N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Upgraded ** worth it for map 2? - 08-17-2018, 07:44 AM

I'm running map 2 because of fueling. Is it worth it to get a **? I've heard back and forth about throttle closures so am concerned about grabbing this if it causes more issues than it helps.
(#2)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM

There is not nearly enough information about your setup, car, etc to even remotely understand what you want to know. Nor your goals. There are all sorts of different p1pez some with deletes and some not. Also I personally do not understand what “running map2 because of fueling” might mean...

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM

No gains, as long as you have the octane for that you will be good.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Apologies for not being overly clear.

1. Stock 340i with jb4 on map2
2. In the end I'd like to have >400whp so looking at a tune/BEF in the future but right now wanting to stick with just the jb4 until there are more miles put on the tunes/bef.

The reason I'm on map2 (because of fueling) is due to having both my map2 and map3 logs reviewed and being told that I would need additional fueling to move to map3. I'm not looking to do meth at this point in time and I don't have easy access to e85 but do have access to 93 octane (North Carolina).

Thanks
(#5)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-17-2018, 12:53 PM

I mean I think Payam probably knows more than I do, but at your "stage" I wouldn't expect major gains from putting in a p1pe, particularly if it's not got any deletes. Your limiting factor is octane, like it is with almost all of us on this platform. E85 by itself is not going to help you get to 400whp either, not with the DME fuel cap. Use race gas, and maybe the BMS intake and you could get to map 3. No guarantee it will get you to 400whp though.

You've ruled out your best bet, which is methanol with 93 octane gas. Outside of a flash tune and better octane, that is the single best upgrade for you at this point.

You could upgrade your stock turbo to a PURE stage 2. There's a thread for that in B58 as well. That kind of an upgrade, plus meth, and you will be roaring, even without the flash. Then the flash will layer on, allowing you to do even more, with richer AFRs.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#6)
Old

Default 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM

Completely agree. I feel like my options in the future are meth and intake or ******** and flash. Neither route is warranty friendly unfortunately but was thinking of going the flash route since it's "simpler" but I don't want to jump in too early out of an abundance of caution. So I guess my thought is would it be wise to get a p1pe without the kitties now and run that on map 2 or just wait and try and do p1pe and tune at the same time.
(#7)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdoming
Completely agree. I feel like my options in the future are meth and intake or ******** and flash. Neither route is warranty friendly unfortunately but was thinking of going the flash route since it's "simpler" but I don't want to jump in too early out of an abundance of caution. So I guess my thought is would it be wise to get a p1pe without the kitties now and run that on map 2 or just wait and try and do p1pe and tune at the same time.
Not much about this hobby is "warranty friendly," but a flash is possibly the least friendly - BMW will know if you've flashed a DME even if you flash stock back. If you install a meth kit properly, you can hide or remove most of it if needed. No one outside of a body shop will be pulling your panels apart so the line probably not be discovered.

I speak only from personal experience, not as fact.

You have many more options than what you put forth in the future, btw. You could go full bolt-ons (p1pes, deletes, intake) + HPFP + LPFP + JB4/BEF + meth + turbo upgrade + manifold upgrade + .... the list goes on. Some things work well together and some things are interdependent. Like, a flash might let you put in some racing-only exhaust mods without throwing codes, etc. You gotta do the research on all the options.

(#8)
Old

Default 08-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Are there any diys for installing/removing meth kits? I agree about the flash being decently easily discoverable which is why I'm holding off but as you said regardless of the route I go warranty risk is a hazard of the hobby. Maybe I have the wrong impression of meth but I feel like it will be a decent amount of time spent installing and tuning it to get it running well where a flash is more of a "one and done" solution and tends to run smoother.

I guess I'm looking for any steps I can start taking toward one of those directions or both. Not sure where p1pes fall on that list. Are p1pes needed for a meth setup with the jb4?
(#9)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM

No, meth can be standalone. I run meth (as do others) without p1pez.

Meth requires less tuning than you think. BMS has already done the hard work in Map 7. If you want to tweak you can build a custom Map 6 and turn meth on, as a fun next step.

There are some DIYs in the DIY forum so you get a general idea. Very few to none for B58. Installing a meth kit is time consuming but it is not intellectually challenging. There are three parts to the install- running the meth line and pump power cord from engine to trunk; doing the electrical connections in the engine bay; and doing the plumbing/tank installation in the trunk. I will eventually post my DIY but for an F22/23. Yours will be very similar but not 100% the same.

The nice thing about meth is it will always be useful/additive, even with full bolt ons and a tune, as an octane booster and ambient temp cooler.

(#10)
Old

Car: 540i G30
Default 08-19-2018, 01:44 PM

I have zero problems with mine.

Im on E50, 100% meth, 40 additive, dual CM7
(#11)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Wicked do you have any other mods? How is smoothness of the shifts and acceleration? I already run into some hesitation on map 2 so concerned about how this would feel.
(#12)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Wicked do you have any other mods? How is smoothness of the shifts and acceleration? I already run into some hesitation on map 2 so concerned about how this would feel.
No, the only mods are the ones I listed. Acceleration is smooth and shifts are crisp.

Meth and some e85 really made the world of a difference
(#13)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedowesix
Meth and some e85 really made the world of a difference
^^^^ same - I'm flirting with 19 psi pending some fine-tuning. All I have is the JB4 (w/all optional connectors) and the BMS intake in addition to meth.

(#14)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
^^^^ same - I'm flirting with 19 psi pending some fine-tuning. All I have is the JB4 (w/all optional connectors) and the BMS intake in addition to meth.
My car is a 540i and on draggy its gone 12.06@119 mph with 2.0 60'
(#15)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Are the optional connectors needed/helpful for this type of setup?
(#16)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Are the optional connectors needed/helpful for this type of setup?
IMO yes they are
(#17)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM

I don't see them on the BMS website, do you have a link to where they are available?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in a different section

Last edited by jrdoming; 08-20-2018 at 07:28 PM..
(#18)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Could someone give me a run down on what this optional connectors do and how I will be able to take advantage of them in my setup?

Currently I'm stock other than jb4 on map 2. Will likely go with a BMS meth kit running 50/50 for the street.
(#19)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedowesix
My car is a 540i and on draggy its gone 12.06@119 mph with 2.0 60'
Impressive. Most impressive.

(#20)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Could someone give me a run down on what this optional connectors do and how I will be able to take advantage of them in my setup?

Currently I'm stock other than jb4 on map 2. Will likely go with a BMS meth kit running 50/50 for the street.
If you're going to use Map 6 then the EWG connector is a must. I don't know if the wastegate control it provides is active on Map 7, but I plan on turning meth on Map 6 eventually and you really need the EWG connector then. I think there is split thinking about whether or not the FF wire (aka fuel pressure connector) is worth it, but it seemed to help me when adding some E85. One must be very careful with E85 on this platform because of the fuel cap (unless you get a flash). I don't use more than 2.5 gal, although I saw someone on this forum saying he had 1/4 tank of it...

(#21)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Ah okay so it sounds like ewg might help me but I have almost zero access to e85 sadly. Last station near me shutdown.

2017 340i M Sport. JB4
(#22)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
If you're going to use Map 6 then the EWG connector is a must. I don't know if the wastegate control it provides is active on Map 7, but I plan on turning meth on Map 6 eventually and you really need the EWG connector then. I think there is split thinking about whether or not the FF wire (aka fuel pressure connector) is worth it, but it seemed to help me when adding some E85. One must be very careful with E85 on this platform because of the fuel cap (unless you get a flash). I don't use more than 2.5 gal, although I saw someone on this forum saying he had 1/4 tank of it...
Im currently on E50 without any issues