N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3826)
Old

Default 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Terry,
Could you add in a future release of JB4 firmware a setting that permits to close completely (100% DC) the waste gates at idle or lift-off throttle?

To do something comparable as the 1M with the M button engaged.
This could enhance the spool-up time of turbo and reduce lag for cars still affected by this (MSD80)

I monitored the total WG DC% with a led in parallel to the solenoids, at idle or lift-off the DC% is quite low (WG open) in my car on map1 JB4
(#3827)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118
Terry,
Could you add in a future release of JB4 firmware a setting that permits to close completely (100% DC) the waste gates at idle or lift-off throttle?

To do something comparable as the 1M with the M button engaged.
This could enhance the spool-up time of turbo and reduce lag for cars still affected by this (MSD80)

I monitored the total WG DC% with a led in parallel to the solenoids, at idle or lift-off the DC% is quite low (WG open) in my car on map1 JB4
It won't reduce lag or spool up time, but in some cars will reduce wastegate rattle when letting off the gas. We actually have this in the BETA firmware for testing. Email me if you want to try it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3828)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Any way that the values learned by the map 5 be saved (as a baseline) when switching to another map?
Same thing for map 3.
That way, when switching back to map5/3, it would not have to learn from scratch.
Just asking
(#3829)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Default 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM

For some reason Menu 1 stays on 3......which is i beleive Autoclear....I want it off, i bring it all the way to 0, bring the Menu to 0 and hit the volume down, but it wont save.

Any ideas? It's irritating the 'ish outta me haha...I'm going to go play with it some more maybe i gotta set my car on Menu 5 to 335i metric or whatever, idk...will try. But if anyone else knows anything...Please do tell me. ty

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#3830)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi
For some reason Menu 1 stays on 3......which is i beleive Autoclear....I want it off, i bring it all the way to 0, bring the Menu to 0 and hit the volume down, but it wont save.

Any ideas? It's irritating the 'ish outta me haha...I'm going to go play with it some more maybe i gotta set my car on Menu 5 to 335i metric or whatever, idk...will try. But if anyone else knows anything...Please do tell me. ty
Read Page 1 - you have to move to "4" to disable autoclear.

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
(#3831)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Default 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX
Read Page 1 - you have to move to "4" to disable autoclear.
lol Grrr...idk how i keep missing things, i gotta slow down on my reading. Thanks man.

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#3832)
Old

Car: 08 e90 335i
Default 01-28-2012, 08:08 PM

Nvm figured it out.

Last edited by iFRANChISe; 01-29-2012 at 01:23 PM..
(#3833)
Old

Default 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It won't reduce lag or spool up time, but in some cars will reduce wastegate rattle when letting off the gas. We actually have this in the BETA firmware for testing. Email me if you want to try it.

Why shouldn't it reduce the lag?

In the 1M pressing the M button the WG is closed at idle and low load to spin the turbo and reducing the lag. Why this would not apply to the 335/135?
(#3834)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118
Why shouldn't it reduce the lag?

In the 1M pressing the M button the WG is closed at idle and low load to spin the turbo and reducing the lag. Why this would not apply to the 335/135?
We already close the wastegates when in motion and pushing the gas in more than 0%. The only thing we don't do normally is close them when letting off the gas.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3835)
Old

Default 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Terry,

Besides noise and unnecessary strain on the turbo. what are the downsides to keeping the waste gates closed at idle?

Just curious. Personally I wouldnt want that.
(#3836)
Old

Default 01-31-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We already close the wastegates when in motion and pushing the gas in more than 0%. The only thing we don't do normally is close them when letting off the gas.
Yes I noticed this by monitoring the DC % of the JB4, as soon as the gas is pushed more than 0% the DC gores briefly to 100% to close the WG as quick as possible. But I think anticipating it, by closing them always and opening them only when desired boost is reached (PID) could reduce lag a bit.

This is indeed a good solution to rattle, many think to avoid rattle by opening the WG so far that the flapper don't touch any more the seat, but close it to avoid movement (and rattle) of the flapper is even better!
(#3837)
Old

Default 01-31-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss91
Terry,

Besides noise and unnecessary strain on the turbo. what are the downsides to keeping the waste gates closed at idle?

Just curious. Personally I wouldn't want that.
BMW is doing it on the 1M with M button engaged and maybe on the early 2007 335i program (pre 29.2)

All other boost actuated WG turbos have the WG closed at idle!!! (it needs boost to open)

Except little more wear, and less MPG efficiency there shouldn't be any inconvenience???
(#3838)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss91
Terry,

Just curious. Personally I wouldnt want that.
Likely minimal downsides. The current test firmware closes them when letting off the gas, but then after ~4 seconds lets them go back to their natural state. Seems to work as the rattle comes up only when letting off the gas.

Burger Motorsports

(#3839)
Old

Default 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Is it possible to have the car make a sound when the shift lights come on? i can never see my shift lights
(#3840)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 02-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacula
Is it possible to have the car make a sound when the shift lights come on? i can never see my shift lights
That would be cool. If Terry wants to look into it I've seen a audio test menu in INPA that basically plays a generic tone to test each speaker.
(#3841)
Old

Car: 335xi Sport
Default 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM

at 105K miles and 30% of those miles meth/dci/93oct/jb4ish i am starting to hear a little bit of wategate rattle from inside the car. It doesn't help that I have the cowling removed!

The noise that i hear is a faint rattle (like valve tap) at very low rpm's.....if i am in any gear and not taching to high and let off gas pedal i can hear that valve tapping noise for a split second or two....if i give the gas ever so slightly and let off ever so slightly that little tapping noise comes back.....weird. Almost like that pinging sound feel on a car (not bmw) with low octaine gas.

I was at first worried that a valve was loose or something, but the car runds awesome, no codes and recent oil change didn't change noise.

2013 335i M-Sport - 6MT - Not too many mods.....Yet !
(#3842)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerocious
That would be cool. If Terry wants to look into it I've seen a audio test menu in INPA that basically plays a generic tone to test each speaker.
Would need access to that to scan the CAN commands for the tones.

Burger Motorsports

(#3843)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i coupe
Default 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Terry,
Is it possible to add a feature of always showing the current gear on the dash

2008 Alpine White 335i E92, 6AT, Saddle Brown Leather, NAV, CF roundels, M3 steering wheel with M3 paddle shifters, Aero lip, painted kidneys (white / black), painted lower grilles (black), debadged, M3 spoiler, ST V1 coilovers, 19" CSL wheels.
, JB4 ISO 5, BMS DCI, AA Intercooler, Coolingmist methanol kit, Forge Diverter Valves, BMS 3", CPE Charge-pipe, BMS Oil T-state bypass, RB PCV
(#3844)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_335i_coupe
Terry,
Doesn't it already do that? The only thing we could do would be to show gear on the oil or fuel gauge, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#3845)
Old
IXLR8

Car: 335xi
Default 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_335i_coupe
Terry,
You must be referring to when the car is in normal auto mode, because the wife's car shows up when in manual mode. For me, mine is a MT and I always know what gear I'm in!
(#3846)
Old

Car: '07 E92 335iA
Default 02-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Terry, thanks for the added info in the first post. Cleared up a few questions about some features.
(#3847)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Just checking in to see how the aggressive map testing is coming and if there are any plans for a more aggressive meth map in the works.

Thanks for all the hard work T!
(#3848)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Non-meth stuff is coming along nicely. With meth performance is really just a function of octane, meth quality, and your meth additive setting. So although the new firmware will help clean up the fueling end a bit down low performance is going to be more or less be unchanged.

Burger Motorsports

(#3849)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Default 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Question, Menu 8 stays on 2600 on my jb4, is that normal/default or i touched it n forgot...thx

(#3850)
Old
IXLR8

Car: 335xi
Default 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM

I have to chuckle at the map8. What are you gonna do when a hot chic pulls up to you in her svt focus and wants to put it to you, and she does...be strong...be ready. Be BMW! Need I say more? No one underestimates a BMW... No one! Anyone with me... Hear me?...