N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default HP fuel pump going out? - 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM

I've got an appointment with the dealer Monday to replace the HP fuel pump under the 10 yr/120k mile extended warranty on these pumps. The dealer said they'd charge my $150 if they diagnosed my issue not to be the HPFP.

The car has 98k miles on it now. Here is what is going on.

A couple days ago I noticed the car momentarily fell on its face when I accelerated changing lanes. No codes and it didn't do it again. Later I thought I'd take a log to see if there was something going on. I got a 29DC during 2018-04-26 20_01_58 log. You can see fp_h was at 3 when it kicked to map 4 and threw the code.

The next morning headed to work the car just started falling on its face and stumbling with very little throttle. No codes. I grabbed 2018-04-27 07_05_24 log and it did stumble during this log and fp_h went down to 1! I flipped it to map 4 for the rest of the drive and it was fine. Now back in map 3 for the past few days it hasn't happened...

I took another log the next day and fp_h seemed ok. 2018-04-28 08_18_59.

Does anyone know how the dealer will test to see if the HPFP is bad? I have no predictable symptoms. Any advice on what to tell them to convince them?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-04-28 08_18_59.csv (5.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: csv 2018-04-27 07_05_24.csv (6.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: csv 2018-04-26 20_01_58.csv (6.4 KB, 147 views)

09 335xi - 6AT - JB4 - hot side inlets - *** - MHD Flash - 7" IC - Fuel-It TBI
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-28-2018, 11:31 PM

In the 2nd log, FP-H is in the 2s, safe to say it’s on its last legs.

They may test it, but from my experience they’ll see if it’s throwing / storing any codes.

If you have a solid relationship with your SA, this shouldn’t be difficult

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-29-2018, 07:59 AM

Thanks Dave. I don’t often show up at the dealer, but I’ve bought three cars there. I hope that bought some good will! :-D

(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmyth
Thanks Dave. I donít often show up at the dealer, but Iíve bought three cars there. I hope that bought some good will! :-D
Best of luck, I think youíll be ok

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 04:40 PM

Heard back from the dealer. Despite the logs, they found an EKPS: Control current too high code. He said they ran through all the steps on how to trace this. checking wire connections to the pump, fuel module, etc. They want to replace the LPFP which is a Stage 2 about 2.5 years old. Seems wrong given the log on the LPFP seems solid in the logs. Any thoughts on this?

(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-30-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Heard back from the dealer. Despite the logs, they found an EKPS: Control current too high code. He said they ran through all the steps on how to trace this. checking wire connections to the pump, fuel module, etc. They want to replace the LPFP which is a Stage 2 about 2.5 years old. Seems wrong given the log on the LPFP seems solid in the logs. Any thoughts on this?
Seems 100% wrong imo.

Personally Iíd tell them not to touch the LPFP...

You got another dealer you can go to?

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 05-01-2018, 04:34 AM

Thanks Dave. I agree. I told them to put it back together and leave it alone. Picking it up today and I’m going to try to convince them to give me a discount on a hpfp.

(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I agree. I told them to put it back together and leave it alone. Picking it up today and Iím going to try to convince them to give me a discount on a hpfp.
You may want to mention youíve monitored HPFP pressure yourself too & you know itís low..

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 05-01-2018, 03:11 PM

I think you'll find that it's normal for a S2 Fuel-It pump to draw more current than OEM (perhaps Dave/Steve can confirm) so the dealer's initial findings are sort of expected.

This is why some people with upgraded pumps get a code or message re the current. There's a thread here about it:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42012

Even if you don't get the code/message the dealer may still be able to see the higher draw which, if they don't know about your upgrade, could make them think the lpfp has an issue.

Good choice re telling them to put back together.

If they won't play ball then you could look at obtaining a hpfp via an independent source and fitting yourself. Here's a DIY from Steve at Fuel-It:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22676

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s | KW3 Coilovers
(#10)
Old

Default 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I showed them logs with low readings. The SA is kind of young, so he doesn't quite know how to push. He is doing his best to get me a deep discount on a new HPFP, which I appreciate!

(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I showed them logs with low readings. The SA is kind of young, so he doesn't quite know how to push. He is doing his best to get me a deep discount on a new HPFP, which I appreciate!
Hope it works out!

Wish you were local, Iíd send you to my buddy at the dealership- I dropped my car off w. the single kit & got a new HPFP.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Update and further advice/diagnosis would be great.

The dealer gave me a decent discount on a new hpfp. I installed that and all seemed well for a few weeks. The original low HP fuel pressure issue went away but now this is happening.

Cruising on the highway and the car just died. This has happened twice over the past 3 weeks. Trying to restart the car immediately results in cranking with no firing. No fuel kind of long crank. After waiting a few minutes sheíll fire but immediately dies. The first time it happened, waiting 45 minutes ďfixedĒ it. The second time I removed the back seat on a hunch... who touched the car last before me and what did they touch? The dealer and their lpfp pump theory. Guess what? The lpfp pump cover was actually bolted on. Pic attached. I found the nuts and the techs socket under the seat. The wires looked like they werenít going to the same place I recalled. Anyway. I put the nuts on and it fired back up. I also fidled with the wires. Iím not sure this really cured the issue unless the wires somehow got messed up. Needless to say Iíll be having some words with the dealer.

The codes I received are below. Any ideas what to test or replace?

29DC Cylinder injection switch-off
29F2 High Pressure Pump / Open Loop Set Too High

(#13)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 11:32 AM

pick added...
Attached Images

(#14)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Possible EKP module going out?

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#15)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Dunno. Would that cause the car to die and magically work again?

(#16)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 02:05 PM

A little searching tells me it would... off to eBay.

(#17)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 06-27-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Dunno. Would that cause the car to die and magically work again?
Quote:
A little searching tells me it would... off to eBay.

Let us know if that fixes it.

Recommend buying a new, not used.

(#18)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 06:02 AM

Thanks all for the help. I ended up buying a new one, had it coded, and the problem has gone away!

(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the help. I ended up buying a new one, had it coded, and the problem has gone away!

Time for more power

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 07-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:

No problem