JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i N54 Manual
Default Is This a Different Kind of Engine Noise? - 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Hi, Thereís a slight change in my carís engine note, accelerating on medium throttle through somewhere around 3000 rpm. Noticeable for around 500rpm or a little more, in second and third gear (135iC N54, 6MT.) Almost like one of those ďzizzĒ vibration noises from under dash, but itís an engine noise, much more mechanical, without being at all loud - itís just a temporary change in tone. Is this an N54 characteristic, eg a Vanos phase? Iím guessing they all do that, but Iíve never even been in another Ė I live in the Land of the 318d! So Thanks!
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 01-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Turbo wastegate noise?
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i N54 Manual
Default 01-12-2014, 03:59 AM

Thanks. I’m thinking you’re on the right sort of track, in that it’s such a small noise, and does sound like a thin piece of tinwork momentarily vibrating. But as my car’s only done 2000 miles, and this comes on just for a very short while at 3000rpm even at say one third throttle and when the car’s warmed, I think it could be a very slightly noisier than usual exhaust flap, dancing for a few moments on the point of opening. Thanks for replying - looks like very small basic point, but sensible and actually quite enjoyable to be aware of everything on your N54! Of course my other trusty E36 328 Coupe just runs like a train and produces nothing other than incredible pure BMW straight six sound!
(#4)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM

Ever figure out what it was?