N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M140i
Default RHD B58 Manual JB4 install - 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Hi,

Just wondering if there is anyone who could help me with the OBD installation for a manual RHD B58, the usual bung people use on the autos is taken up by a clutch cable.. canít see anywhere else to route it except for out of the door which looks a little unsightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM

It will fit but it is hard, you will have to be careful. I too have it routed through my door in between my fender so you can't see it though. My M4 is manual so I didn't feel like it either lol.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Preserve the Standard!

Car: 340i 6MT
Default 09-06-2018, 10:02 PM

I just installed the JB4 on my 340 6MT. The previous owner cut the wire and reconnected it in the engine bay. I shoved a long screwdriver between the cable and the grommet from inside the bay poking into the interior. Then from inside the car I duct-taped the cut wire to the screwdriver. From the engine bay I slowly pulled back on the screwdriver. The tape gave out just after the wire came through. I have no idea how anyone could fit the connector that's supposed to go through there.

But if I had a brand new JB4, I'd have a hard time cutting that wire...
(#4)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 09-06-2018, 10:51 PM

You could unpin the connector (jb4 side) and pull everything through, then repin. There's tools available to do so. I have a very small screw driver and pin set that did the trick. Made things much easier. You must be careful not to damage the pins though.
(#5)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 09-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1810
Hi,

Just wondering if there is anyone who could help me with the OBD installation for a manual RHD B58, the usual bung people use on the autos is taken up by a clutch cable.. can’t see anywhere else to route it except for out of the door which looks a little unsightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...822#post581822

My setup is reverse (LHD) but everything is the same. You drive on the right, so put your JB4 under the left (passenger) cowl.

EDIT: Realized the photo you want is not in that DIY I did. However you CAN get the OBD (CANbus) wire in through the hole with the clutch cable. I'll look for a photo.

You need a long screwdriver or very rigid fish tape. Inside your car, remove the footwell cover underneath the steering wheel and above the pedals, and set it aside. Careful not to dislodge your clutch sensor for the ignition. Then from the engine compartment, punch through the rubber holding the clutch cable, and continue pushing till the foamy membrane is punctured on the inside of the car, and you can see the tip of your tool from the inside (hint: use a flashlight). Remove as much of the rubber as possible so the entire hole is exposed; this gives you the space to push the clutch cable off to one side so you can fit more stuff. Then take the molex end of the CANbus (OBD) cable and push it up through the hole from the inside of the car, out to the engine compartment. You will need to finagle it a little - use grease or even olive oil and try to push the clutch cable off to the opposite side. Run the wire to the JB4. As per the DIY photo, it's long enough to stretch it across the cowl to the passenger side, which is a good place for the JB4.

The hole is wide enough for the clutch cable, the CANbus wire, and yes, even my 1/4" methanol tubing line. You will be good to go.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane

Last edited by MasterYous; 09-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: more details
(#6)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM

Check this...very simple

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52905:)

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
This is awesome! Thank you for that tool, never though of that.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.