitment and we believe it is very good. It should be evident we are not looking to kick this out the door, by our continual changes we are making with the front inlet.

But by all means if someone still feels the 1.75" is intolerable, then certainly do not order a 2" setup, and we can remove you from the list. Perhaps someday someone else will offer you a 1.5" just to ensure there is clearance around the entire tube, but we really do not think it will be us. Ultimately I feel we already have the absolute best compromise that can be had from a setup like this.

Thanks,
Rob
I understand, but what if you kept the area but instead of making it round made it ellipse shaped would that not ensure the clearance back there?
(#508)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-19-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell
I understand, but what if you kept the area but instead of making it round made it ellipse shaped would that not ensure the clearance back there?
The extremely minor squish we are dealing with here probably is not even affecting the ID (see picture), but if it was, it would be just that an ever so slight ellipse. Trust me in saying that we are looking out for making a nice upgrade here, if we were not, we would've just ran with making it in 2".

Rob

(#509)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 08-19-2015, 12:17 PM

One of the first things I did when I started modding my 135, was to have custom inlets created using aluminum. Even though I didn't dyno for comparison, there's no question that they did have a positive affect on my OEM turbos and HP.

We cut out the stock rear tube to get it out, created as much clearance as possible modifying the firewall and removing the old bracket. The narrow space that was still there was accomodated by making the tube a bit flatter there. We were welding sections of the aluminum tube, and thus the flow was not ideal, but it was clearly better than stock. These inlets contributed to making enough power to run my fast 1/4 mile times, I'm positive of it.

These new, smooth-path inlets are so much better, that a little squish should make no difference at all. The only problem I see is why didn't I think of them?!

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#510)
Old

Car: n54 335
Default 08-19-2015, 12:38 PM

can you remove me from the list please thank you

751WHP 688WTQ
JP Works Kit Record
SOLD: E90 335i 751whp 688WTQ
CURRENT: E82 135i (under construction)
Visit my website VaderSolution.com !
(#511)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmarji
can you remove me from the list please thank you
Done sir!

(#512)
Old

Car: 2008 335i 6MT
Default 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Hi Rob,

First time poster here. Can you add me to the list if it's not too late for adapters as well?
(#513)
Old

Car: 135i 6MT
Default 08-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your constructive criticism and sound logic. By this notion, squish is squish. So for if example you have 1mm squish you may as well have 20mm squish, as the distortion is all the same. Appreciate the kind words.
Confirm the amount of squish you have then. 1mm would not be visible to the naked eye. its obviously significant enough for you to feel the need to call out. However now that you know yours are victim to a 'squish' i'm sure you'll now have come up with an acceptable allowance that coincidentally yours falls within.

it seems pretty clear that your initial post to say squish is unacceptable was purely to deter buyers from VTT, you've never denied that you wanted to impact his market share.

Do the right thing dude, just confirm that ANY inlets (with filters) are acceptable for use with your turbos and stop trying to use the supposed VTT squish as a possible excuse for trying to move blame away from some of the dodgy turbos that have been coming to light recently.
(#514)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmac412
Hi Rob,

First time poster here. Can you add me to the list if it's not too late for adapters as well?
Added.

Quote:
Confirm the amount of squish you have then. 1mm would not be visible to the naked eye. its obviously significant enough for you to feel the need to call out. However now that you know yours are victim to a 'squish' i'm sure you'll now have come up with an acceptable allowance that coincidentally yours falls within.

it seems pretty clear that your initial post to say squish is unacceptable was purely to deter buyers from VTT, you've never denied that you wanted to impact his market share.

Do the right thing dude, just confirm that ANY inlets (with filters) are acceptable for use with your turbos and stop trying to use the supposed VTT squish as a possible excuse for trying to move blame away from some of the dodgy turbos that have been coming to light recently.
I have taken some time to work with this on the boroscope. I can tell you that it is very difficult to see anything, let alone measure anything, with black smooth walls everywhere. So the only true way to be able to do this is to take simple measurements, the measurement of the area available in the zone… and the OD of the hose. This was all done long ago, and which is one big reason why we went with the size we did. As always appreciate your non-antagonistic approach, but if you want to believe that a 2" ID silicone hose fits better than a 1.75" ID silicone hose… you may as well believe a 5" ID silicone hose will fit the same. Pictures have been posted, you are not happy with it we get it. But it is what it is.

Rob

(#515)
Old

Car: 2008 335i 6MT
Default 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanks a million!
(#516)
Old

Car: 07'' 335i coupe
Default 08-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Put me down please. Can the pcv heating adaptor be bought by itself? I already have recirc bungs

JB4 ISO - ***** less Dump ***** - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - BMW PE exhaust - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/E55 mix, running map7 - BMS Catchcan - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
(#517)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi jb4 dci
Default 08-20-2015, 06:54 PM

Add me to the list + adapters.
Thanks
(#518)
Old

Default 08-20-2015, 07:21 PM

Please add me to the list with adapters!
(#519)
Old

Car: '09 E90
Default 08-21-2015, 04:25 AM

Rob, is it possible to rotate the PCV heater 180 degrees so it will face my BMS OCC? Will the wiring still reach? The reason I ask is I'd like remove that u-turn in the OCC hose and go straight into the inlet.
(#520)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-21-2015, 07:21 AM

No adapters (Option 1) $250 Includes 2 inlet tubes and 4 stainless worm clamps for air box and compressor side interface.
Adapters (Option 2) $300 Includes option 1 PLUS 3 custom CNC adapters (2 recirc bungs, 1 PCV heater element seat/stainless ring), silicone blanking caps (for recircs), and 3 stainless worm clamps customized for the adapters.

Those who are in please note if you want the adapter options or not as well

N54Tech List:
1. brnmcn + adapters
2. CHECKERED + adapters
3. crimson335 + adapters
4. Tova86 + adapters
5. Fr3nch35
6. NA55 + adapters
7. dontask
8. cleancutx + adapters
9. Infamy + adapters
10. Nexic
11. Milan + adapters
12. moerhhi + adapters
13. dkfx + adapters
14. Optigrab + adapters
15. Spxxx
16. Chavoos + adapters
17. mike082802 + adapters
18. CBlasek + adapters
19. barrettgpeck + adapters
20. Riceball777 + adapters
21. SPANKY + adapters
22. matthewo + adapters
23. Acetech + adapters
24. triggz + adapters
25. Selene + adapters
26. BobbyDupps + adapters
27. dawhiz + adapters
28. jdm5596 + adapters
29. dotCEO + adapters
30. ThreeDirtyFive
31. scottycs
32. TN54 + adapters
33. LuniZ74 + adapters
34. Kish2604 + adapters
35. Icarium + adapters
36. Wil859 + adapters
37. E90gone + adapters
38. E90gone + adapters
39. tullnd + adapters
40. e92fady + adapters
41. LaCross
42. JValenzSD + adapters
43. 01bird + adapters
44. BimmerBorn39 + adapters
45. e60wagon
46. 135i + adapters
47. thm8d + adapters
48. brendan + adapters
49. kamiakzie22
50. str8shot + adapters
51. Russjonesr + adapters
52. autoparadiseuk + adapters
53. Maudlin335i + adapters
54. dbworld4k + adapters
55. LQQKOUT + adapters
56. zero2sixtyZ + adapters
57. cya + adapters
58. 335IVE + adapters
59. JazRedGT + adapters
60. y09gsn + adapters
61. Hippo Tim + adapters
62. Welterweight + adapters
63. MadMan77 + adapters
64. DILUSI + adapters
65. Acuracy + adapters
66. BRZZRSN54 + adapters
67. Pohjoisen Poika + adapters
68. solishe + adapters
69. AusMatty + adapters
70. Roman335is + adapters
71. Nniftyfour + adapters
72. crazyyardie
73. Kiki_95 + adapters
74. BMOEW + adapters
75. Lurcher99 + adapters
76. Hibbyfor + adapters
77. bryce + adapters
78. B00$TED + adapters
79. mikeseli + adapters
80. Hellkite + adapters
81. bmsportzn135i + adapters
82. max + adapters
83. nonjingus + adapters
84. goodboy1451 + adapters
85. trebila + adapters
86. doc 335 + adapters
87. tofu + adapters
88. cmiggz + adapters
89. chrisruf911 + adapters
90. mountie + adapters
91. amsnow440 + adapters
92. Element + adapters
93. Element + adapters
94. kt0510 + adapters
95. chi335xi + adapters
96. Flatspot + adapters
97. jtrejo + adapters
98. LudaN54 + adapters
99. Odan.be + adapters
100. fryj00 + adapters
101. jyeah + adapters
102. CharliesN54 + adapters
103. dlp3719 + adapters
104. harrychiu012 + adapters
105. Docalex1 + adapters
106. Immoralus + adapters
107. mykal +adapters
108. Pure Turbos + adapters
109. jacobniell+ adapters
110. jlcf22 + adapters
111. HansWurst + adapters
112. Tin + adapters
113. RajB + adapters
114. 328ijunkie + adapters
115. Phlonx + adapters
116. Kboss335 + adapters
117. Enfiftyfore + adapters
118. Martijn + adapters
119. limitdown + adapters
120. dontask + adapters
121. Murph335 + adapters
122. mfish123 + adapters
123. jtav7467+ adapters
124. cbmac412 + adapters
125. bmwheath + adapters
126. DRAMOS + adapters
127. Reiss91 + adapters
128. DSCOFF + adapters
etc

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THE 5 Series guys:

Doing some last minute due diligence we have found that the OEM inlets for the 5 series show a different part number. What this means about fitment of these inlets on a 5 series leaves us uncertain. Obviously a test fitment will be necessary to make any further confirmations. Hopefully this list does not contain many 5 series customers otherwise there could be some upsets with pressing forward only to find they do NOT fit. What we do know is that other offerings have claimed theirs fit on all models and thus we suspect ours will the same, but feel that it is worth pointing out now rather than later.

5 Series List:
1. longnvu + adapters
2. Timmay77 + adapters
3. Duperstar + adapters
4. viperware + adapters
5. Maximum996 + adapters
6. UnderPressure + adapters
7. Trickcruiser + adapters
8. duracell8 + adapters
9. JWMich + adapters
10. hkninja + adapters
11. Seven11 + adapters

UPDATE: Shipping costs have been calculated as flat rates worldwide per below:

Domestic: FedEx Ground $30 (1-4 days)
(US Protectorates) USPS Priority Mail $40 OR USPS Priority Mail Express $75

International: USPS Priority Mail International $75 (6-10 days) OR USPS Priority Mail Express International $100 (3-5 days)

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-21-2015 at 08:20 AM..
(#521)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath
Put me down please. Can the pcv heating adaptor be bought by itself? I already have recirc bungs
It is the same cost either way, so you can just discard the ones we send if you like yours better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal
Rob, is it possible to rotate the PCV heater 180 degrees so it will face my BMS OCC? Will the wiring still reach? The reason I ask is I'd like remove that u-turn in the OCC hose and go straight into the inlet.
For custom applications, you can always buy whatever preformed silicone hose you wish and adjoin to our provision via an insert and clamps and angle/direct/guide the hose however you wish. But they will come as pictured, the rest of the custom work is up to you.

UPDATE: Version 3 front hose is due in by tonight. Hopefully this goes well. If so we will open up GB payment for Saturday-Wednesday and the GB will be closed thereafter (aside for the 5 series guys on this list now, who will wait in limbo until further notice). We would like to place our order by latest Thursday next week, again, all provided we are happy with our latest sample. If not back around we go again.

(#522)
Old

Car: 335i coupe N54
Default 08-21-2015, 07:37 AM

Rob, are these inlets less intrusive to install than TFT inlets? And does the same thing I presume..? Mine is RHD N54

2009 N54 335i coupe, 6AT PD trans, Stage 3 XHP, Built Motor, 9.6:1 Comp Ratio, Ported Head, Trebilia Custom Flash, JB4, Mhd flasher, Ngk 97506 0.018 gapped, PI Kit 100% E85, Jb4 PI integration, Stage 2 Pure Turbos 25.6psi, 17.2 deg timing, TFT inlets, Stage 3 Fuel-it Fpr, FBO, 431rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus

2016 M4 Competition Pack, 7-sp DCT, Jb4 Map 6
25.0 psi, s55 ign e85 Bef, E70, M4 plugs gapped 0.020, stock everything else, 374.9 rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus
(#523)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Rob, are these inlets less intrusive to install than TFT inlets? And does the same thing I presume..? Mine is RHD N54
Today or tonight we will get some good pictures (hopefully) of the finished production units. There have been several pictures posted in the thread already sporadically throughout.

They are less intrusive as they run in the OEM locations and are obviously much cheaper, but they are also just a couple silicone hoses and adapters vs. a handcrafted stainless system as well.

(#524)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-21-2015, 07:46 AM

Pictures (rear unit is production ready, front is not in picture):
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=351
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=499

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-21-2015 at 07:59 AM..
(#525)
Old

Car: 335i coupe N54
Default 08-21-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Today or tonight we will get some good pictures (hopefully) of the finished production units. There have been several pictures posted in the thread already sporadically throughout.

They are less intrusive as they run in the OEM locations and are obviously much cheaper, but they are also just a couple silicone hoses and adapters vs. a handcrafted stainless system as well.
So I presume even for RHD cars, the steering col issue will not apply as with TFT inlets?

Will you have an install guide as well for RHD cars?

TX

2009 N54 335i coupe, 6AT PD trans, Stage 3 XHP, Built Motor, 9.6:1 Comp Ratio, Ported Head, Trebilia Custom Flash, JB4, Mhd flasher, Ngk 97506 0.018 gapped, PI Kit 100% E85, Jb4 PI integration, Stage 2 Pure Turbos 25.6psi, 17.2 deg timing, TFT inlets, Stage 3 Fuel-it Fpr, FBO, 431rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus

2016 M4 Competition Pack, 7-sp DCT, Jb4 Map 6
25.0 psi, s55 ign e85 Bef, E70, M4 plugs gapped 0.020, stock everything else, 374.9 rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus
Closed Thread